HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
PL6 & Sanyo Eneloop AA Recharging

Hi all,

I own a PL6 which is powered by a eFuel 1200w 60a PSU.

I use it at the moment primarily for lipos but for Christmas I got a small RC car (Losi Micro T) and I purchased 8 x 2500mah Eneloops for the transmitter.

My question is - can I use my PL6 (I also own the MPA) to charge these AA batteries simultaneously and to the same specification as say this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MH-C801D-Cha...7047250&sr=8-3

I thought of two solutions either use the below and charge it like a Tx/Rx pack but I thought this doesn't really take into account each individual cell as the above charge does (but does this even matter?)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Rx_Pack_.html

Or could I the use MPA somehow?

Basically I have just invested heavily into a top of the line charger and PSU and don't particularly want to invest more in another charger, I don't mind some more bits and pieces to allow me to do this with PL6.

Thanks

Rob

EDIT: I seen this post but it there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer only the issue with charging 4 cells which was a defective soldering. The second poster says they don't need to be charged separately because trickle enables self balancing and the third is charging 4 at the time but I don't know the method.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096335
Robert the Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Robert the Bruce
Last edited by Robert the Bruce; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,218 Posts
I'm charging 8 Eneloops with Powerlab using an 8 cell battery holder from RadioShack. I'm using the NiMh program.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I'm charging 8 Eneloops with Powerlab using an 8 cell battery holder from RadioShack. I'm using the NiMh program.
Thanks I'm going to do the same!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,362 Posts
Just make sure that you do a proper forming charge and all batteries within the cell holder are balanced prior to trying a peak charge on your PL6. It's also highly recommended to use a thermal feedback loop to terminate on temperature rise in the event that the charger fails to sense peak.

IMO, if you have a wall charger that came with your transmitter that charges at ~100mA or less, this would be a better option unless you're in a great hurry. I use my Hitec 55mA charger to charge the Eneloops in my transmitters nearly all of the time.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Just make sure that you do a proper forming charge and all batteries within the cell holder are balanced prior to trying a peak charge on your PL6. It's also highly recommended to use a thermal feedback loop to terminate on temperature rise in the event that the charger fails to sense peak.

IMO, if you have a wall charger that came with your transmitter that charges at ~100mA or less, this would be a better option unless you're in a great hurry. I use my Hitec 55mA charger to charge the Eneloops in my transmitters nearly all of the time.

Mark
Do I need to do this even when trickle charging?

I don't have a wall type charger (individual cells) and as I spent a whole load on my current set-up I am trying to avoid it
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:08 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,362 Posts
You do not need a charger that charges individual cells. Most transmitters come with a simple wall charger that plugs into the side of the charger that eliminates the need to remove the pack to charge. Simply plug in the included wall charger and all cells will balance and reach full charge within a few days.

Thermal feedback protection is not needed when charging at ~100mA or less. You will want to perform a non-peak charge to ensure that the charger does not false peak and all cells reach full charge.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,218 Posts
Mark, thanks for chiming in about the forming charge.
Robert, preset #23 is a NiMh trickle charge preset with the current defaulting to 100ma.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Thanks very much gents
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You do not need a charger that charges individual cells. Most transmitters come with a simple wall charger that plugs into the side of the charger that eliminates the need to remove the pack to charge. Simply plug in the included wall charger and all cells will balance and reach full charge within a few days.

Thermal feedback protection is not needed when charging at ~100mA or less. You will want to perform a non-peak charge to ensure that the charger does not false peak and all cells reach full charge.

Mark
Hi Mark

Thanks again for the reply, is there anywhere to get info on the forming charge process including calculations? I don't have another charger (I bought these as packs of 4 single cells) aside from my PL6 and I'm not 100% sure if its suitable for the forming charge.

Info from the manual;

Basic NiCd or NiMH 24 Hour Trickle Charge preset. Requires manual charge rate setting of between 10 mA and 500 mA with default value of 100 mA. Can charge from 1 to 21 cell packs. Trickle charge timeout is set for 1 Day.

I'm fairly new to hobby chargers as the majority of the time I have had a charger with the whatever required charging so any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Rob
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:09 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,362 Posts
I would do exactly as Greg suggested and do a trickle charge at 100mA or less for a day or so. You'll know your cells are fully charged when they are slightly warm (not hot) and are ~1.45 volts each.

If your cells are 2000mAh and are completely depleted, it'll take at least a day to reach full charge. When mine are completely discharged, I simply plug them into my 55mA wall charger and leave them for a few days. I've left them for up to a week at a time and suffered no ill-effects as AA cells can easily dissipate the minor amount of heat that is generated as such low currents.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:57 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
http://hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html

If you need help doing a Form / Trickle / First charge of Ni with PL6 or PL8 please use on of the links above and be sure to read the following section around six times.

Snip
Quote:
Q: How do I know if my pack is fully charged?

Temperature is the key.. always, always, always! IF THE PACK AIN'T WARM AT THE END OF THE CHARGE ROUTINE, IT AIN'T CHARGED! Note I said 'warm'. Not HOT! Hot is NEVER GOOD at the end of the charge routine.. but warm is OK. If using a temp probe, set it for 10 degrees above AMBIENT. If it's a peak controlled charger and the charger shuts down before the pack is slightly warm to the touch.. IT AIN'T FULLY CHARGED. If it's a timer controlled charger and at the end of the charge period the pack is not warm.. it's NOT fully charged yet! By far and away the biggest reason for low capacity numbers is undercharging.. if you have a 5 gallon pail with only 3 gallons in it, your only gonna get 3 gallons out of it. Engage your brain.. check temperature at the end of the charge routine!

OP asked about Sanyo Eneloops which in fact come charged to aprox. 60% capacity thus if it is the first charge from the package expect to need only aprox. 40% of normal / full charge.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Thanks again for the info, I charged them at 50mA for about 10 hours, they peaked at about 9. Weren't warm though but I assume thats because of the low current.

Already quite enjoying this side of the hobby! I remember the days of nicads and fast chargers!

Thanks again for your kind help

Rob
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
How are you connecting this to the charger via banana jacks or through the MPA?
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:28 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,218 Posts
I picked up some 9v pigtails at RS and soldered on some 4mm bananas. The pigtail plugs directly into the battery holder.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062218
Old Aug 06, 2013, 04:02 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
160 Posts
I never leave my PL6's unattended when charging LiPo's which means they have nothing to do all night long.

Close to my bedtime I switch the PL6's into Ni trickle at 50ma's, plug in Eneloops and go to bed.

For forming charges the same trickle preset is used in discharge at 300ma. Same routine, plug it in and go to bed; Then, switch it to charge the next morning before going to the day job.

Question: is doing the above risky?
astropuppy is offline Find More Posts by astropuppy