Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by liljimmy
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
Discussion
A boat for a friend

Good day ..I am doing research for a friend of mine.I have a Newport 12m and a 1/96 scale LST Scratch build.. I was sailing the Newport and he fell in love with it until he found out what it weighs .what I am looking for plans or laser cut semi scale sail boat,plank on frame, single mast, R/C,2.5 to 3ft (2.5ft best)long,in hull ballast( no extended keel/bulb) do to slightly weeded ponds and wants it for display when not in use,over size keel is ok. He is looking for the older stile of deckhouse wood decks brass rails that type of detail. When we where talking about this I want to build one. But I want to install a small motor and prop for docking or dead wind. I may have a few more fellas wanting to build one too
liljimmy is offline Find More Posts by liljimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by RodACarr
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Search the web for Milton Thrasher. He has quite a selection of laser cut frames, and will likely have what you are looking for. Check with us for traditional sails suitable for such craft. CarrSails.com
RodACarr is online now Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:19 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
Thank you rodacar I have been looking at his web site ,found some good ideas for future builds
I think I found the boat that I was looking for but it's a little pricey for a first timer. The shipping is a bit on the high side from France. He would also like to "build" his own hull. I have been web,crawling around to fined a set of hull lines for it,but so far can't fined any.has any one seen any for sale or down load?It's called a youpi one design class from France ... It's a nice looking craft
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by Aerominded
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,166 Posts
I havn't looked at the Youpi lately but what I could remember, the kit price seemed reasonable for what you get... the shipping from France was the really expensive part!

Nice boat though!

Rod, is Milton Thrasher going to continue his work? seemed like he was looking to sell his business not long ago, IIRC
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:44 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
Up date. My friend has decided on the Dark Harbor 17 it is a plank on frame kit. http://www.hobbyworldinc.com/woodship03.html from what I found out about it can be built as a pond sail or a display model. The price is not bad and I may get one for myself. Has any one built this kit or have any parts sheet /build plans for it? I have emailed hobby world for a request for information ( yesterday )
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by RodACarr
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
I think the Dark Harbor 17 originates with Bluejacket. There have been quite a few built, and we've provided sails for several.
RodACarr is online now Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:21 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
I have got the dark harbor 17 on order. dose any one have information on the "R/C" conversion for this ? I understand they used to have a kit for that but no longer produce it
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by coolmobility
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
211 Posts
Milton's work will continue via the Canadian laser cutter Mr Aerodesign and Milton is still building networks.

I'm an Aussie and did CAD work for a 48" Dragon (too big for what you want) for Milton's stable, but there are other designs and sizes - but smallest starting at 36". A simple starter plank on frame with a standard sized keel is the Star Class at 36" or 39" and that comes with a scale keel or deeper RC version.

You'll find that scale keels are not deep enough for stability of RC models, so whatever you build, the smaller you go, the deeper you will need to stretych the keel for any sort of stability.

Good luck with your search.
coolmobility is offline Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by ktm500mx
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
240 Posts
Us-12

A US-12 may fit the bill traditional look and sails well and looks real good on a boat stand in my study. I own two of them so I am biased.
Mike

ktm500mx is online now Find More Posts by ktm500mx
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:54 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
I like the 12 m hulls I have a Newport 12 but my pastor likes the more "classic" look. after seeing the gaff rig sail I will try the darkharbor 17 when I get the time
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:23 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
Project underway http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post29224980
Old Jan 05, 2015, 08:40 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
Got the R/c mod plans from bluejackets (good people to deal with) my freiend started the build on his and I stated the the test bed ( mine) then I had to put I away for a short time After some home "things to be done" finally got some work done to it planks done, first coat of glass done,inside seal done, float test done,total weight to high waterline done. Do to the pond that I most "likely" will have this boat in I will be ballest to the heavy side. Light winds with turbulent gusts from the buildings
https://www.facebook.com/groups/millpondboaters/ when I get the weights I will post them
Old May 13, 2015, 08:07 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
The hull is almost done. The lead keel is casted it took me 4 times to get it done. Lead was to hot -pored to fast- mold tipped over -that was a learning experience... I think it may be on the heavy side. Once I get it cleaned up I will tape it to the bottom and give it a test.