Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:17 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpig View Post
This is probably a stupid question but what prop do I need if running the 2815 motor on 4s. The Finwing website says APC9060 but NOT EP 9060. The only APC pusher prop that I find is APC 9060EP, is this the same EP 9060 they say not to use? Will this prop work or not?
Thanks
The below image shows recent prop test results for my Penguin which can be found on my Build Log. The test was run on my bench tester with an HK SK3530-1400 Motor (2815-1400 equiv.) and 3S Packs. The first 5 props shown on this chart are 9x6, the last one is a 9x5.

I selected the Xoar 9x6 for mine because it is really quiet and they are darn near perfectly balanced. Pusher props generally just reverse the rotation and were originally designed to accomodate a Glow engine which will only run one direction. Some of the prop manufacturers like Master Airscrew also move the centering bushing to the opposite side of the hub for a better fit (too bad they are so inefficient ).

The APCe props work really well, they are just a bit noisier than pretty much everything else. If you are going with 4S and a KV around 1400, go for the Graupner 9x5 eProp also shown on this chart (make sure it's the eProp). This prop is wicked on 4S.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Penguin which can be found on my Build Log.
Looks like you are using very similar hardware as what I am building.

How do you like the Bluebird 385DMAX servos??

I am installing a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv I am finding it very powerful with the stock 3 blade prop. How about you?
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:43 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbasher View Post
no problem came upon that discovery on the crapper a while back..
haha isn't it amazing the things you come up with when your on the pot.
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Well, I went ahead and got a Zippy Flightmax 3s 5000 20C pack for $20. Going to do some flight testing with the APC 9x7.5E and the 9x9E props on my 3530 1400KV setup and see how I like it. I am on the light side for setups, no GoPro so I am hoping for 25min flights on average. I am trying to strike a balance between flight time and lighter weight for spirited performance at my altitude.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:10 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Would the FY-21 with gps be a good choice for this plane
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:28 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
128 Posts
hey guys, I have a penguin withthe 2815 motor, fpv set up with 2 2700 mah batts in parralell. i did have her an inch or so forward of the COG, but it was considerably hard to fly. i have moved the cg back and upgraded the prop and have yet to fly a second flight...any other advice that could help flight performance? I am just shocked that everyone else said she was so easy to fly...mine was hard to keep steady! if it had not been for the stabilize mode on my apm 2.5, I think i might have lost her...what say you all? I can post pics and auw when I get home
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:31 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
128 Posts
i am sure it would...any of the APs with this plane have had good reports...i fly with the apm 2.5 and it was rock solid while in stabilize mode....if you are considering upgrading to a RTH set up, at 179 bucks the apm2,5 is hard to beat and upgradeable as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Would the FY-21 with gps be a good choice for this plane
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:38 PM
3d Master in Training
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Does the apm 2.5 also control the throttle during failsafe rth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:40 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Does the apm 2.5 also control the throttle during failsafe rth
I believe it does.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Sep 2012
467 Posts
hard to beat rctimer on the apm 2.5 im considering one,
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...cat=206&gtype=
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
3d Master in Training
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
What the differences
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
The below image shows recent prop test results for my Penguin which can be found on my Build Log. The test was run on my bench tester with an HK SK3530-1400 Motor (2815-1400 equiv.) and 3S Packs. The first 5 props shown on this chart are 9x6, the last one is a 9x5.

I selected the Xoar 9x6 for mine because it is really quiet and they are darn near perfectly balanced. Pusher props generally just reverse the rotation and were originally designed to accomodate a Glow engine which will only run one direction. Some of the prop manufacturers like Master Airscrew also move the centering bushing to the opposite side of the hub for a better fit (too bad they are so inefficient ).

The APCe props work really well, they are just a bit noisier than pretty much everything else. If you are going with 4S and a KV around 1400, go for the Graupner 9x5 eProp also shown on this chart (make sure it's the eProp). This prop is wicked on 4S.
Great info Mark and thanks for posting it. I've always loved the Zoar props, I fly them on my 3D planes; always balanced, lightweight and super efficient with their light weight. I may try a Zoar and your recommendation - Graupner Eprop, which I also like, I run them on my Quad. I may go for 9x6 though as I fly at over 6000' MSL so I need a little extra push.
Cpig is offline Find More Posts by Cpig
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
ep9060 is a slow flyer prop

you can use either the apc 9x6 or the pusher version apc 9x6p one just rotates in the opposite direction.

the regular apc 9x6 is easier to come by though.
Thanks for the help fpvb
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
hard to beat rctimer on the apm 2.5 im considering one,
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...cat=206&gtype=
I'd recommend the original, American version. I'm running one on my quad and like it a lot. A few reasons to consider the 3DR / US version:
1. You're American, stop supporting China and show some support for your own country's businesses and economy. Also putting money back into the developers of this board gives them more R&D cash to develop better products for you and I. Giving money to China just supports more theft of our ideas.
2. The 3DR version comes with a power module which works great to keep track of mAh burned as well as supplying required voltage to your board and peripherals.
3. Highly recommend the $50 upgrade to the Ublox LEA-6 GPS. This thing is by far the best GPS I've ever seen (I've see a lot). I live in a 3 story house and this gets lock in the middle of my basement.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:25 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Anyone see a issue on how I routed my DL UHF antenna?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods