HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Took the plane to the closest field to test run the engine and see how well the electric starter functioned.
Brand new eme55
It only took 3 push button attempts to get the motor to kick with the choke on.
Choke off, it started right up the next time.

Totally stoked I don't have to flip the prop by hand or use an external electric spinner cone thing to start the motor

BTW......without touching the needles, this motor hums right along. I got an idle of 1700 reliably and maxed rpms at 7300 with a 20x10.

Note....the field these pics were taken at is not suitable for flying anything but foamies and light balsa planes as the runway is only 150ft long, but, its only 1 min from my house.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Took the plane to the closest field to test run the engine and see how well the electric starter functioned.
Brand new eme55
It only took 3 push button attempts to get the motor to kick with the choke on.
Choke off, it started right up the next time.

Totally stoked I don't have to flip the prop by hand or use an external electric spinner cone thing to start the motor

BTW......without touching the needles, this motor hums right along. I got an idle of 1700 reliably and maxed rpms at 7300 with a 20x10.

Note....the field these pics were taken at is not suitable for flying anything but foamies and light balsa planes as the runway is only 150ft long, but, its only 1 min from my house.
Congrats on the run up

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Sep 03, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For the tail wheel, I opted NOT to install a retract unit to save weight in the tail.
I did use one in my ESM fw-190 D9....and while neat, with no air pressure in the tank, the tail sinks when just sitting on the ground.....

Anyway......I used a tail wheel unit from the hobbyking 50cc spitfire retract set.

In order to get access to install anything back there.....I had to cut a hatch.

Plane is almost done.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Still have to adjust alignment of the wings to the fuse, but should be ready for maiden by Monday
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Its been super rainy this week and not expected to let up until Monday.
Plane is basically ready for test flight,
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
So this is what she looks like.....

Since I have no manual, had to measure CG the old way. Also used my ESM fw-190 d9 as reference since its the same size.
That one, Ive got CG'ed at 140mm and I know it flies well.....manual said 153-55mm, but didn't like landing...couldn't get the wheels to plant.

For the vantex, Im going to start further forward at 135mm to be safe as the wing shape could be a bit different.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Had her on display at Warbirds over the Rockies. But, due to the rain all week here in Colorado, I was not able to get the plane test flown.
As soon as the weather is decent, I will attempt to do so.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,167 Posts
Looks great
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:11 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Thanks....still need to make some wheel pants
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Finally got a change to test fly my Vantex fw 190 d9....

There no toe-in on the wheels because I don't think it's possible to swivel the oleo struts due to the downlocks......as a result, the plane is somewhat difficult to track well on takeoff.

Once up, she was in need of a considerable amount of down trim and a bunch of left aileron. Once trimmed, it was very stable. But, after the 2nd lap, the canopy section vibrated off the plane. Two small dowel pins up front and a hatch latch on rear were not enough to hold it in place.......I tried locating it after landing, but was early evening and lost day light. Will resume search after work.

Without the canopy, there was a decent amount of additional drag which affected the trims. After a few more laps I set up for landing. The extra drag caused issues here as well. I did manage to get the plane down, but at lower speed, the air turbulence caused by the missing canopy/cockpit area made the elevator not so effective.

I started out with a cg of 135.....but that's too far forward making the plane want to nose over. Of course... a lot of things were making for a less the optimum glide path and with the elevator fighting the added turbulence, I didn't have enough down force at the tail to keep the plane from nosing over.

I do believe I can remove some weight tho. Provided o find the cockpit/canopy, it should be capable of flying again soon.....but I may look into using a gyro on the rudder to help the ground behavior.

I should note that my ESM fw 190d9 does not suffer from poor ground handling and I think the difference is the lack of toein on the Vantex.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Boys, the 190 is back on the bench, Intersting thing to show you when I get some pics.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
To get some incentive, put the wings on it and the cowl. Sits a bit high in front, but who cares. One iteresting thing that happened over the season on was not working on it, where I foam filled the front end aft of the cowl, it caused a bit of surface deformation on the three sides that the foam is present. Not really bad, kind of looks like it might have been there anyway, but I have never had two part foam do this on a number of projects.

Pretty pleased, hopefully, sh will be ready in the next month or so.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart