HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
745 Posts
Club 20 (UK Plylon Class)

Just to give you something to talk about, I present a handful of Flowlines with 'T' and 'V' tails. A Cotswold Tracer and the Irvine 21.

Happy Days

Sorry for poor quality, but these photos pre-date digital cameras.
VideoKing is online now Find More Posts by VideoKing
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:21 AM
Southampton
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
Here you go chaps, 25 years spread in these photos from the UK Nationals. Sorry the photo's are a bit self centred, I do not actualy take any myself.
pylonuk is offline Find More Posts by pylonuk
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:57 PM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
God these pictures make me feel old! This is what we used to race 35 years ago in F3D. This is my racing partner Greg Ashton with a Phil Greeno Models Manneater. So called because it was designed to beat Alan Mann then a dominant racer in RC pylon in Britain. Greg had three of these. One ended up buried in the runway at Aston Down. All we found of the motor was the backplate and a small piece of crankcase screwed to the remains of the motor mount. The other met its end at RAF Fulbeck in Lincs. They were all powered by HP 40 rear induction motors. This was a good motor in its day. It was not unusual to have 50-60 entries in FAI pylon at the Nationals in the late seventies but the introduction of the tuned pipe killed both the participation and the HP 40. HPs with the old FAI muffler were a very easy engine to use if a bit noisy.
FAI mopdels of this era were large being based on the old American Formula 2 class but were easy to fly and land. They were 5 pounds in weight and about 58 in wingspan. The wing thickness had to be one and a half inches at the root. A good HP 40 with Clive Wall or Don Beaumont flying it were capable of low 1min 30s.
I took these photos last week when Greg cleared his attic out. This one made the semi finals at the Nats in about 1980.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
159 Posts
Great thread! Takes me back a bit! Found this little epistle while looking for something else,
I hope it doesn't offend anyone

Definitions

1 PYLON RACER FAI
a)Walks on water.
b)Leaps multi storey flats
c)Talks to God
d)Catches bullets with his teeth
e)Uses Kraft
f)Looks down on Pattern Fliers

2 PATTERN FLIER
a)Swims well
b)Jumps high walls
c)Prays often
d)Good shot
e)Uses Skyleader
f)Looks down on Scale modellers

3 SCALE PILOT
a)Can dog paddle
b)Runs into walls
c)Admires Pylon Pilots, but daren't talk to them
d)Is safe with a water pistol
e)Uses Futaba
f)Looks down on Glider Pilots

GLIDER PILOT
a)Doesn't wash
b)Leaves scratch marks on walls
c)Mumbles to himself
d)Wets himself with his water pistol
e)Uses HMV - the dog retrieves
f)Wishes he could start a glo - plug engine

I think Tappin was responsible for that if I remember

Fun days!
clivew is offline Find More Posts by clivew
Last edited by clivew; Aug 19, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Mr. Brushaber's (sp) Shark was one of my fastest QM ever. I once turned a 1:12 when the record was 1:11 with it. I love the pictures. True Treasures.

Dan Kane
I remember his planes. When he was at the controls, everybody else was racing for second. I was never very successful with pylon, but it sure was fun.

I raced Q500, 1/4 midget and 1/2A back in the late 70's

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
4 Posts
Reply to post # 64...

Peter Priest here. Thanks Dan, for all you do...
For those not in the loop, Dan is the consummate builder, flyer, and all-around good guy! (well, not sure if he is still building, what with a young daughter, wife, etc...)

Dan taught me to fly back in the 70's, and later built a number of racers for me. He was a prolific builder of quality planes. It amazed me what he could do in a small garage, with a minimal budget...

I remember his planes always flew fast, and without needing any trim! Dan was a multi-tasker at the races- I have more than one photo of him working on a plane in one hand, and a popsicle in another. Usually they were my planes...when I was ready to throw in the towel because of a burned up engine, or whatever, Dan would say, "It's not that bad...we can fix it..." And he always did. I miss those days...I miss racing...and Dan...

One of these days I'll post some of the F1 photos... Lots of great looking racers!

Peter
PeterJayPriest is offline Find More Posts by PeterJayPriest
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
502 Posts
What a trip down memory lane.

Summer of 76 I am working in Danville, IL installing new X-Ray equipment in the hospital. Working 60 - 80 hours a week and worn out. We finished on the Friday that NATS week started. Told the boss I was off for a week and drove to Dayton just to work the NATS. Got assigned to the Plyon racing and spent most of the week in the timing cage. Nothing like seeing Pylon racing from inside. Had a ball.

Remember the Wednesday morning late start while the Korean war vintage helicopter was test flown and it's final flight to the AF Museum?

1979 I got a call from Earl Witt, then AMA President, asking if I really owned a computer. Yes I did, an Altair 8080 . Earl asked if I would write a computer program to do the frequency matrix and the scoring for pylon at the Lincoln NE NATS. I did and with the help of my two oldest daughters, 10 & 12, we spent the next ~10 years at the NATS doing the scoring for Pylon and Pattern NATS and a US Pattern team selection.

We also scored the first?? FAI world pylon event at Springfield, MA in 85. Somehow, two lovely teenage daughters didn't hurt, we fell in with the Aussies and had a ball after hours. Only can remember the team captain, David / Dave, the excellent Aussie beer they brought with them and the hoisting and lowering of the unofficial Aussie flag while singing Waltzing Matilda.

Damn those were good times.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
shultz
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
More great looking models from the North West. All around 90/91.
The Estrellita has got to be one of the nicest looking models i ever saw. This article was in the RCM&E MAY 95 i think. I managed to get a Plan and build something between a scale model and the photo shown. Was there ever a kit of the model shown.?
thanks Shultz
shultz0145 is offline Find More Posts by shultz0145
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
I think it was a Jerry Small kit. I can't quite remember. You would have to ask Dan Kane or someone.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
757 Posts
Here is a picture of a Jerry Small Estralitta.

Jim Gager also made a Formula 1 Estralitta, It had a slightly different shape to the fuselage.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Gager also made a QM15 Estrellita kit. That might have been my first .15 sized QM plane if I remember correctly, flew it at the 1987 Lincoln NATS
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
757 Posts
He here is a picture of my dad and I with his Gager QM15 Estralitta, at the same NATS.

DK
Last edited by dkane; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:25 PM
Templeton, CA
Joined Jan 2005
95 Posts
Bob Smith & Miss B.S.

Bob Smith celebrated his 60th birthday this past weekend in San Luis Obispo, CA. Whit Stockwell brought this photo, which was taken in either '71 or '72. Left to right is Bob Bleadon (pylon racer and co-owner of the P-51), John Brodbeck (K&B), Jeff Bertken, Terry Prather, Chuck Smith, Dan McCann, Whit Stockwell and Bob Smith, with 4 Miss B.S.s lined up in front.
Charlee is offline Find More Posts by Charlee
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
What was the P-51, and is there any more pictures of it ?
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Bob Smith celebrated his 60th birthday this past weekend in San Luis Obispo, CA. Whit Stockwell brought this photo, which was taken in either '71 or '72. Left to right is Bob Bleadon (pylon racer and co-owner of the P-51), John Brodbeck (K&B), Jeff Bertken, Terry Prather, Chuck Smith, Dan McCann, Whit Stockwell and Bob Smith, with 4 Miss B.S.s lined up in front.
Charlie

Great picture and what an amazing crew of racers. Say happy belated birthday to Bob for me.

Regards

Dan Kane.