Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
mine went at 1200 ft away...did you lift Tx over your head?

Yup.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
I think I type this at least once per week: Lose the Spektrum or lose your plane. Your choice.

There are fairly good 2.4GHz control systems out there that are suitable for use with 5.8GHz video. However, 900MHz video is only good with 35/72MHz or UHF control.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I have found my happy place with 1.2 and ibcrazy cp antennas, 433 uhf for rc, basically i dont have to worry about anything lol.... All after noise reduction and proper positioning of course
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:55 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,008 Posts
Alex: I have noticed that you try an dissuade people from Spektrum. Is there a particular problem with Sprektrum and FPV or just Spectrum in general? I've been using a DX8 for about a year and a half, but just started FPV, so I'm curious. I haven't had much trouble since the DX8 recall last summer, before that it was a balls up mess!
Thanks,
Gary in Salisbury, MD
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Alex: I have noticed that you try an dissuade people from Spektrum. Is there a particular problem with Sprektrum and FPV or just Spectrum in general? I've been using a DX8 for about a year and a half, but just started FPV, so I'm curious. I haven't had much trouble since the DX8 recall last summer, before that it was a balls up mess!
Thanks,
Gary in Salisbury, MD
Your video transmitter produces the exact type of interference which spread spectrum technologies are weakest at rejecting - a wide band analog signal. In addition to that, higher frequency radio waves have lower penetrating power - so those frequencies are bad for long distance anyway. Various spread spectrum systems have different results, but they are all kinda bad.

That said, I use DSM2 without a lot of trouble - I'm not going for distance records though and I'm using cheap planes and flying usually out in the middle of no where too. The DSM2 system is prone to trouble anyway though, so you have to make sure you mount it correctly (do your range checks and read the telemetry) and give it a good power supply (always use a BEC or battery pack). I had trouble before I did that.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:48 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
I feel like I'm wasting lots of money buying stuff only to find out I need different gear or better stuff. I guess I should look into a dragon link then?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I feel like I'm wasting lots of money buying stuff only to find out I need different gear or better stuff. I guess I should look into a dragon link then?
That is kind of why I don't do a lot of FPV. It does not seem to be possible to get a complete description of a system that will work. If the commercial offerings ever get their act together, they should make a killing, because really, I'm a highly technical person and don't mind tinkering a little bit, but I don't like the "you are doing it wrong" teaching method that seems to be prominent in this area of the hobby. I pretty much listen to what Alex has to say and if I can afford to do what he says, that's what I do

But I'm about a year behind - seems like the perfect setup today is quite different from what it was back then... but I can't verify that because both setups are poorly defined.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:39 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That is kind of why I don't do a lot of FPV. It does not seem to be possible to get a complete description of a system that will work. If the commercial offerings ever get their act together, they should make a killing, because really, I'm a highly technical person and don't mind tinkering a little bit, but I don't like the "you are doing it wrong" teaching method that seems to be prominent in this area of the hobby. I pretty much listen to what Alex has to say and if I can afford to do what he says, that's what I do

But I'm about a year behind - seems like the perfect setup today is quite different from what it was back then... but I can't verify that because both setups are poorly defined.
I should have just saved my pennies and bought a system from Readymade RC. Because I have a A9 radio the cheapest way to go right now is to buy a 72mhz module and a good RX for the FPV bird.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
I still have a couple 72MHz radios, maybe I switch to that if I decide to do much more with it.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I think I type this at least once per week: Lose the Spektrum or lose your plane. Your choice.
-Alex
You should make it your quote under your name. I have a Futaba transmitter and receiver on 72mhz and I still get antsy when I fly beyond LOS even though I know (In theory) I should have a good signal.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:45 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
I don't like the "you are doing it wrong" teaching method that seems to be prominent in this area of the hobby.
It's more like "too lazy to do proper research into the components you're
buying" method. The problem is that people do little to no research into the
hobby and then just think they can throw money at the problem and it will all
work out. Sorry, but this hobby is for those responsible enough to do the
research and understand the technical aspects. And that's a good thing.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
It's more like "too lazy to do proper research into the components you're
buying" method. The problem is that people do little to no research into the
hobby and then just think they can throw money at the problem and it will all
work out. Sorry, but this hobby is for those responsible enough to do the
research and understand the technical aspects. And that's a good thing.

-Blues
But what I'm saying is, if you do your research, you will find out that you are doing it wrong, and there isn't a good way to tell if you're doing it really wrong or sort of wrong or what. It's because the bias is not towards telling people how to do it right, but rather helping people who have already made mistakes. I flat-out asked our local FPV expert if he could tell me what to do, and he can't. I could copy one of his systems, but he wouldn't tell me what exactly everything is. Why is that? Why would people rather wait and correct someone who did it wrong, than to help them get it right in the first place?

If someone wants to know how to put together a Trex helicopter, I can give them a list of parts and instructions on how to adjust everything, NOTHING is left out - I can give you ALL the info you need to build that helicopter right, and how to check to make sure it's right. Information like that for FPV is rare, and just when you think you've found it, other information says that information is wrong. It's very confusing - it's like a giant brick wall in front of beginners. I'm pretty darn smart and I am so frustrated with it right now that I'm waiting until winter and then I'm going to be doing ground-based FPV until I'm confident with my system. Then maybe I'll put it up in the air, but strongly considering just selling my fat-sharks and dvd recorder and being done with it.

And... I do my research - you don't see me asking a lot of questions on here, do you?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
"Information like that for FPV is rare,"
that is mostly because it uses alot of RF gear and RF setup is like black majic.
several setups made with the same gear will not give the same performance because they are not exactly the same. The placement of wires,Rx,Tx,antennas will be just a little different and that changes the performance.

Just start simple and work your way up as you prove that "your setup" works or does not work.
There are many different gears will work and there is no RIGHT set of gear.
Depends on:
1) type of RC control you have
2) area where you will fly FPV
3) budget
look at readymadeRC.com for all the different sets of gear that WILL work..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Really? I find that hard to believe, that in 2012, radio setup is black majick? Also, all those questions are answered - even while knowing what the aircraft is, exactly what I want to do with it, and where, I still got bad advice... or rather, I got advice that lead to a system which didn't work very well. Not expecting that this issue will disappear overnight, just saying that's why Mike feels the way he does - as if he keeps buying the wrong stuff. I can identify with that, because I basically went through the same thing. The commercial outfitters are getting better and that will help... but still, I get the impression that most of those systems are hit and miss.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
I still have a couple 72MHz radios, maybe I switch to that if I decide to do much more with it.
make sure you will have failsafe on that 72mhz radio
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1