HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:46 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
Discussion
What has happened to H/L Customer Service?

It took two weeks to get a response to my email request for a replacement cowl for my Starmax Cessna. Nikki apologized and said a cowl would be sent to me.

Ten days later no cowl, and no response to my follow up email.

A good while back I would have rated H/L customer service near the best. That's sure no longer the case. Anyone else had issues with them?
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:18 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
I've sent several more emails to Hobby Express requesting action on the promises they made. It's either no response at all, or "I'll get back to you" - and they never do.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:18 AM
United States, CT, Brooklyn
Joined Oct 2009
263 Posts
I too have had a problem with hobby express..I had a small order for props ,$20.00on Dec 27
2013, and its now 18 Jan 2014 and still no props..I have called for 4 days only to be put on hold,quc #1, Que#5, or call back.. Never heard from hobby Express will go to paypal next for refund.. They must be going belly up????
Aeroplanecolt is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplanecolt
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:34 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
I'm continuing to get the runaround from them. Be advised: order from them at your own risk.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:13 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,138 Posts
Very Sad to learn.

In the past when my Starmax F5-E EDF Jet crashed due to cheap included servos locking up right after take-off they sent me a complete new Airframe and did everything to keep me happy with E-Mails etc...

So sad to see an American distributor to fall in this sort of lacking customer service....
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:59 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
You're right, Carlos. In the past I've gotten exemplary customer service from them - much the same as you described.

In their defense, I did get another email from them yesterday that might provide a solution. If they come through, I'll gladly post the outcome here.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:48 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,705 Posts
As promised a follow up:

Nikki did finally send me the Cessna cowl. It took about 7 weeks but she did come through with the promised part. It seems she is really making a good effort but is being thwarted by some issues that are probably beyond her control. But - Thanks Nikki for delivering on your promise.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:27 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,858 Posts
I was a Hobby Lobbby customer since the early 1990's. My last order in 2012 was not sent out, I argued with cs for a while. Now cant find the invoice. DONE.
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:03 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,653 Posts
I ordered from them quite a lot in the past but haven't ordered in years. Why? Because while I don't mind paying more money from a quality stateside company, Hobby Express is just re-selling the cheap stuff at a much higher price point. And their CEO, Mark, knows nothing about model aviation. Go to their website, and look for his blog post in late December about the Amazon drone delivery thing. What stands out about that article? Maybe the fact that he knows nothing about the Academy of Model Aeronautics?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:47 AM
Brookville, Ohio
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
They have gone from one of my favorite vendors to one I don't even bother to look at their web site. Seems once Mr Jim Martin (their founder) retired they've been on a downward spiral.
marshall is offline Find More Posts by marshall
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:09 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
Pretty much, yeah. I'm in their main store once or twice a week and there's nothing in there that I want anymore. They've got a wall full of Traxxas cars and parts, a random selection of small Blade helis and quads, a few Spektrums, some Parkzone stuff and enough Airsoft guns to fill an armory. Beyond that, good luck finding anything.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:26 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
I used to love leafing through that awesome Hobby Lobby catalog all year and deciding what I would get next...sayonara Hobby Express...I vote with my wallet and I'll pay for customer services at places like Motion RC, Aloft Hobbies, HeadsUpRC, and AMainHobbies that exemplify great customer service.
RGS2010 is online now Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:05 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,950 Posts
All I can say is they had better shape up and do it fast. They have never been what I'd consider a "main stream" vendor in that they seemed to specialize more. In other words they are a smalle niche type distributor and as such they can't afford to lose even 1 customer or they will be gone gone gone gone gone.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:42 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
Oh I dunno, their main store is located in one of the richest parts of Nashville with no competition for 20 miles or so. They have two tracks, a rock crawler pit and they are building a small track for Mini-Z's. Plus, they get all the business from the Edwin Warner Park pilots since it's on that side of town. They have their quad thing going too and those things are selling like gangbusters. I don't think they'll be going anywhere for a while but it's certainly not the business it used to be.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:35 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,950 Posts
Maybe they don't want to stay in the mail order side then. I went to their store front many years ago. My memory was that it was way smaller than expected leading me to believe that most if not all of their business was mail order.

Just hate to see them change but the hobby changes so I guess they have to as well.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne