SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:12 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,259 Posts
Discussion
NZ north Island

We had a great weekend here in the north island, friday was the best with a trip to long gully with the wellington guys.

Started off with some font side flying at a good site to test out some models, ie: revamped mauler, afp60 big wing, garaths mauler with new wing, stepfan's sawtooth on a afp fuse. All flew great easy landings on a big site.

Then is was off for the action we all met at the main gate to long gully and had 7 pilots apon getting to the site good amount of wind, a little bumpy though.

Great flying for the day with a lot of us getting new PB's. AFP's went awesome, garath sorted out the AFP big wing and it was really going, but we never learn, it was a test DS flight and it really started to go the opp's nylon bolts and bang and she blew apart, wing recovered and good, fuse never found along with rx and lost model alarm. video to follow.
Maulers went well but maxed out at around 150mph with tail flutter (as alex said would be).
Swift went to slopies heaven with a poor setup landing approach with no way out and pounching rocks. Jono's burner finished with some bad damage after running into rock wall at 132mph.
Two good days of flying all staying at jono's on friday night then up to parmy sat night for a build session on sunday finishing with a bbq at garaths on sunday night.
So today was a recover day with a little building. New AFP's coming on line.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:31 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,648 Posts
Great report, Dave. The AFPs have potential, just need some little tweaks and they could do 200.

BIG jump from 150 to 200 though...

Have you guys been looking at expanding epoxy cores? I think you mentioned you were doing PU in the mold or something?? They seem to handle the knocks well enough.

Please post speeds in the Speed thread so all the new PBs can be added to RC Speeds

YAY!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:02 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
427 Posts
will Jono's Burner fly again? Damn shame, I thought he was leaving it in the car.
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,648 Posts
If it is just the nose that got crushed, just put an AFP fuse on it. It makes em go faster lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
306 Posts
Jonos burner wing had minimal damage. Considering what it hit, it is amazing its still in one piece. The fuse on the other hand is a gonner. The air was much smoother on Saturday. I was contemplating taking the typhoon in for a spin but there was still too much power for it. The new mauler had a good first DS session. I guess it suffered from an over eager pilot whose motto must have been "all or nothing" I should have landed it straight after the flutter, will have to learn from my mistakes. Jonos afp60 was a beautiful plank to fly. The controls were very accurate and predictable. The speed picked up as soon as the turbulence dropped, but on the day was ultimately held back by the fear of nylon bolts snapping. Will be great to see how the new improved section works with the next builds. The big wing afp was a real blast to fly. It seemed to accelerate faster than the AFP60s, carried huge energy up the hill, and banged an awesome fast turn at the top. Ultimately let down by the nylon bolts snapping, I'm sure it would have gone faster than jonos afp60.
A big thanks go to Dave and Jono for their support and trusting me to fly their planes. It really makes all the work and building worth while, getting to hang with great mates on the slope. I would have had a pretty crap weekend had it not been for these two great guys. Here's to many more excellent DS sessions and adventures in the north island of NZ.
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,648 Posts
You guys need to master the flutter probs and maybe upgrade the nylon bolts to 8mm+ or use steel.

Nothing worse than having simple little things holding you back from going fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 03:54 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
611 Posts
What a great 2 days with a good turn out on Friday with 7 pilots. I met Palmerston North team at Titahi Bay to test fly a couple of models and then we headed up to meet the rest of the Wellington guys at Long Gully. There was a pretty good wind from the north (we usually fly Long Gully in a southerly) and there was a pretty good kick even though it was a bit rough over the back.

We flew all day until six thirty ish and still no one was wanting to go home. There were 4 personal best speeds (Dave 137, Stefan 100, Pete107 and Eben142) out of 7 pilots which was pretty cool. The best speed of the day was Gareth with 157mph, my best was 142 both with my Afp60. There were a few incidents including 1 totally written off AFP 60 and a badly damaged Wind Burner but on the whole, the dense bushes and fern helped cushion the impacts of the unintentional ďlandingsĒ. Lost model alarms ruled the day and without them a few models may have been lost!

After the flying the Palmy guys came back to my place for a BBQ and did some repairs and camped the night in the rumpus room. The next morning we headed back for another attempt at some good speeds but the wind was not up to the task. The pay off however was some fairly smooth air over the back at times and a bit of foamie furball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
You guys need to master the flutter probs and maybe upgrade the nylon bolts to 8mm+ or use steel.

Nothing worse than having simple little things holding you back from going fast.

The flutter is caused by the full moving elevator on the Maulers. There is a plan already in the making to a fixed elevator on new Maulers and that should fix the issue. The planks are all good now that we are using longer horns and shorter servo arms.

The nylon bolts are usually good to 150mph ish and have saved many a model from breaking on bad landings. Gareth got my AFP to 157mph with nylon bolts with no problem but if we are expecting anything faster we have a good supply of steel bolts. Itís just a matter of remembering to use the steel ones on the windy days!!
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Apr 01, 2013, 04:37 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,648 Posts
Only problem with the Steel bolts would be lack of shearing on impacts with terra firma.

What size nylon bolts are you using? I think M8 nylon bolts would be good to near 200. Also see if you can put all your gear into the wing...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2006
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Only problem with the Steel bolts would be lack of shearing on impacts with terra firma.

What size nylon bolts are you using? I think M8 nylon bolts would be good to near 200. Also see if you can put all your gear into the wing...
We have been using M5 nylon bolts. Dave tried M6 in his first Zipper but the model tore apart before the bolts broke. With the APP 60's the gear is all in the wing

Here is a quick vid of Gareth and Eben flying

easter at long gully (2 min 32 sec)
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:32 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,648 Posts
Wel surely M6 would get you to 180, and still aide a little with landing damage??
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:00 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
I've tested a couple of 1/4" nylon bolts to 200 pounds, even bounced a little....no problem.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:33 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,640 Posts
Just picked up on this thread. Great stuff. Gee Long Gully looks like a great site. You guys have such excellent hills!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:43 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
427 Posts
Myself, Jono, and Eben, all headed back to Long Gully today for some more DSing. Wind was 50-55mph. Backside was very rough, with the occasional smooth patch, but mostly pretty rough. There was quite a bit of carnage.

I managed 120mph (PB) with my Reaper 60DS/AFP hybrid, before snapping the servo arm on impact. So, I was a spectator for the rest of the afternoon.

Jono wrote off his AFP 60, and broke the joiner in his Raven. Eben snapped the golf-club spar in his home-brew.
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined May 2006
611 Posts
We had a wild day at long Gully today.

There was plenty of wind but it was shifting from pretty rough to pretty dam rough with a few short moments where it was either not too bad but not much kick, or just downright un flyable.

I tested the air with the bat and after five minutes of a wild ride where I was more a passenger than a pilot I did not punch through the sheer and the bat turned on its back and crashed into soft bush. Hmmm I thought, I might need something a bit heavier.

Pete flew his Reaper (now sporting a nice new AFP60 fuse) and did some great laps quickly beating his personal best with a final top speed of 120mph, up from (I think) 107 before a minor crash that broke his servo arm and put him out of commission.

Eben then flew his Bat for a bit and I canít remember his speed (chip in here Eben and let us know) before I flew my Raven / AFP hybrid. The Raven was truly hauling and I think it was as fast as I have ever flown but the wing is just not up to the job and was flexing like crazy. Unfortunately no one got a chance to gun it and I dorked it on landing so did not get a chance to fly it again. It should be an easy fix though.

Eben then flew his home brew but it was too touchy for the rough conditions so he did not fly it for long and Pete flew his Bee with what looked like Ĺ a tone of lead taped to the bottom. All was going ok until the lead decided to detach itself and head off in a different direction than the Bee. This resulted in an unexpected landing on the back and another exercise break as we scoured the hill looking for the elusive glider. The Bee was found but the lead was never to be seen again

I had a long but awesome fly with the JW getting a top speed of 139mph (1mph faster that I have ever flown it) before landing successfully (finally). It was getting windier and windier, rougher and rougher but the power was getting stronger so I decided that a personal best was on offer if I could get a good flight with the AFP60. That was a mistake in hindsight, but such is life. I got 3 or 4 good circuits together before it turned over and in my panic I over corrected and hit the hill. It was really going fast and if I had of kept it together......... Well itís a good thing that I have another AFP (this one is 70 inches) on the bench under construction.

I didnít want to end the day on a bad note so I decided (double or nothing) to have a final flight with the Bat before packing up. What a wild ride that turned out to be. I was once again more a passenger than a pilot and had plenty of close calls but it was heaps of fun with speeds varying from almost zero and barely making it back over the ridge through to the 120ís.

Conclusion:
Not the perfect day but plenty of action. A good pilot with a heavy model could have broken the site record for sure

Jono
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:31 AM
Joined May 2006
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurineman View Post
Jono wrote off his AFP 60, and broke the joiner in his Raven.
The Raven spar is fine. The wood trailing edge broke and it should just glue back together (with luck) but The AFP is toast
I am not sure if I will ever get good at DS'ing but I am sure getting better at repairs