SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2010, 04:29 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Discussion
Pitcairn "Cabin", Autogyro Company of Arizona

Hi there!

I'm new to this side of the hobby, and am planning to build a pitcairn. I'll post a couple of photo's as I go along, and probably ask a few questions.

Having just finished a long and frustrating build, I spoke to the guys at the hobby shop, and asked if they had any kits, preferably of something old, preferably a bi plane, preferably laser cut (I'm tired of cutting ribs and stringers at the moment), and not a warbird. I also wanted something that would keep me busy for ages . . . and they asked if I would like to try this autogyro.

First impressions of the kit is that its very complete, and it would appear fairly straightforward to get together (I know, famous last words ...) - but at least there aren't all those wing ribs to cut

I am absolutely fascinated by these craft!

When I get something built I'll pop up a photo

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,063 Posts
Owl,
This should be a fun build to watch! I wanted to order one of these and I finally found the cash to do it last November. By this time the Arizona Autogyro had switched hands and now their customer service is non-exsistant.

That being said, I think you'll find better customer service on this forum. We'll help you get up in the air. Tinmar has built one of these and I'm sure will help you on the build.

I did purchase a C.4 about 4 years ago and had no luck.....but I knew nothing about autogyros and did many things wrong. Mechanically the one thing I did wrong was I did not have a powerful servo to control the head. Make sure you get a High Torque servo to control the head movement of left and right. The rest of the servo selection is up to you.

I did many left rolls with mine...aka, lack of rotor speed, but when I finally got it spinning great, I could never control it left or right. I truely believe it was the strength of my Futaba 3003 trying to hold it steady! Not the right servo for the job.

So my first question for you is.....nitro or electric! What size engine?

Wishing you the best of luck....these kits are pretty when you finish them! I'm very jealous that you got the only exsisting kit left (unless you guys can prove me wrong...I would love to purchase one)!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old May 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Thanks Jodini - I haven't checked which servos I've got yet, but as for power I'm going brushless. I have to admit that I leave the choice of gear mostly up to the hobby shop (Mad Models)- they haven't got it wrong since they introduced me to the hobby with my first trainer!

I will keep you all posted

have a good week

owl
Old May 31, 2010, 12:57 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Just saw this in person yesterday.

Here's a photo I took at the Smithsonian yesterday. There are tons of amazing aircraft there.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old May 31, 2010, 01:39 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Cool!
Old May 31, 2010, 01:43 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Looking at that silver bird reminds me of something to ask:- As this will be my first autogyro, am I right on thinking that I should go with a really colourfull colour scheme to try and help with orientation?
Old May 31, 2010, 01:57 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
There's lots of opinions about the color scheme helping with orientation. I have found that contrasting colors can be helpful, but it's certainly not a 100% solution to preventing orientation problems. The best method is to keep the aircraft in close, and eliminate any distractions while flying. If you're flying with buddies, ask them to keep thier trap shut while you're flying. If you need help with video, then ask for it. If you think you might have problems adjusting your trims while flying, then have someone there to help you. It's the split seconds you take your eyes of the model that will bite you in the rear. The only colors I've found to be harmful are the ones that will blend with the background, ex. I had a flat green colored A-10 that tended to disappear on short final when it was below the trees.. Regardless of the color, you have to stay focused, and fly the aircraft. This may sound over-simplified, but you know what you told it to do last; if it isn't doing that you've either lost control, or orientation.

I think you would be fine with silver if that's what you like.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old May 31, 2010, 02:31 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Thanks Mike!
Old May 31, 2010, 02:45 PM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Pitcairn

Some photos of the Pitcairn build. I build this for a friend. He still has to maiden it.
I stay in Roodepoort ,Witpoortjie.
You can contact me by PM on this forum.
Martin.
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old May 31, 2010, 02:50 PM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
More photos
Old May 31, 2010, 04:47 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Martin- that looks excellent! I like the colours as well, I hope mine comes out half as well. I'll be sure to contact you when I need some advice, thanks.

I think I've got most of the planning out of the way, I'll be starting soon - but I'm in no great hurry with this one. . .
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:54 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,789 Posts
G Day Owl
I have one of these models myself and it has flown OK [just] If I remember correctly the instructions tell you to use HT85/81MG servos.This is not the way to go as you will find the rotors being blown all over the place .
I suggest you get hold of a decent servo that can handle 9-12 kilo.I have been using Blue Bird BMS-620 MG's and never had a problem.
It fly's a lot better if a DC head is used.
The instruction book IS good and I suggest you read a couple of times the section about hand launching as it is very good information.
I do have a what may sound like a strange suggestion,and that is to by all means make this model if you like it ,but I would suggest you make the DAG aotugyro and fly it first as it is the better flying model of the two.
I made the Cabin model and had little success ,and I believed that it was all my mistakes that caused several crashes,but later found that unfortunately the Cabin model is not suited for the beginner.
It fly's OK but not the most stable for a learner.i went to a DAG and had instant success.I was then able to fly my Cabin model.
This is my opinion .
Regarding the colour ,I have found after loosing a few models that YELLOW stands out for me.
Happy Landings
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Jun 01, 2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:07 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
Thanks Chris- I'll definately check out my servos. The advice to build a dag sounds good, but I think I must get this one off the table first! If I build 2 models at once I start using other parts of the house, which is not that great for domestic bliss...

The thing is, I enjoy building as much as flying, so I would be quite happy to do another autogyro and fly that one first. Although there's still a Sperry Messenger and a c160 in my future.

After all the replies, maybe I should actually get some work done
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:50 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,882 Posts
I'm in a state of shock- the plans are bigger than my table.

Anyway, everything un packed and ready to go! The build starts tomorrow. I will have to get a more powerfull servo, mine is rated @ 6.5kg
Last edited by owlsabie; Jun 01, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:35 PM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Hi Owl,
I agree 100% with Chris(Btitinoz). To build a Dag R1 will take you about 2- 3 weeks if you work part time on it. It is an easy build and proven to fly well. The Pitcairn will take much longer to build and the only successful flight I have seen is the one on A-C of A `s website.

Regards
Martin