HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:50 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
That's not really an issue if you leave one side of the connector loose. Those green multiplex connectors are crazy tight. They're not working loose with anything less than a complete wing disconnection.

If you have reasonably decent soldering skills, I really do recommend it. It greatly speeds the wing connection process, and as a bonus, you save wear and tear on your Rx servo connector headers.

I haven't had to open the belly hatch at all since the mod. Just a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the connector together during setup, and the ring spreader tool to pop them apart during breakdown. Quick and slick.
I think anyone that needs to remove the wings for travel and/or storage has to do one of these mods. It's a HUGE improvement.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Very nice work rcrod!
Likewise, Targetlocman! Great minds think alike, and all that, eh?
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
I think anyone that needs to remove the wings for travel and/or storage has to do one of these mods. It's a HUGE improvement.
I second that! I did mine with 4 pin deans and now it's so much easier and quicker to connect the wings. I don't worry about wearing out the pins on my receiver either.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
maiden the RP today...

It's been a while since I've flown so I warmed up with the T-28, a plane that I'm familiar with. It was a little windy, but the pz T-28 is a very honest flying plane. So after the first battery, and a decent landing, all looked good.
Time to get the RP in the air. By this time the afternoon breeze had turned gusty, but confidence was solid. Radio checked the RP, rechecked the flying surfaces, tested the thrust and gave it a shove into the wind... Boy did I have a handful, something's wrong! Under throttle the nose pointed straight up, then backing off the throttle the nose would fall past the horizon needing back elevator. If the plane would have been painted blue, it would have looked like Flipper on a happy day. Plus the plane had a hard time banking right. First of all I'm guessing I have the CG too far forward because the battery is way out of the pocket, even though this is where it balanced for the 70mm. As far as the slow roll rate I'm think I'm going to redo the aileron linkage, and wait for a calmer day in order to trim it out.

I'll go back through the posts, because I remember reading something about this plane and porpoising, plus I'll try balancing at 77mm like some of you guys have suggested. What else am I missing.

thanks, Mike
mikeht is offline Find More Posts by mikeht
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; May 03, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
Alan ... 4 hours North of Fargo where the Red River Flows North.
Hey, I grew up about 1/2 hour east of Fargo! Are you in/around Winnipeg?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:54 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeht View Post
maiden the RP today...

It's been a while since I've flown so I warmed up with the T-28, a plane that I'm familiar with. It was a little windy, but the pz T-28 is a very honest flying plane. So after the first battery, and a decent landing, all looked good.
Time to get the RP in the air. By this time the afternoon breeze had turned gusty, but confidence was solid. Radio checked the RP, rechecked the flying surfaces, tested the thrust and gave it a shove into the wind... Boy did I have a handful, something's wrong! Under throttle the nose pointed straight up, then backing off the throttle the nose would fall past the horizon needing back elevator. If the plane would have been painted blue, it would have looked like Flipper on a happy day. Plus the plane had a hard time banking right. First of all I'm guessing I have the CG too far forward because the battery is way out of the pocket, even though this is where it balanced for the 70mm. As far as the slow roll rate I'm think I'm going to redo the aileron linkage, and wait for a calmer day in order to trim it out.

I'll go back through the posts, because I remember reading something about this plane and porpoising, plus I'll try balancing at 77mm like some of you guys have suggested. What else am I missing.

thanks, Mike
sounds very similar to the problem i had when i first flew mine into a stiff breeze, you need to change your prop, for some reason a batch was released that were not right and if you put a Watt meter on your motor it will read real low, a lot went with an after market bigger prop, i had a spare new Radian prop, so put that on and it helped immensely, although into a stiff breeze it still lacks a little bit of grunt

as for CG i run a couple of batts so cut the foam at the back of the tray so i could push the Turnigy Nano1600mAh 25-50C back a bit, but when it was new and i used a stock Turnigy 1300mAh 30C batt pushed all the way back was spot on

taking off into a stiff breeze i think the pro is a little sensitive and will rock around, you just need to go easy on the sticks till it gets up a bit

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:55 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post

BUT, I still have a question about the prop to get full performance from the stock motor. Does the 7.5_1 resolve this issue in addition to the "fragile OEM prop" issue? If not, then they should have sent me that prop instead...n'est-ce pas?
The replacement prop (7.5_1) is adequate for the purpose of the Radian. It will climb at a 45 degree angle which is more than enough for a sailplane...

However, I changed my prop a while back with the Graupner 10-8 prop and it makes a big difference. Climb rate goes up and an almost vertical climb is possible! Although you won't need it it sometimes comes in handy!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:03 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeht View Post
maiden the RP today...

thanks, Mike
You have some kind of set-up problem as I have not heard of these kinds of problems with the pro.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; May 03, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Nice Mod..
It is a PITA plugging the 4 leads all the time. i Never did un-plug form the RX,i always plug them in out side the wing like your 6pin mod. Then i tuck the wires in the hole in the Fuse.(Which is also a PAIN). I cut a block of foam from the wing root to help stole the wires. I found that having all the wires pushed in the hole forced everything up into the RX bay..What a miss!!!, i got abrasions on the Rudder wire.
I need too find some of these or similar plugs. Radio Shack/The Source should have some 6 pin connectors.

Im not the greatest when it comes too Elec's, do you have or know where i could get a Diagram of the Steps to connect the 6 servo wires too the 6 pins.
I think i know ,but not sure.

Thanks
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
sounds very similar to the problem i had when i first flew mine into a stiff breeze, you need to change your prop, for some reason a batch was released that were not right and if you put a Watt meter on your motor it will read real low, a lot went with an after market bigger prop, i had a spare new Radian prop, so put that on and it helped immensely, although into a stiff breeze it still lacks a little bit of grunt

as for CG i run a couple of batts so cut the foam at the back of the tray so i could push the Turnigy Nano1600mAh 25-50C back a bit, but when it was new and i used a stock Turnigy 1300mAh 30C batt pushed all the way back was spot on

taking off into a stiff breeze i think the pro is a little sensitive and will rock around, you just need to go easy on the sticks till it gets up a bit

cheers chuck
Thanks for the heads up. I have a couple 10x 8 props on order from Hobby Lobby, hopefully they"ll be here soon. As far as pushing the battery all the way in, I've tried that and the model balances at about 1/4 inch in front of the rear carbon spar. I don't think that is right either. I'll try the larger battery and rebalance it at the factory recommendation of 70 mm. I'm also removing some of the stickers from the tail in order to help with the aft balance.

thanks, Mike
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
You have some kind of set-up problem as I have not heard of these kinds of problems with the pro.
I couldn't agree more. I've gone back to basics, and am in the process of rechecking everything. For some reason I have an aft heavy RP. The plan is to remove a few of the stickers from the tail, and desensitize the elevator and put a little more authority into the ailerons. The dx6i has mixing so I'll try a little rudder mix to help with the turning being that I have a dumb thumb on the left hand.

Mike
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice Mod..
It is a PITA plugging the 4 leads all the time. i Never did un-plug form the RX,i always plug them in out side the wing like your 6pin mod. Then i tuck the wires in the hole in the Fuse.(Which is also a PAIN). I cut a block of foam from the wing root to help stole the wires. I found that having all the wires pushed in the hole forced everything up into the RX bay..What a miss!!!, i got abrasions on the Rudder wire.
I need too find some of these or similar plugs. Radio Shack/The Source should have some 6 pin connectors.

Im not the greatest when it comes too Elec's, do you have or know where i could get a Diagram of the Steps to connect the 6 servo wires too the 6 pins.

Thanks
I was worried about the wire rubbing, too, so I stuck a toothpick into the walls of the Rx bay to hold the wires back. Check my post with images a page back, and you'll see it in a couple of the pics. The pic with the Rx light lit up shows the servo at full limit forward, and it's just clearing the toothpick.

As for the pins on the 6-pin connectors, it really doesn't matter which pin goes to which lead, as long as you are careful to make the same pattern on the joining connector. I think I put my signal wires on the far outside pins. I figured that way I could bridge the common power and common ground wires if I screwed anything up, or wanted to eliminate one power/ground pair going into the Rx bay.
Last edited by RCRod; Apr 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice Mod..

Thanks
I just bought a bag of these 6 pin MPX Connectors. Cheap and perfect.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9638

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo