Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I2C works on afro esc without hardware mods.
every other esc need to rewire stuff as far as I know.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:51 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I2C works on afro esc without hardware mods.
every other esc need to rewire stuff as far as I know.
That's what I thought.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:51 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
hi all

is there a way to revert back to original firmware with tgy blueseries? (i.e. a backup file of original fw)
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Nope. Original firmware is locked. I have a copy of Turnigy Plush firmware, but it's not publicly available. This is a no-return-ticket trip. There's not much interesting in BlueSeries firmware anyway.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:20 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
Excellent work Simon,

I just presented this in the XA thread, perhaps someone are willing to try it and report back:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13025

Sebastian
hi,, I have some rctimer 30 amps and some hobbywing 18's I thought of trying this out. Will the HW 18's be ok to use?

great project!

cheers

Josh
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Both will work
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:02 PM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Regarding the configuration tool/compiler concept, would it make sense?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:03 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Regarding the configuration tool/compiler concept, would it make sense?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. We can certainly make a stick programming interface that makes it store stuff to the EEPROM, but so far I've just been keeping it simple since I haven't run in to any cases for things that can't just be made common or set at build time.

Also, I don't yet have any I2C master stuff to test with, nor have I seen castle creation's stuff. I was thinking of making a KK code auto-builder web page, and I could do something similar with this, I guess, if it really turns out that people need that many variants and don't want to tweak the settings and assemble their own to get it.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:33 PM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Very few would assemble their own, I wouldn't.
Only a few adjustable parameters are needed, I2C address for those who mod their ESC's, motor direction and configurable PWM output to fit different flight controllers, perhaps in time, different versions of the FW will evolve to fit other brands ESC's, Suppo, Mystery etc. or does one fit all?

Most important is a PC interface that non coders can relate to, I only mentioned Castle's as it is the only ESC interface I know of, It's nice and simple, hook up your ESC, adjust the parameters and hit update.

Btw, how's the FW with 4 cells voltage?
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:45 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
in TC's i2c converter I can can change parameters such as start and end points via command line, I don't really want to be assembling the fw myself to do this if possible
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:27 PM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Very few would assemble their own, I wouldn't.
Only a few adjustable parameters are needed, I2C address for those who mod their ESC's, motor direction and configurable PWM output to fit different flight controllers, perhaps in time, different versions of the FW will evolve to fit other brands ESC's, Suppo, Mystery etc. or does one fit all?
It should work on Mystery boards, which I think are the same pinout as BlueSeries, but I haven't tried on mine yet (was still hoping to use it to compare performance ). Any AVR-based board should work, really.

Quote:
Most important is a PC interface that non coders can relate to, I only mentioned Castle's as it is the only ESC interface I know of, It's nice and simple, hook up your ESC, adjust the parameters and hit update.
Yeah, that looks pretty easy if you have the USB interface. Plush/HobbyWing etc have a programming interface that just makes the PWM pulse pin bidirectional to do the configuration, which probably wouldn't be hard to emulate. All of this is pretty easy. High/low throttle scaling involves the stick anyway, so I'm wondering if it doesn't just make sense to just do that. I hate slow interfaces, though, and if you have to hook it up to your computer anyway, why not just write the flash instead of the eeprom (downloaded from an auto-build web page).

Quote:
Btw, how's the FW with 4 cells voltage?
Should be fine, but my current bench supply only goes up to about 15V. I notice my Turnigy Plush boards only have 16V caps on them even though they have stickers that rate them to 16.8V (4S LIPO), pfft, so I haven't tried the 18V supply yet. There is no current sense on most of these boards, so there is merely a duty cycle limit based on sensed timing. I was planning to replace the current two hard-coded duty cycle limits with some arithmetic instead, but since we do not know motor KV, it's mostly arbitrary.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:28 PM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Silabs chip ?

Hi

I have some hobbywing Fentium 18amp ESC's that appears to have a Silabs chip

The chip is showing as a : C8051F330 see data sheet and pictures.

Now I haven't tried these ESC's yet, but does anyone think they could be flashed ? as they are listed in their docs as *card programmable*

C8051F33x

Name: SAM_1362.jpg
Views: 495
Size: 294.1 KB
Description: Top showing x4 test ports ?

Name: SAM_1368.jpg
Views: 297
Size: 204.7 KB
Description: Cover

Name: SAM_1371.jpg
Views: 348
Size: 266.2 KB
Description: Lower side
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx
Last edited by CaLviNx; Oct 03, 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: inserted pictures
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Nope, that's the new style stuff that doesn't use AVR.
No good (working/quality) code for them exists yet.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:06 PM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Mmm. All of the boards with SiLabs chips I've seen now have that 5mm high SMD electrolytic cap on the board which pushes out the heat shrink quite a bit, so you can tell just from that. Anyway, I'd like to port to those boards, but I don't have a dev kit for it yet.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:57 PM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I will wait for progress, I'm competent with the mechanical aspect of electronics, building & flashing etc but programming code has never been my thing.

(sorry to go off topic)

@ timecop, do you do a Ic2 style speed controller (similar to the MK ones) to use with your afro-board ?

as im very interested in buying one of those boards, or would you say its acceptable to use a standard style ESC ?

kindest regards
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx