SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:04 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
ok I finally got some pix of the F-86... it is an amazing little jet that I love to fly! For a swept wing get it has such good slow flight characteristics!! I have flaps mixed in and it just keeps on floating!! Such a great little plane!

gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:30 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
United States, CA, Gilroy
Joined Nov 2013
578 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos. So, by shaving the bottom of the battery tray you can squeeze in a 4S pack?
Is that yoru quad copter on the table?
kevinkal is online now Find More Posts by kevinkal
Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkal View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos. So, by shaving the bottom of the battery tray you can squeeze in a 4S pack?
Is that yoru quad copter on the table?
Yeah I shaved the interior of the battery bay, shaved the foam under the canopy and then moved it up higher as well. then made room for the wires on the sides. And yes that is my quad! I have 2 now!! LOL All the others in those pix are mine as well...
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Old !Bold Pilot
United States, CA, Gilroy
Joined Nov 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Yeah I shaved the interior of the battery bay, shaved the foam under the canopy and then moved it up higher as well. then made room for the wires on the sides. And yes that is my quad! I have 2 now!! LOL All the others in those pix are mine as well...
Thanks. I wasn't sure it would work out with the relatively thin foam walls.. but you've shown that it does.

Nice quad! I just ordered parts to build up a miniquad. I'm not sure which flight controller to use, so I've ordered both a CC3D and a Naze 32 Acro for now. My hope is to integrate a Pixhawk or a APM 2.6, but I need to get a better feel for the quality of the "clone" boards out there.
Whick controller(s) are you using in your quads?
kevinkal is online now Find More Posts by kevinkal
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkal View Post
Thanks. I wasn't sure it would work out with the relatively thin foam walls.. but you've shown that it does.

Nice quad! I just ordered parts to build up a miniquad. I'm not sure which flight controller to use, so I've ordered both a CC3D and a Naze 32 Acro for now. My hope is to integrate a Pixhawk or a APM 2.6, but I need to get a better feel for the quality of the "clone" boards out there.
Whick controller(s) are you using in your quads?
That is a Flamewheel 450 with a Naze 32 on it. Super bare bones and I am using it for my FPV training. I replaced the stock motors with some Sunnysky 650kv motors for 4s operation with large 11x5.5 props and am getting some really good flight times with 4s 20c 2200mah packs. I have another Flamewheel at home with an APM on it and haven't started messing with it yet. But that one will be the camera platform once I get it up and running.

However I can't get these little 50mm's out of my head! I love how they fly and how easy they are to transport. So I will most likely be getting another 3 airframes and installing the Dr. Madthrust 10 blade since it sound oh so nice when balanced properly. It may not be the fastest but the way that they sound makes up for that.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
first , something sounded fishy when i looked at your #'s vs mine so i went back and looked at my notes again . my mistake.......... this one was terminated wye aka star, not delta as posted ( changed )

anyway i ran a new test and the 10 sec was 380 g. thrust at 19 amps. the batteries are 1000/4's 20c's that i got from chl for $5 each just to see what would happen at 20c

they dont do well ........ no big surprise........... well below 3.5 v/cell loaded ............. more like 3.3
that being said when i preheat them to 80f before flying they do ok used in burst and the 22 rips around . so it's a fun battery abuse test ........... no puffing yet.

from my motor constants, a 6turn star should be closer to 3900kv fwiw. 8turn calks out at 2947kv but i don't think u can get 8 of 22ga. on there ......... that's why i went w/ 7 . the ampacity of 24ga. drops to much for me.

i wound some deltas also if u care i have the kv's , might be better for 3's

chuck.
Looks like I abused my batteries as well, on the 10s mark the voltage was around 3.3V per cell.
I don't know the true KV of my motor, I just used assumptions based on published stats of the stock motor and the Wye to Delta conversion factor. If stock motor is 4200kv 9 turn, then (4200x9/1.73)/6 = 3642kv

380g thrust is really good for only 19A.

I was thinking of trying Delta as well, but I don't think I can use the same 22ga single strand wire I used for this motor, I would have to get 10 or 11 turns on there and I don't think it would fit. Just checked my post, I used 0.711mm diameter wire actually closer to 21AWG oops
Need to use thinner wire next time.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer