HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:34 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,373 Posts
The M12 lenses are big, but might be useful for someone looking for something different. The B lens, for example, has lots of vignetting, maybe a M12 lens could give a better result for that application.

Here are mine on a Vivitar. A D lens is shown for size comparison
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
No the #16 CMOS array is 1/4 in., and the lens module has a 7mm thread. I don't think you will find a lens at the site you mention that fill fit into the CMOS module (they look to be all 12mm threaded lenses).

FWIW, the #16 camera developer has worked diligently with lens suppliers to get improved lenses for the camera. I don't think you will find many ready-made lenses that will fit the camera, or a better one if it does, than the ones you can buy from the camera vendors. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably not bother to mess with anything and be happy when my new A module arrives.
I'd like to point out that battery life is all over the map.
Also after looking over videos made with the first version in daylight and artificial lighting and comparing to the new version shots in similar situations all I can say is WOW!
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTom View Post
Are you guys talking about 12mm lens or .....M12 x 0.5 threaded lens of various focal sizes ...including 12mm??

If talking about M12 x 0.5 lens...have you ever reviewed this? I got it from the original 808 #16 thread under hacks.
http://s134.beta.photobucket.com/use...16724627926203

I used this as a guide and have converted two cmos 7mm lens cameras to m12 lenses.
I'd sure like to see some images before I go about it.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:56 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsus24 View Post
I am going to buy a V1 or V2 and going to use on linux as webcam.
In Windows no driver needed, anybody know if it is compatible on linux?

If somebody here with linux, please test it by turning camera on to webcam and opening terminal.

Type: lsusb

You see usb-devices which connected. Something like that:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 webcam

Than type: lsusb -d 80ee:0021 -v | grep "14 Video"

If the #16 is a UVC device, you should see a number of lines that look like this:

bFunctionClass 14 Video
bInterfaceClass 14 Video
bInterfaceClass 14 Video
bInterfaceClass 14 Video

In this case the Linux UVC driver should recognize the camera.

Thank you very much
On Ubuntu 12.04, connect camera first in webcam mode then start Cheese;
it works fine.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
I been searching up and down ... but does anyone know where to get a right angle USB Mini that has all 5 wires wired to the connector, so I can use the Video Output .. seems to be harder to find one ...
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I would look for a slightly bigger aftermarket battery for the Ladybird, and continue pulling from that. A new battery will have less voltage drop under load as well.
I like this idea, and am probably going to go with it. an excuse to buy new batteries

the problem is finding a larger battery that will still fit inside the battery cradle, there aren't many options that will fit. I have the camera mounted under the cradle right now, and I'd rather not have to do any major modifying to the frame as I want to keep it mostly stock. I have these Nano-Tech 300mah batteries but they don't offer longer flight time. I also feel their performances deteriorates quickly.

if I go with something larger like these Walkera 350mah, the extra weight can begin to become a factor (around 10g). thinking about these Hyperion 240mah, the bare battery weighing only 6.5g. even though they are smaller capacity, I'm thinking maybe the high quality of these packs will prevent the voltage to drop down to 3.3V under heavy load. don't know which between the two would work best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
putting 2 lipo cells of dissimilar capacity in parallel is pretty well guaranteeing problems. both with charging (must be done seperatly), connecting charged cells up in parallel (any voltage difference will cause large current in/outflows, with the small cell coming the looser), and discharging - (over current from the small cell).
By definition, the camera shuts down at 3.3v, the rx/esc low voltage shut off is lower - you proved that.
So getting a Higher capacity main cell will get more flight and video time, but the camera will still shut off before the copter plummets on lvco.
The only way is separate batteries but that == overload(Mr Newtons' version) in stead of overload(Mr Voltares' version)
Get a bigger battery, and land just before the camera goes on strike
Mike
I had no intention of connecting them in parallel or charging them together (I would've charged the 20mah batteries together though). I was planning on having the 20mah or 30mah lipo be dedicated to the camera, and use the flight battery separately to fly the Ladybird as normal. many of the micro FPV quads go this route because sharing the flight battery causes interference issues from the motors. my idea being that I want to be able to capture aggressive flying on film, but doing something like a flip causes the voltage to drop even lower momentarily, and could be enough to shut off the camera with plenty enough battery left to fly the Ladybird for a few more minutes (I know using brand new batteries would also help this). my 3 minute time was very basic hovering only. having a second very small battery could allow me to fly as aggressive as I want and not worry. I know I can use a battery much smaller than the one that came with the camera, I was curious just how small I could go! adding a gram or so weight to achieve this would be 'acceptable' hehe.

I understand having a larger flight battery will also help, and is easier all around. that's why I went that route initially. just checking my options

I think I might get several new batteries anyways, just trying to decide between the two above. I can always try my idea if it doesn't work out.

I appreciate both your inputs. sorry for going OT but I was sent here from the mini multirotor forum
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:27 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I been searching up and down ... but does anyone know where to get a right angle USB Mini that has all 5 wires wired to the connector, so I can use the Video Output .. seems to be harder to find one ...
I'm not 100% sure it has all 5 wires but guessing it does.
For 38 cents plus shipping it's probably worth a try - I have one in the shopping cart right now
http://www.dinowill.com/short-usb-fe...ck-p17779.html
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Easy. Do an eBay search for "mini usb 5 pin". One of the first results will lead you here.

You won't find a finished cable since pin #4 is device dependable. Use a video or audio cable cut to length. If you are inexperienced in soldering, I suggest you buy a few spare plugs in case you mess up. I always fill the plug with hot glue before putting the plug together, but you need to act very quickly and apply the exact amount of glue. I guess silicon would be an easier solution, but it takes ages to dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
I'm not 100% sure it has all 5 wires but guessing it does.
For 38 cents plus shipping it's probably worth a try - I have one in the shopping cart right now
http://www.dinowill.com/short-usb-fe...ck-p17779.html
I doubt it very much indeed, and the plug is almost certainly not designed to be opened up!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:54 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post

I doubt it very much indeed, and the plug is almost certainly not designed to be opened up!
My intention is to cut the full size USB plug off the other end and then wire up the correct plug for video etc.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
My intention is to cut the full size USB plug off the other end and then wire up the correct plug for video etc.
The full size USB plug only has four contacts, so chances are 1:million that the manufacturer would use a 5-wire cable. I also doubt the mini-USB end even has a solder point for pin #4. However, if the cable would have 5 wires, then you've found something very useful indeed.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:11 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
Yeah .. I just tried that with 4 wires .. all of them had only 3 pins + GND exposed .. and Pin 4 is basically a dummy pin.

That 5 pin connector has the same issue .. only 3 wires are exposed (5V, D+, D-, GND is the case) .. Most likely the 4th pin is a dummy pin as well.

hmm. gotta check Fry's or RS tomorrow.

Thanks,
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:16 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
Ok .. found actually one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Mini-U...item27b739bfaa

See Pin 4 is exposed .. so that actually might work ..

Correction: I just checked the diagram and Pin 4 is dummy on the above one. So only the one below works.

Also this works, but soldering is probably a bit more though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Mini-U...item27c71e946e
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Yeah .. I just tried that with 4 wires .. all of them had only 3 pins + GND exposed .. and Pin 4 is basically a dummy pin.

That 5 pin connector has the same issue .. only 3 wires are exposed (5V, D+, D-, GND is the case) .. Most likely the 4th pin is a dummy pin as well.

hmm. gotta check Fry's or RS tomorrow.

Thanks,
I have not been able to locate any mini-USB plugs with 5 solder points locally.
Like you, all the plugs had a dummy pin #4. The only place I've found is eBay (or Alibaba). The link I gave is a very reliable seller. I've purchased USB items from him a number of times.

Quote:
Ok .. found actually one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Mini-U...item27b739bfaa

See Pin 4 is exposed .. so that actually might work ..

Correction: I just checked the diagram and Pin 4 is dummy on the above one. So only the one below works.

Also this works, but soldering is probably a bit more though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Mini-U...item27c71e946e
These are sockets, not plugs. They are designed to be soldered onto a circuit board. My original link also supplies these.
Last edited by Isoprop; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:47 AM
United Kingdom, Sulham
Joined Dec 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
From time to time I receive emails about various subjects. For everyone's benefit, these are answers to the most frequently asked questions.

First, the bad news:
USB communication on Mac OS X and CA on iPad/iPhone: unfortunately there will not be any CA version with USB communication on any Apple product

And then, the good news:
CA with USB communication on Android: following several requests, I am looking into it again. I am currently finalizing an Android preview 2B-mini GUI with full-features USB communication. It should be available for download soon; stay tuned...
Sorry,but I'm going to ask some dumb questions here. I don't know exactly what the above means, but I'm guessing it means even if the additional hardware could be added to the #16 there would never be a wireless App for ipad like the GoPro,but there could be for Android. So what might be possible?
I did search "wireless" and "ipad"but couldn't find much, apologies if I missed it.
ppuxley is offline Find More Posts by ppuxley
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:08 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
755 Posts
Anyone has problem with battery power being drain off even u hv charged it fully overnight...ie the night before. Pls advise what is wrong...? tks!!
viperviper is offline Find More Posts by viperviper