Closed Thread
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post
They are the same as the originals, including the circuit board and red and black wires. I received my two spare batteries just this week, from the same vendor.
I found it easier to unwrap the tape around the old/new batteries at the end, and unsolder/solder the wires already attached to the camera to the small circuit board from/to the battery circuit boards. There more room to maneuver and no need to cut, strip, heat shrink two splices in the wires.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 25, 2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: revised to reflect cutting/splicing question
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
Got my #11 camera airborne this morning for the first time - first flight of my Easy Star as well. I had a lot of fun.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great thread and a special thank you to Tom Frank for all his hard work!
Here's the video:

Easy Star Maiden Flight (5 min 30 sec)
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherworldliness View Post
This is my first post, and I would like to thank Tom for his great work in providing firmwares to customize 808 #11 camera.

In terms of the features in the firmware, I am most curious about the continuous recording. In the description of firmware post, it seems to imply that instead of chopping up the file at 1Gb size, it will record up to 4Gb, and so on, until the memory card is full.

In my mind, the continuous recording is more like you can keep recording the files in 1Gb size, but once it depletes memory, it will simply delete the oldest video and start a new recording there. That way, if we are on a long road trip (assume we use it as a driving recorder), we don't have to keep taking out the memory card after awhile (i.e. 80 min for a 4Gb card).

So as a feature request, is it possible to have some type of continuous recording even after memory is full?

Thanks a bunch!
Welcome to the thread. It might be possible and has been brought up here before. It's something that is only useful for certain applications, though, since many (me included) don't want to risk losing an earlier recording on the card for the applications we use this camera for (i.e. aerial video from RC planes). I've only been pushing in this thread for basic improvements in the video quality and fixing the existing continuous recording bug since that impacts the most users. But you can pass on other feature requests via the eBay sellers who work closely with the developer. More input from those paths may get more attention.

One interim solution is to use a larger memory card, e.g. 32GB card would give close to 10 hours of video... a long day on the road!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 25, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
I had a problem with my camera today. I turned on the camera and the yellow light came on. I pushed the record button and the yellow light went off. I launched my Radian Pro, flew for 15 min or so and landed. I stopped the recording and the yellow light came on as usual. I turned off the camera and went home. When I viewed the recording only the last minute or so recorded. Anybody have an idea as to what happened?
You may have a portion of the file corrupted to prevent display of some of the video. What is the file size of that 15 min. clip? Do you get just one min. of playback or 14 min. of nothing (sound?), then one min. of video at the end? Also, what program are you using to play back the video? The freeware VLC player will sometimes play video that other programs will not.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 25, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedex View Post
Hi all, thanks for all the information posted!
I was wondering if you could help though. I have a #11 and have found video appears a little dark, unless the sky is quite bright. This wasn't the case with my old #3. Would the new firmware improve this? Also, I know there can be no guarantees but I was also wondering if anyone knew how likely my camera would be to accept the new firmware. Perhaps someone has purchased the same item?
It was listed as HD DV LENS Video Camera DVR Flying Camcorder 720P #11, the seller was eletoponline365 and I ordered it in may 2011.
Many thanks!
The #11 is radically different from all the other "808" cameras, hence this special thread for it. Your questions are answered in the FAQs link in post #3. Always go there first when questions come up. Your camera should accept the new Release 2 firmware just fine, but you probably already have one of that release installed, and I don't think you'll see any difference. You can always jack up the brightness during post-processing with an editor.

If you posted an example video we could see better if your camera is normal or not.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 25, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I found it easier to unwrap the tape around the old/new batteries at the end, and unsolder/solder the wires already attached to the camera to the small circuit board from/to the battery circuit boards. There more room to maneuver and no need to cut, strip, heat shrink two splices in the wires.
Thanks for the tip, Tom. I'm gonna use it when it's time to replace the original battery.
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post
Thanks for the tip, Tom. I'm gonna use it when it's time to replace the original battery.
Your post prompted me to look at the battery replacement FAQ in Post #3 and it was lacking info on this aspect, so I updated that link at the same time.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:14 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Bob, if you do a similar mod for the HD Key Cam, if you will document the process as it applies specifically to this cam, hopefully with some good pictures, we will have a good tutorial for others to follow easier. I can then post a link to your new post.

FWIW, a different way to get simulated "timelapse" photography is by shooting regular video, then editing it to play back at much higher frame rate. WLMM allows for a 64x speed up! The disadvantage is your recording time is much more limited, but the plus side is that the motion is very smooth!. When we get the promised continuous recording firmware patch, the 20 min. segments the cam now records won't be a factor, but even with those brief (3-4 Sec.) gaps at 64X playback speed it would likely not be very noticeable. The HD key cam with external power source and a 32 GB flash card could record for about 10 hours with the camera shooting at 6500 kbps video data rate.

Here's a sample 30 minute clip, played back in about 30 sec.:

http://www.vimeo.com/12528601
I am looking to do this. Does anyone know of software which can speed up the frame rate of an existing video file to create a time lapse movie? I do not have windows 7....only xp, so I do not have WLMM. I doesn't seem like it should be complex software. It could simply grab every 100th frame or so.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Tom. One more question: I just tried to open a camera to take a look at those soldering pads (they look pretty small and close together in your photos), but the camera didn't seem to want to pop open easily, and it felt like it might break if I try to pry it open. Have you found a safe and easy procedure to open the cases?
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:53 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,454 Posts
Don't want to be OT, but this is a frame grab from the HK HD Wing cam. The lens tube is about 7mm threaded. I like it because no vignetting, but it does curve the horizon
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Thanks, Tom. One more question: I just tried to open a camera to take a look at those soldering pads (they look pretty small and close together in your photos), but the camera didn't seem to want to pop open easily, and it felt like it might break if I try to pry it open. Have you found a safe and easy procedure to open the cases?
Did you remove those two itty bitty screws by where the keychain attaches?
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I am looking to do this. Does anyone know of software which can speed up the frame rate of an existing video file to create a time lapse movie? I do not have windows 7....only xp, so I do not have WLMM. I doesn't seem like it should be complex software. It could simply grab every 100th frame or so.
That would give very jerky playback of faster moving items, like real TL video, but maybe that is what you want? Many editors (including some free ones) give the option of re-encoding the source video at accelerated frame rates, making much faster but also smooth video playback. AviDemux (free), for example, can out put the 30 fps native video at up to 199 fps, for a speed up of 6.6 times. And Vdub can go much faster, but you must first convert the video to .AVI format to load the video into it. And mute any sound before you do this if the editor doesn't do it for you.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
LOL - I took apart a #1 and a #3 years ago.
BUT when I started looking at taking the #11 apart I forgot completely about those little screws - easy to miss
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That would give very jerky playback of faster moving items, like real TL video, but maybe that is what you want? Many editors (including some free ones) give the option of re-encoding the source video at accelerated frame rates, making much faster but also smooth video playback. AviDemux (free), for example, can out put the 30 fps native video at up to 199 fps, for a speed up of 6.6 times. And Vdub can go much faster, but you must first convert the video to .AVI format to load the video into it. And mute any sound before you do this if the editor doesn't do it for you.
Thank you very much Mr. Frank!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Did you remove those two itty bitty screws by where the keychain attaches?
Ah... didn't notice them.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Closed Thread