HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:29 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
Discussion
Atlanta Area FPV

Since most AMA club fields frown on FPV flying, I thought I would start a thread so that local Atlanta area pilots can meet up and fly FPV together.

I am flying mostly in Peachtree city right now, but would love to meet up with more local people to fly together in other parts of the city.

This is also a good place to show some of the videos that we have taken. Here are a few of mine to get things started...

Flying In Mobile (4 min 23 sec)

Flying on the beach (6 min 14 sec)

Flying over lake Lanier (3 min 16 sec)

Dancing in the Clouds (6 min 58 sec)
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2009
13 Posts
Great video's Mike!

The Lanier landing approach had me on the edge of my seat but you're a pro and the limited real estate wasn't an issue ;-)

Tim
tmetz is offline Find More Posts by tmetz
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:45 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
there was enough wind where I could have done a harrier landing if I wanted to!
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:25 AM
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Nov 2003
517 Posts
Mike -

Great idea to start a thread... I've been interested in getting started in FPV.. got an Easy Star and a 900 Mhz system to put together, and have been wanted to come out and see you guys fly..

Can't wait to join in on the fun

Rockwell
Rockwell is offline Find More Posts by Rockwell
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:33 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Agreed, great idea.

I've flown with video and have goggles but have not done "real" FPV..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:15 AM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
Mike, You may have already posted your equipment setup but I would like to see more detail on how everything works. I experimented with some 900mhz video several years ago at my field. The results were at best marginal at the time.

My field is in northwest Oconee county and you are welcome to do some flying here. I am secluded enough that I don't think there will be any issues with FPV.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:24 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
you can find more info here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060873

That look like its about 1.5 hours from Atlanta... does that sounds about right?
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:23 AM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
I commuted from my place to an office off of Chamblee Dunwoody for a few years and it seems like it took just over an hour if the traffic wasn't very bad.

You can go to Google Earth and put in 33"53'15.70N , 83"31' 44.87W which will put you right on top of my place.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:26 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveret View Post
I commuted from my place to an office off of Chamblee Dunwoody for a few years and it seems like it took just over an hour if the traffic wasn't very bad.

You can go to Google Earth and put in 33"53'15.70N , 83"31' 44.87W which will put you right on top of my place.
I think the coodinates need to be entered as: 33 53'15.70"N, 83 31' 44.87"W . You have a great looking place there, Bob.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:18 AM
Just Another Heli Nut
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
377 Posts
Mike -

Thanks for kicking this off. I'm in the process of trying FPV for the first time. Waiting on my TX/RX package to come in.

Jim
roybob is offline Find More Posts by roybob
Old Jan 04, 2010, 01:26 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
Once the weather improves, we need to organize an FPV "fly in" somewhere... We need to find a suitable location that everyone can come to...
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:24 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Agreed!

I used to fly out at Monroe, in the same general area - one hour from 285 @ Riverside Drive.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,761 Posts
Checking in....Ive only got to fly my EZ* a few times since I got it up and running due to weather. I have a 900mhz 500mah video system . My base station consist of a 15" TV monitor and two patch antennas....one for vrx and one for rc tx. Also running a 1w rc tx booster. I have an OSD on the way too.

We do need to get some FPV / AP meets going for sure

My first video...not much to it . This is right off Arnold Mill Rd in Woodstock...JJ Beillo soccer park. You will also see the JJB softball fields in the vid off hwy 5. Its a great field to fly FPV from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lb5DHTYUCw
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:25 PM
Just Another Heli Nut
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
My first video...not much to it . This is right off Arnold Mill Rd in Woodstock...JJ Beillo soccer park. You will also see the JJB softball fields in the vid off hwy 5. Its a great field to fly FPV from.
This looks like a great field -- didn't realize it was so close to where I live. I thought I saw another fixed wing flying below you. Is there a lot of RC activity on those fields?

Jim
roybob is offline Find More Posts by roybob
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:43 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,761 Posts
Yeah Jim, quite a few of us fly there.I think thats a discus launch glider you see. Pretty much have all to ourselves in the winter months. Myself and one other guy are the only fpv flyers though.

Its great for fpv because its on a flood plain where there is no houses if you stay along the river....also makes it easy to navigate with the river there. I plan to follow the river to lake allatoona at some point (3 miles). So far Ive only ventured out about 1/2 mile.

You should come out some time.

Greg
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Last edited by GoldCraft; Jan 06, 2010 at 03:54 PM.