HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:22 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
357 Posts
That is the cleanest table in your shop I have ever seen. Nice work as usual.
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,790 Posts
Thanks Chad
I'm getting tired of the primer too!

Daryl,
Hadn't thought about it but you're right. That's the new table in front of the large garage door, has the band saw and belt sander on it. Don't worry, I'll have it crapped up pretty quick.

My tech advisor noticed that I had forgotten the GTPU intake. I cut out the square hole in the fuse and then faced it into the fuse with plastic. So it's done.
Also the crew door. They had to make a new door on the gunships for the crew since they had filled all the others with equipment. I just used vinyl to give a raised type panel to simulate the door, glued a few hinges on and primered. The crew door was actually above the adjacent clamshell door and the crew had to step down into the cargo area.
Tomorrow I'll continue working on the wing saddle and start sanding down the middle section for paint. That's a lot of rubbing down with 400 grit, it has a lot of area.
I'll do all the camo top first and then finish with the black underneath.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
304 Posts
Don,
Yep, it will require some work for them to look good but at least they give you a decent start. When in the hell are you going to get some work done on that Ziroli A-1? I'm waiting. Would like to see it at SEFF next to my "little" one.

J[/QUOTE]

I'm on it BOSS, just got moved in and the work bench up, I'll have you an Eye
Candy Update next week and uh Da Checks In Da Mail, we are On Station and Orbiting...Low Show
Low Show is online now Find More Posts by Low Show
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:22 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,489 Posts
wonderful! CoB!

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Show View Post
Don,
Yep, it will require some work for them to look good but at least they give you a decent start. When in the hell are you going to get some work done on that Ziroli A-1? I'm waiting. Would like to see it at SEFF next to my "little" one.

J
I'm on it BOSS, just got moved in and the work bench up, I'll have you an Eye
Candy Update next week and uh Da Checks In Da Mail, we are On Station and Orbiting...Low Show[/QUOTE]

Great, can't wait.

Thanks Fuzz

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,790 Posts
I bought 600' ( yes, that's 600 feet!) of Chartpak tape. And I'm not sure that will be enough. Is this going to take a long time? You betcha.
If you study pics real hard you can see that the dollar nineteen has a WHOLE LOT OF PANEL LINES! No way will I replicate all of them, just enough to give the viewer an idea. And even that will take a lot of time.
I will take a lot of liberties( as usual) with the lines but hope I can get it looking decent.
I have the whole plane except the fuse rubbed down and smooth. I started on an easy part, the stab. This is how it looks. The tape is rubbed down and I will paint directly over it like I did the jet engines. Crossing my fingers that it will look OK. If not, then it's on to Plan B which I haven't formulated yet.
Life will get in the way for the next couple of days, won't get much done but will get back on it Saturday.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
looks like it made out of bricks! J/K keep up the great work!
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,232 Posts
Love the two cups in the background....

Coffee and cigarettes: fuel for the master....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:40 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Love the two cups in the background....

Coffee and cigarettes: fuel for the master....
And I keep them both going all of the time!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Way to go John

John,

I am amazed how you can take a flat piece of foam and turn it into a flying work of art. I have move to Ga so I look forward to see this plane in the air this April.

I look for you to start working on Hans's A7 (1/10 scale). I am building the 1/12 sacle and can't wait to see how you work around some of the troubles I have worked through on mine. I hope to have it ready for the SEEF.

If there was a Hall of Fame, I am sure John "Capt." Morgan would be one of the first listed in the Electric Foam Builders section.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
304 Posts
You know guys I think we start working on Jim T. on setting up a John Morgan Forum you know that kinda rolls off your tongue, all John all the time, well we will leave a few things out. What do yall think....Don
Low Show is online now Find More Posts by Low Show
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,790 Posts
I don't know guys. Don't think I could take the pressure.

I'm in IL right now cleaning up some loose ends. Should be back tomorrow evening and back on the build Sat morning.
Had a 4.5 hr drive to think about that Chartpak tape. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I think I will paint the stab and see. If it doesn't work for me, I'll strip it off, repaint and just finish it with the airbrush. Doesn't matter, either way it will be quite a few hours to finish it.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,281 Posts
why not prime up the stab right over the chart pak ...then peel it (chart pak)off and paint . the tape will leave it's mark in the primer.you will see the panel line but it will be "inny" instead of an "outty". plus it will be lighter cause the tape will be removed i believe this method has been used before.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
why not prime up the stab right over the chart pak ...then peel it (chart pak)off and paint . the tape will leave it's mark in the primer.you will see the panel line but it will be "inny" instead of an "outty". plus it will be lighter cause the tape will be removed i believe this method has been used before.
Standard operating procedure and it works great. Only necessary to spray the primer over the tapes, about three coats, and then sand back to reveal the tape which allows it to come up clean without pulling up little chunks of primer. They don't need to stand out too proud as you will be amazed at how well they show up under even multiple coats of paint. You can do a dirty wash to make 'em "pop" if you like as I've done in the picture below.

Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,137 Posts
Quote:
and then sand back to reveal the tape which allows it to come up clean without pulling up little chunks of primer.
Thanks !!!! never heard of that trick before ... and always have trouble with this method and usually end up trying to knife the edges !!!!
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap