HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Nice! I hope the Pro series includes 130 & 300-class birds. I'd definitely go for one of each, but anything bigger would be too much for my yard. I'm far from being an accomplished 3D pilot, but I still prefer the crispness, precision, and effortless maneuvering of an ample power system coupled to a well-designed airframe & rotating assy.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Sounds good but,,,,,,,I worry about the quality of their product verse cost. They make up for it with CS I know but they also release things and do beta testing with CS. I'm a mechanical Designer I understand that syndrome. We are the ones that pay for development twice. PRO also seems it will cost even more. Maybe I’ll go somewhere else for higher end Helis.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Nice! I hope the Pro series includes 130 & 300-class birds. I'd definitely go for one of each, but anything bigger would be too much for my yard. I'm far from being an accomplished 3D pilot, but I still prefer the crispness, precision, and effortless maneuvering of an ample power system coupled to a well-designed airframe & rotating assy.

Joel
Maybe on the 300 size but doubtful on the 130 size. Pro class looks like a you-build-it series and I dont see them ever offering a 130 size as a kit.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
Famous last words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Sounds good but,,,,,,,I worry about the quality of their product verse cost. They make up for it with CS I know but they also release things and do beta testing with CS. I'm a mechanical Designer I understand that syndrome. We are the ones that pay for development twice. PRO also seems it will cost even more. Maybe Iíll go somewhere else for higher end Helis.
When I was working in the industrial automation business,...we had a saying,..."we don't have any problems....we ship them all" !

I found out this was a trully international phrase, in trips to Europe.

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post

When I was working in the industrial automation business,...we had a saying,..."we don't have any problems....we ship them all" !

I found out this was a trully international phrase, in trips to Europe.

RUD
We bad month HH but if it was simple all the people that make mods for the Blade products would be making better helicopters themselves. I look at the helicopters and think what we would charge to develop a complex hardware/software product delivered to a very small sector of the population. I could not afford it. I think they cannot take the time to refine the products for they need to stay ahead of the Chinese copying them. However, I think they are getting themselves spread too thin and will collapse when they are forced to pull back product support.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
another new blade heli i will probably have to buy.:d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yv-t8hfouuu

130x v2
LOL
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:37 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
We bad month HH but if it was simple all the people that make mods for the Blade products would be making better helicopters themselves. I look at the helicopters and think what we would charge to develop a complex hardware/software product delivered to a very small sector of the population. I could not afford it. I think they cannot take the time to refine the products for they need to stay ahead of the Chinese copying them. However, I think they are getting themselves spread too thin and will collapse when they are forced to pull back product support.
Personally I dont think their QC isnt all that bad at all for a new product release. But this is because I have owned many rtf brands such as Walkera. Sure Blade has some manufacturing issues with some parts, but the overall product and software is top notch, well for RTF

Funny thing is on Walkera many think it is a much better brand than Blade now due to QC But dont realize why current their products dont have failures as often now...well mechanical failures

If Blade has as many revisions of the 130x as Walkera did with the 4g6 this would have came out as the perfect heli on release.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 03, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Yeah, no matter how hard a company tries, it is not possible to escape the 'business triangle': Put 'Quality', 'Low cost', and 'Quick' on the points of a triangle. Cover up any one of the points & you can have the other two. But you can't have all three.

And it's easy for us to sit here & play armchair quarterback. As Santley noted - if it were that easy, the companies that make the mods would be would be making better helicopters themselves. I remember how things were in the hobby back in the 60s & 70s. The quality of RC products has improved by leaps & bounds since then. I am still amazed that we can get fly-by-wire helis that can do aerobatics in the house, and 2.5-oz fly-by-wire unlimited aerobatic planes that laugh at 20+ MPH winds. This stuff was DARPA territory just a decade ago!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 03, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
I didn’t mean to refer to QC per say. More of overall quality and that is still good as you said. Truth is we all want a perfect toy and pay $19.95. That’s not reality.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Another new Blade heli I will probably have to buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Yv-t8hFouuU
Not much info there. I am very curious though.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:51 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Hope they follow suit with other heli manufacturers that sell part packs of commonly needed items such as main shafts/feathering shafts/etc. I understand that HH needs to make $ to stay in business and product development but it gets pricey and a bit annoying to pay some of these part prices on ONE item.

Love them or hate them, at least Align seems to offer more value part packs which to me is a huge plus. Only two types of helis, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Hope they follow suit with other heli manufacturers that sell part packs of commonly needed items such as main shafts/feathering shafts/etc. I understand that HH needs to make $ to stay in business and product development but it gets pricey and a bit annoying to pay some of these part prices on ONE item.

Love them or hate them, at least Align seems to offer more value part packs which to me is a huge plus. Only two types of helis, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash!
lovespicyfood, where did you get your information on HH financials?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:54 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Not much info there. I am very curious though.
Garry K.
It said they were going to announce on 12/6. The Orlando Heli Blowout is this weekend, maybe I will see one there. I'll let everyone know if I do.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
lovespicyfood, where did you get your information on HH financials?
I think it's safe to assume that "needing to make money" is a general truth of all companies, not just Horizon. Product development costs money is also pretty much a universal truth.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
You might be right on that. I remember rotating the nose, but the gyro is not "fighting" the rotation that I'm doing at all.

A. The tail is responding to correctly with my rudder stick movement though. Does it matter?
B. Rather than flipping the servo 180, can the gyro be just adjusted on the Tx's reverse setting? Maybe not, manual says gyro is inhibited (?) that's why gyro adjustments on this heli is done with the Tx sticks (beeps & lights).
When you install a Gyro into a kit helicopter (eg TREX 450) you need to make sure of two things:
  1. the gyro is configured (via switches on the gyro) to "fight" any external forces trying to rotate the heli
  2. the transmitter must be configured (via servo reversing) so that pushing the rudder stick right causes the heli nose to rotate to the right
All gyros purchased as separate components have a direction switch. The gyro built into the 130X is specialized for that application and lacks a direction switch (as far as I know). You have to change it's direction by repositioning the servo arm.

The 130X has another idiosyncrasy. It disables the gyro when the motor is off. But I was able to observe the gyro's behavior while holding the helicopter above my head and spooling up the heli in normal mode to a just-barely-moving headspeed. When I rotate the nose right, the tail servo pulls on the control rod causing the tail rotor to counteract that rotation.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy