HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:24 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

Great new Cam/Thread !!

I have two of the old #3 cams and got them as they were still new enough that the faulty charge cord hadn't been figured out yet. One of my #3's has an external Lipo set up since we thought the battery's were bad till the cord was found to be bad.

Since there are a few of these new HD cams out there now would it be possible for someone to write a short post specific to charging and run times. Which cords do you find that work, is the USB cord still junk, and what to expect in record times.

Then link it in the first post here where the Date Stamp Removal (Hurray!!) link and other instructions is linked?

I'm betting there are a lot of people like me that lost track of the 7,000+ post thread on the old cam and it would be a great help as they check in here. These thread grow so fast it's hard to keep up with them.

Thanks again for all you info and I can't wait to get my hands on a couple new HD Cams. I found this thread as I was starting to check in again to get the latest info since I need to order new cams for this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=381

Here's the 190 flying..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=211

Keep the great info coming !!

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:39 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Originally Posted by jantares
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
That's interesting about the high bit rate. Is it the same style of camera? Where did you buy your camera? Any clips posted?
It was the camera shown in this thread. My camera is a model bought on eBay from internet-shop365 on 2010-12-06. This was probably the third or fourth camera purchased.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,
Since there are a few of these new HD cams out there now would it be possible for someone to write a short post specific to charging and run times. Which cords do you find that work, is the USB cord still junk, and what to expect in record times.

Then link it in the first post here where the Date Stamp Removal (Hurray!!) link and other instructions is linked?
...Joe
I'll add a link in the FAQ post#3 when we get some definitive feedback. Post #167 suggests a common mini-USB charge cord will NOT work, but so far no one has given any feedback about this. My camera is still in the mail, and I'll try it for sure when it arrives.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
Originally Posted by jantares
GSpot v2.70a shows that my camera records in 10714kbps films, 10730kbps and not how earlier passed examples 7091kbps or else 6993, 7060kbps.

It was the camera shown in this thread. My camera is a model bought on eBay from internet-shop365 on 2010-12-06. This was probably the third or fourth camera purchased.
jantares, can you post a screen shot of the Gspot window with this high bit rate? I'd be interested in some of the other info Gspot reports.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
I understand that the car charger is specific to the #11 but will the car charger work with a #3 or #7?
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
jantares, can you post a screen shot of the Gspot window with this high bit rate? I'd be interested in some of the other info Gspot reports.
Sending two shots from the program GPSpot v2.70a. This called 10708kbps comes from the film made to the camera. The second named 7013kbps comes from the film made as the second. Between these two pictures were taken.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:57 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
So if I understand right, taking a video immediately after turning the camera on yields a higher data rate, than taking a video after having taken a photo... Maybe there's a bug in the firmware that leaves some setting switched the wrong way after taking photos. It won't be an issue for me, as I have no intention of taking pictures with it, but it's definitely good to know!

By the way, according the USPS tracking, my camera should be here tomorrow.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
I'll add a link in the FAQ post#3 when we get some definitive feedback. Post #167 suggests a common mini-USB charge cord will NOT work, but so far no one has given any feedback about this. My camera is still in the mail, and I'll try it for sure when it arrives.
Tom,

I use a generic mini USB cable on my HD key cam all the time.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

I use a generic mini USB cable on my HD key cam all the time.

Bill
Bill... is this with a generic car charger or a generic computer USB cable connected to your computer? Were you just charging or also shooting video with the cord? The vendor's description was a bit hard to fully understand how their supplied cord was the only one that will work to do what.

As I understood what was said, any USB cord from PC to camera should work to charge and/or as a web cam, but only their car charger will work from a car plug to charge and video. Maybe a generic car charger will will charge OK, but not also allow the camera to shoot video at the same time? Still some questions to be answered.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 05, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Bill... is this with ageneric car charger or a generic computer USB cable connected to your computer? Were you just charging or also shooting video with the cord? The USB cable was simply chariging the camera. The vendor's description was a bit hard to fully understand how their supplied cord was the only one that will work to do what.

As I understood what was said, any USB cord from PC to camera should work to charge and/or as a web cam, but only their car charger will work from a car plug to charge and video. Maybe a generic car charger will will charge OK, but not also allow the camer to shoot video at the same time? Still some questions to be answered.
See above in bold.

I have never tried to use the car charger cord. Had no need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
Sending two shots from the program GPSpot v2.70a. This called 10708kbps comes from the film made to the camera. The second named 7013kbps comes from the film made as the second. Between these two pictures were taken.
Thanks for posting that. I had seen some text messages in the firmware for the date re-flashing that look like the camrea might have the ability to switch codecs from H.264 to MJPEG, and its not uncommon for the video bit rate to be higher with MJPEG because the compression is not as great as with H.264. The still pictures are .JPG, and MJPEG is like a sequence of JPG pictures (each frame is a full image). So maybe there is a tie there.

I will be trying mine when it gets here to see if it does this as well. I will also ask my camera vendor contact about this.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
See above in bold.

I have never tried to use the car charger cord. Had no need.
Seems to me the car charger is a simple 2 wire charger. One of the sellers offered to sell me a cam for $36 without it

Dear friend,

Thank you for your linking our items. Of course, you can buy one camera without accessories ,it's USD 36 .

As a kind reminder,we suggest you to buy all including the accessories as below reasons:

1:It's support our company dedicated car charger.
2:The accessories cost less money for this item., just offer to you as a part.

I cherish this opportunity to do business with you. i trust you will make the best decision,any further questions ,pls feel free to contact us.Hope your busniess and reply,thank you.

Have a nice day!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Seems to me the car charger is a simple 2 wire charger. One of the sellers offered to sell me a cam for $36 without it

Dear friend,

Thank you for your linking our items. Of course, you can buy one camera without accessories ,it's USD 36 .

As a kind reminder,we suggest you to buy all including the accessories as below reasons:

1:It's support our company dedicated car charger.
2:The accessories cost less money for this item., just offer to you as a part.

I cherish this opportunity to do business with you. i trust you will make the best decision,any further questions ,pls feel free to contact us.Hope your busniess and reply,thank you.

Have a nice day!
I think the charging cable will be handy at the flying field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Try charging the camera with a simple generic two-wire car or wall wart charger with mini-USB plug and report what happens. Does the camera charge properly? Can you shoot video with it plugged in?
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Try charging the camera with a simple generic two-wire car or wall wart charger with mini-USB plug and report what happens. Does the camera charge properly? Can you shoot video with it plugged in?
Tom,

I just tried to take a video with a generic and provided HD camera USB cables. Neither allowed charging.

I can plug in the car charger into a power converter and try to see if you can video with car charger connected.

Bill

EDIT: You can take a video with the car charger plugged into the USB. So the car charger should be marked for HD camera use and not get it confused with similar chargers. It's 5 volt output but so is my car power point charger which came with my Magellan GPS. I will check out and see if the GPS car charger will work and allow taking a video.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 05, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Closed Thread