SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Project Covert Ops: Long range ground station in disguise

Ever get sick of setting up your ground station every time? Me too. More and more I want my ground station to be more simple. However, I want the nice clean video of a directional antenna which used to mean I had to break out the tripod. Not anymore.

This is my idea of a fun to use long range ground station. And the best part, it's covert. Perfect for those places you aren't supposed to fly but want to anyway. Get in, launch, fly land, vanish before anyone notices.

For you guys who want a high performance ground station try mounting your VRX to the back of your antenna, then sticking into a messenger bag. Launch and stand sideways to your flying field. The great part is that your body blocks interference from your radio to your video. The messenger bag is RF transparent, so you won't have any signal loss. The other great thing is you can use any goggles you want. Since you are wearing your station, you can use a better set of goggles like the EVG920's or Cinemizers and still be wireless.. well... sort of.

Mine us dual band: 1.3, and 2.3GHz. I have 1258, 1280, 2305, 2396MHz. Here's the parts list:

Cheap messenger bag
Ready Made RC 1.3GHz video RX
1.3GHz Crosshair antenna
2.3GHz Ready Made RC 2.3GHz VRX
2.3GHz custom Crosshair
Cheap Ebay voltmeter (to monitor battery)
FPV-Japan digital video recorder
EVG920 Goggles

The other great thing is you can pack your tools and extra batteries in the bag so you don't need to carry all the extra toolboxes anymore.

How it works

It's pretty simple: turn the system on, launch and turn sideways after launching. You want to aim the Crosshair antenna in the general direction you are going to be flying, so a quick turn to the side takes care of it. The great thing is you expose the strong side of your transmitter antenna to the airplane and your body blocks the interference to your video.

Feel free to build one for yourself.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,461 Posts
That's pretty cool and practical! Good job
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,376 Posts
I like portable ! Build one in a back pack, not as compact as yours though. Great idea on how to place the ant. vs flying the plane. Good job
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
319 Posts
great work alex

I agree 100% with you after 82 fpv flights

My ultimo lazy man ground station
Good for up to 1.2km

when I convert over to 1.3ghz your idea will be very handy
Blusky1 is online now Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
I still have a head-mounted omni station. This just gives me more punch. Nothing beats the simplicity of a simple head-mount, though.

I almost did a backpack, but I couldn't figure out how to not block my own RC airplane signal. Oddly, the messenger bag was my girlfriend's idea.

-Alex
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,376 Posts
My back pack GS is meant to be placed on the ground. Unzip the back shows the patch antenna (900 mhz). I got the idea here on RCG on the GS tread. The idea was to have it portable so I can alk with it and go to remote areas with the multirotor.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,461 Posts
I have a camel pack that i started converting into a super portable Gs last night...has just enough room for everything!..although its not really super covert oops as i have an roof that mounted my vrx on...
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Hi, Alex,
what is a difference between this antenna and the patch you have a mini build-in here on rcgroups.
I was looking for a build log for that one, but I could not find one. Do you or will you have one posted here on rcgroups.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I am a newbie in the FPV world. so I ask a lot of questions.
You have Vrxs on two freqs: 1.3 & 2.4Ghz.
As you mentioned, you have two Vrx.

How many cameras you have on your plane?
Is it one, and if so how did you do the wiring to the both VTxs? Is splitting the signal for each Vtx. already a loss of signal?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Nice one Alex.
Why dual band ? how that works ? two vtx onbaord ?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
Neville
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Alex,

I'm going to build one of these.

I'm curious to know how well you think it is likely to work if it's hanging upright (i.e. oriented as it would be on your shoulder), inside a 'Yakima' roof box top of a car?

My Yakima would have plenty of room, and is all-plastic construction apart from a metal rail low down on each inside (part of the locking mechanism).

I think there are lots of places where one would be way less likely to attract attention and become subject to distraction and/or harassment (friendly or otherwise) if able to fly while sitting inside a car, with no equipment at all visible outside it.
Neville2012 is offline Find More Posts by Neville2012
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
I'm guessing the two frequencies are so he can decide which one has the best video signal. He'll be moving around a lot. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Alex suggested the same thing for my project. Without a spectrum analyzer you can't tell what video signal will work the best without testing it.
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:01 PM
United Kingdom, South York
Joined Aug 2002
262 Posts
Alex

Like your thinking. Keep it simple

One question, What Tx antenna is best for working with the the X-hair RX ant

Cheers

David
himagain is online now Find More Posts by himagain
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Nice one Alex.
Why dual band ? how that works ? two vtx onbaord ?
Dual band is so I can fly with other pilots. I can switch bands on the fly. I fly both 2305MHz and 1280MHz. All my transmitters use servo connectors and velcro so they swap incredibly fast. I now have notch filters to clean things up even more.

-Alex
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville2012 View Post
Alex,

I'm going to build one of these.

I'm curious to know how well you think it is likely to work if it's hanging upright (i.e. oriented as it would be on your shoulder), inside a 'Yakima' roof box top of a car?

My Yakima would have plenty of room, and is all-plastic construction apart from a metal rail low down on each inside (part of the locking mechanism).

I think there are lots of places where one would be way less likely to attract attention and become subject to distraction and/or harassment (friendly or otherwise) if able to fly while sitting inside a car, with no equipment at all visible outside it.
It all depends on how far you intend to fly. The roof rack thing is a good idea so long as it sets at the edge of the car. Reflections form the car can be difficult to deal with.

-Alex