HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
coos bay, OR
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Discussion
B-17 question

ok people, I hope this has not been done before but if
it has im sorry for the rehash in advance.

Im looking to get a B-17 and want to get all your opinions
on which is the best all around bird to get. there are many
to chose from and I greatly respect your opinions.

thanks in advance for your help

mike
slimefink is offline Find More Posts by slimefink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
What's you're price range, and what's your prefered material? There are some decent $300ish foam planes, and there are some high quality but high dollar fiberglass ones. Want to build a kit, or looking for an ARF/RTF? Does size matter?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
coos bay, OR
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
I was looking at arf or rtf banana hobbies or HK planes or ?, I guess
I should have pointed that out.

mike
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
If you haven't already check out the Airfield B-17.
They have a 78" and 81" versions

And if you get it here, Phillip carries spare parts for it, and has superb customer service.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2156
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
The Airfield plane is very nice, although as expected, the higher quality dictates a higher price. It's also more of a kit than the HK or BH. Both the big HK and BH planes have their issues. The big HK needs to have the props replaced to fly decent, and it doesn't have a bomb bay. The BH plane should have the BEC replaced and some things need attention while you're building it. I've got the Banana Hobbies plane(made by Starmax), and minor issues aside, I think it's a very good plane. Also, the BH RTF Tx, although sold as an 8ch, really only has 6 usable channels. Save the $20 on that and get the fully programable $35 Turnigy 9X if you need a Tx.

Further details on these planes can be can be found in their respective threads
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The Freewing B-17 looks good right out of the box. No repainting required.
http://www.generalhobby.com/freewing...lle-p-288.html
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Ripmax do a 3050 mm (120 inch) wingspan version -

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...-artf-a-asm010
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:30 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,111 Posts
well it depends on what you want. hobbyking carries 3 diffrent b-17s. i own all 3 and have flown all 3 so what would you like to know.

you have the uxav b-17 at 1600mm it is a hoot to play with due to the bomb drop function on it. it has its draw backs such as the lack of detail and lack of split flaps. it has flaps and im doing a simple mod to make split flaps for this bird but its lines are nice and it is a tad tail heavy beshure to check its cg.

freewing b-17. this b-17 is also at 1600mm and it looks good out of the box. some of its scale fetures are off but over all its a nice plane. i enjoy the scale looking retracts, split flaps and the paint is dead on on the 909 version

the lx 1875mm b-17 aka the memphis belle. this is my personal favorite. this b-17 is the only f model on the market and is the most scale. it has split flaps and is a easy flyer. the biggest draw back to me is the props that is supplied with the plan do not provide enough thrust. many prople are swithing them out for eather fms or mas props but this will require diffrent hubs.

lastly is the banana hobby starmax 79in b-17g. i will not own this plane. it looks like a b-17 wana be. its lines are so far off. i could go on and on about how out of scale it is

i have a thred on modifing b-17 feel free to ask more questions or just send me a pm. i
think i have covered all the foam b-17s

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564462
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
I have the Memphis Belle and although I fly it stock it does need better props and it has a nasty tendency to nose over on takeoff and landing and so can be tricky to fly without damaging it - for those reasons I would label it an 'Intermediate/Experienced flyer' aircraft.
steveclv is offline Find More Posts by steveclv
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
coos bay, OR
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
thanks for all the feedback

uxav b-17 ???? I dont want to sound dumb but???

I was leaning toward a bh because of the bomb drop
option hence the question. I really want to get one of
these because my uncle flew one.

mike
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulogix View Post
Ripmax do a 3050 mm (120 inch) wingspan version -

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...-artf-a-asm010
Good grief! ......699.99p, , and it doesn't include any motors, retracts, or I assume any RC gear. Weighs 25Lb (11.3kg).

I scratch built my own at 100" span, came out at 10Lb 2oz, (4.6kg), flying.

I should build a few more and sell them
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
lastly is the banana hobby starmax 79in b-17g. i will not own this plane. it looks like a b-17 wana be. its lines are so far off. i could go on and on about how out of scale it is
Warbird, I would be interested in your opinion what is off about the lines of this airplane. Besides the gun turrets, they really blew that detail.

I like to add detail to my models for a more scale appearance, but am not a rivet counter by any means. I just don't see what is off about the lines on this model.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Last edited by The Bandit; Jan 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,111 Posts
chin turret is way oversized, the top turret dosent look right, bombadiers and navagation compartment windows are too spaced out and too far to the rear. cheek window gunners mouting station are also not correct for the plane. there need to be staggard not side by side. the ball turret guns are in the wrong spot. the waist gunners posistion are too low and too far back on the pilots side. and the glass on the tail gunners posistion is all off

the plane looks like is was done from a chinese kids place mat drawing

to me for a 79in wingspan b-17 there is way too much work to make it look right. if you want a bomb droop id put it in the hk 1875 b-17. and add a chin turret to make it a g model the plane looks better and after shipping its still 50 dollars cheeper after shipping.

plus i wouldent buy from banana hobby again after i was sent a a1 sky raider with missing parts and took 3 weeks of talking with ther customer support on trying to get thoes parts replaced......it never happend i just baught some parts from PW-RC
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Last edited by warbird_cowboy; Jan 26, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
chin turret is way oversized, the top turret dosent look right, bombadiers and navagation compartment windows are too spaced out and too far to the rear. cheek window gunners mouting station are also not correct for the plane. there need to be staggard not side by side. the ball turret guns are in the wrong spot. the waist gunners posistion are too low and too far back on the pilots side. and the glass on the tail gunners posistion is all off
Well, I noticed most of what you're saying, except for the cheek window gunner's station...did not notice that until you pointed that out.

I thought when you said "the lines", that you meant the actual general shape of the airplane, which looked pretty close to me, so I thought I was missing something.

Thank you for your response.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
And now for the opposition Warbird Cowboy is correct about some of the details being "off" on the BH B-17, I won't argue that. But, 99% of people will never notice. A hardcore B-17 nut might, but the average spectator won't. Ask anyone what it is, they will without question say "It's a B-17." It's also fantastic as a plane, especially for the price. If it were a scale display model, the details would matter more. But this is a plane that's meant to be flown, and it flys very well out of the box with no bad habits. The details don't matter when it's 100 feet in the air. The quality of the plane overall is pretty good too. It needs some minor tweaks while assembling it, but nothing big. I'm very pleased with mine
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Jan 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM.