HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:11 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipejax View Post
If it was mine and I could not or I can't or don't want to buy a replacement fuselage. And I did not want to experiment with taking apart the fuselage halves to get at the nuts on the retainer plate. Use the kiss method and glue the wing down directly to the wing saddle. I have done this and it works great.
I wrote to the guys at Dream-flight and they are sending me a replacement part. So, I will wait.

I am also thinking about buying another Libelle, in September, because I am sure to break this one more as I learn how to throw it.
pherz is offline Find More Posts by pherz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,185 Posts
I should add that in my overhand tosses my Libelle flew nice and tame. She seemed trimmed. But if I wasn't a more skilled and quick on the controls pilot it might have taken some hard landings. Be careful with even your first light DLG launches.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:57 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherz View Post
I wrote to the guys at Dream-flight and they are sending me a replacement part. So, I will wait.

I am also thinking about buying another Libelle, in September, because I am sure to break this one more as I learn how to throw it.
Follow-up...

I just want to let you all know that I rec'd my new part today. George, from Dream-Flight, sent it to me, at no charge. I can now start my repair

Kudos to George and the other people at Dream-Flight!

Thank you George!
pherz is offline Find More Posts by pherz
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:01 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Dec 2006
39 Posts
So I like many had ordered 4 of the Hitec servos and had 1 that jittered. I'll send that one in for replacement but since they are on backorder I picked up 2 of the digital servos from DreamFlight.

Does anyone have a preference on what servos I might want to put where. The DreamFlight ones are digital so would they be better for the ailerons? Although I think the specs have them with less torque. I think I would have to tweak the cutout slightly in the wings. So I'm thinking of just using the Hitecs for the ailerons.

Then use the DreamFlights for the elevator and rudder. I haven't verified yet if I might need to tweak the cutouts slightly.

I also figure it's easier to swap out the aileron servos if I need to. I figure the Hitec might be more likely to need switching so another reason for the ailerons.

Any other thoughts?
kf0s is offline Find More Posts by kf0s
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:08 AM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
180 Posts
Hitecs

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd swap out the other Hitecs too if that's an option financially.

Paul UK
Cloudriderurt is online now Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:09 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
542 Posts
I'd place a digital servo where accuracy and resolution counts most, that is at the elevator. But frankly, this is a foamy and these considerations are rather futile.
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:32 PM
Grafton, MA
Joined Mar 2005
44 Posts
So, I work here as an animator and already built myself a RedBaron.

When I stumbled upon DLGs and decided upon the Libelle I already knew what I was going to name it... Woodstock. I have a few dozen throws and just this weekend strengthened the wing saddle. Here's what she looks like:

Name: woodstock_01.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 328.3 KB
Description:

Name: woodstock_02.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 332.8 KB
Description:

The yellow is just krylon spray paint and the Woodstocks are stickers I printed out myself on sticker paper.... and yes, I cut out the black line work by hand.
Lokihaus is offline Find More Posts by Lokihaus
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:52 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
542 Posts
Neat!
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:41 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
Anyone use the Power HD 44dsm servos? Will they work all around or jus the ailerons?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:46 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
Also,
What's the word on the servos that Dream-Flight sells?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:00 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,119 Posts
Yellowjacket - I went with those servos all round. You will need to trim a little foam to fit them, but it is not a big deal. Those are a little bit rough - but the Libelle is not a precision machine by any measure.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:01 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
I also use the '44s all around.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Today, 01:11 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Hi guys,
Sorry to jump in here, but I just found the thread. I'm a Dream-Flight dealer and I've flown/made a bunch. Just offering 2 cents about my favored setup. The following items lead to a stock aircraft at about 9.4 oz AUW. That's what my current one is and it's painted, plus fiberglass on wing saddle and pod.

SPMAR6335 AS3X RX. I initially resisted the gyro, but I've concluded that I am a better DLG pilot with it. Launch higher, cruise more efficiently, and use less aileron: all contribute to longer flights. Smartfone programming on this model RX allows easy field adjustments to suit conditions, or turning it all off, which I do in slope flying.

4 x EFLR7100. This is an analog servo built in exactly the same case as the Hitec HS35, which I feel is unreliable, expensive, and unduly spec'd. I haven't managed to strip one of the EFLR7100s yet, nor have a failure (knock wood). It is a drop in fit on both wing and pod. Very light- 3.5g. Arms are same, and even match up to the same holes.

Stock 300mAh Nimh battery. I've used everything up to 2S 550Mah through a UBEC. By the time you add the UBEC, and the associated weight penalty, I feel you are better off going old school, and adding the 20g to get it to balance. The servos prefer the lower voltage. Only had a duration issue once on slope- but I was up for over 2 hours elapsed, so...I was asking for it. To each their own here, but I have tried everything, and it's what I'm using.

I have a completion package up on my site with these items, plus whatever else you need to go from box to launch. Here (link)

Dream Flight does not allow its dealers to sell the Libelle online, which is why I don't have a Libelle category up, but since I see that they are out of stock for awhile, y'all could pm me if you were looking for one.

Happy trails,
Tim
TMO is online now Find More Posts by TMO
Last edited by TMO; Today at 01:21 PM.