HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:00 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
Discussion
brightest leds for hubsan x4

I want to do night flying and I'm not sure what the brightest less I could run off of this small quads battery.I don't want to attach any extra battery's.I've only seen one with less on it so I wonder if anyone has a video or picture with there's hooked up with some.
AnthonysQuad is online now Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
check out this thread. The LED's look very bright.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808962

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Hubsan X4 illuminated 1.0

The Hubsan X4 is the smallest RTF quad on the market (yet).
Due to its size (or lack of) and colour it has a quite low visual profile.
So flying outside - where it belongs - it is really missing some navlights.

This is my simple solution, I took:
  • 4x 0603 LEDs: 2x blue, 2x red
  • 2x resistors: 1x 22 Ω, 1x 47Ω
  • 32 gauge magnet wire

Soldering the 0603 LED was a pain in the **s

Wired according to following pictures:

The result surpassed all expectations:

-mike-
Globel is offline Find More Posts by Globel
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:36 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
Ya that's the only one I seen with information on it.I guess I could try to double the lights up.wish there were some night videos.Im a knob with voltage so I realty don't know what I need.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:38 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Another way to do, I use the V949 spare LED in the back with a direct plug on the lipo, from BG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1367

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...t-p-55200.html
aka_TEKK is offline Find More Posts by aka_TEKK
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:00 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
Im a little confused because i cant see your second link because my account is new.Are you saying your useing a diffetent battery for your quad that has a extra plug in spot for your leds?i really dont know electric good but i want real bright lights.i could carry i think 10 extra grams but i havent had a response from a x4 owner to make that clear.im aiming for 2 whites and 2 blues.one on each arm.finding a kit is very hard within those 10 gram limits.they have some spotlights for rc trucks that are round and i thought those would look good where everyone puts there sticky pads to protect motors.what kind of lights do you have on there.do you know the weight.im really tryen to make a nice nightflyer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
well i took the leap and went to frys. was 8$ out the door for 4 led lights and some small wire. I didn't even solder anything...

I looked for led's that were as close to 3.8 as possible, I didn't want to run resistors. And I don't know anything about resistors or how to wire led's But I digress... These are what I picked up.....

I picked up some 20 ohm resistors too just in case... they were like 99c for 100..

I just wired it up to a battery to test... and Boom they turned on.... I dient want to make the led's permanent so i taped the wired on.. I kaptom taped over everything emediatly around the power leads and Electric Taped the rest on top.

Ghetto I know but Wait till you see it...

I put the led's under the props so the props lit up.. I also found this a good way to keep the wires apart..

carefull not to touch the motor that's metal and conductive and stuff..

The led's do not run hot so i don't know if i NEED resistors. Not even partly knowledgeable so I donno.

Did i mention that it works and its supper bright....

I did notice it kills my battery faster... maybe like 20% faster... i think my led's take to much power... They do slightly dim VERY slightly when i pull the throttle.. Not enough to notice when its flying at all.. (I was looking for it). And when the battery gets low before the light starts to blink telling me the battery is low, the aircraft gets real unstable to the point that my syma x1 flipped without pushing the button and fell out of the sky.

Very happy flying it at night... its easier for me to orientate myself at night now, even more so then during the day.
Last edited by Globel; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:12 AM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
Ya thats what im talken about.The only thing is the hubsan x4 is the size of your toe so im hoping i can mount a seperate battery just for the leds.Im not sire what this thing could exzactly lift but maybe 10 grams?Someone said close to a ounce but still unsure since it hasnt arrived yet.Hey could you tell me how much your batteery weighs?Or what kind it is....Going further into detail i guess im tryen to fly a ball of light.Im going to chrome plate the extra body and propellers so it reflects things even more.Its sort of frustrateing not understanding everything but seeing your pictures ...well i think its posible.
Last edited by AnthonysQuad; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: because
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
I too am waiting on my x4. This is my syma x1. I have a friend that has the X4. It is Very Very Small but is MUCH MUCH more stable due to its 6 axis gyro vs 3 or 4 that the syma has. I think its the acceleromitors that's in the hubsan that make it such a humming bird.

As far a weight and batteries go. The led's and wire wight virtually nothing. And the battery, I would rather keep more small batteries and have the x4 last less time then have the extra weight. More weight makes it less fun to fly ion my opinion. Even at 8 minutes I can keep 6 batteries and my quick charger (imax b6 clone) and keep it in the air for ever.

i got a few of these in the mail form hobbyking, I should get them by the end of next month maybe march...

I would go and find some simple led's and play with them... if you find them at around 3.6v you can directly wire them no need for resistors... Once you light a led up you will see how easy it is to make your quad a flying light ball
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysQuad View Post
I want to do night flying and I'm not sure what the brightest less I could run off of this small quads battery.I don't want to attach any extra battery's.I've only seen one with less on it so I wonder if anyone has a video or picture with there's hooked up with some.
I make no claim to fame regarding small quads but have seen some posts where people have even gone so far as removing the outer covering from the battery to shed a bit of weight
I would say learn fly it first and then start to add on extra bits just so you can compare
Even the plating could make a difference in flight times as these really are small quads and every fraction of a gram is asking the motors to work harder

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globel View Post
check out this thread. The LED's look very bright.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808962
The author of this mod tells me he is working an a revision to this where the LED's will also blink on binding as per the original two eyes .
Keep an eye on his blog pages
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
No need for extra battery for the LED, see picture, red circle. Neither resistor since the LED bar already have it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_TEKK View Post
No need for extra battery for the LED, see picture, red circle. Neither resistor since the LED bar already have it.
Nope - this resistor isn't enough for a direct hookup to a 1s batt. It is just a 4.7 Ohm resistor according to Daryoon.
My measurements:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=338

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
You plug your led bar into the battery pack ?So how did you mod the battery pack like that?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Nope - this resistor isn't enough for a direct hookup to a 1s batt. It is just a 4.7 Ohm resistor according to Daryoon.
My measurements:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=338

-mike-
Good to know that, thanks MIKE. I've been using for a while now and didn't see any heat problem or change in time flight, I will check next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysQuad View Post
You plug your led bar into the battery pack ?So how did you mod the battery pack like that?

After removing the connector plug, simply connect (soldering) the thin black wire from the LED bar to the black wire of the X4, do the same for the red wire. Make sure the 2 wires (black and red) are not touching after puting back the connector plug. Because your lipo may catch on fire.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:38 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
998 Posts
Its that easy i guess.I been looking for a long time how to do that.Maybe i can find some bigger leds with a resistor built in like you do but not in a strip.I seen some somewhere.Oh well since that covers that.........i was wondering if anyone has light system powered by a chip so if your in brightconditions your leds automaticly xial down there powere anx if its dark they get brighter.i seen a chip called lillypad but its big and ardrjino or however its spelt does that to but both those boards are big.it be a nice feature but the chip boards are to big.does anyone know how to do tbat or have a link to a microboard?
Example
I fly from a lighted room in which my lights are off or dimmed and i fly to a dark hall and my lights get brighter because of the chip.i fly to the lighted room again and my lights dim and turn off.

Edit:found it its called a automatic dimming circut but i need to find smallest one.if anyone wants to help me find smallest one it would help.

Edit:i found one and its real real small.Anyone know how to wire this up?
http://www.ledssuperbright.com/5-mod...it-board-p-312
Last edited by AnthonysQuad; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM.