SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2015, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
989 Posts
SFMYC SB race three occurred today. The wind was 5-15 today and puffy at times, great sailing conditions for the SB. Six races today with six skippers. After the rush to get the rigging going on Jule's boat, both 1410 and 280 hit the line. After a hard fought battle 280 comes out on top in the first race. Race two and the wind is coming up more, and I realize that the arm on my backstay servo is stripping out at the hub and this was why my boat was spinning out in race one. After a temporary fix, off to the races, with Jason winning race two. A solid performance from 443 sees Jerry take third, man his boat looks good out there with that new rig and those Jake Leo sails with the red corners. By the fifth race, Jason S. and I were tied with each of us having two first and two seconds, the fifth race is going to tilt the momentum. After leading around the first mark, and the pack is behind me, after I managed a lift that no one else seemed to get, 280 took off. By the end I won that race by a lot, but what I did not know was that point on Jason's boom that holds his main sheet on blew up on the last downwind leg. So race six saw Jason sailing with a jury rig fix. Again, I managed to find the shifts and win the race and the day. Wow, my boat is fast even with a hobbled backstay servo.
During the day, saw good speed at various times from 1068 Jeff Brooks, with his boat leading one of the races for three marks. Also I gotta say that it was good to see Jules out there sailing his boat without worrying about taking on tons of water, and with a bit more practice, I bet his boat will be fast. Also Bud Salerno's boat was out with two guest skippers and seemed to have good speed at times with at least one second on the day. Seemed like rudder issues hampered the boat at times, but overall the Salerno boat went fast. Great day was had by all. In addition I want to thank David Sands for retrieving my rolling cart which somehow managed to roll into the lake. See you guys on the pond soon. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Last edited by Rssailor; May 19, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2015, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
989 Posts
Somehow double post
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Last edited by Rssailor; May 19, 2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old May 17, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by thorsail
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
979 Posts
Hi guys
We had our second S/B race day today- only 5 boats plus one EC-12...
as promised, I snapped a few more pics of Rich Matt's #1300 hull.
A little eye candy for our left coast brothers.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old May 17, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,667 Posts
Was this Rich's own build? When we used to talk multihulls, I got the impression he wasn't that much into building. Had I have seen this before he passed away, I certainly would have given him some "crap" about building skills. Hopefully it is as fast as it looks. Thanks for sharing with us.

Dick
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by tbarjohn
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
232 Posts
Dick, Rich's building skills where outstanding, remember he wrote the how to build a S/B manual, we have some of Rich Matt's boats in our club and all of them are exceptional, and yes the boat is fast, I feel so lucky to own one of his boats
John R.
tbarjohn is online now Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old May 18, 2015, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,667 Posts
John - I have a copy of the manual (blue cover version) that I have saved with the intention some day of building one. Unfortunately, like multihulls, they are as scarce as hen's teeth up this way, plus the number of builders seem to decrease each year. After his passing, I tried to track down his MicroSAIL foiler, but was not successful - but have since located one up this way that I have a "hold" on until I get a chance to drive up to take a look at condition. Price is definitely right, but want to check on radio gear, and make sure foils and wands all work and aren't damaged from storage. Remind the guys in the club with his boats, to send Rich a thank-you now and then for his past support of the hobby.

Dick
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.