Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
9,077 Posts
Discussion
e-flight retracts vs cheapy versions

I picked some of the 15 to 25 size eflight retracts .After carefule examination vs my cheapy ones from Hobby King , they seem to be made by the same factory (at leaste on the outside ) .
I ran the eflight ones on with a simple bench test and servos centering meter and they run and sound just like my changesun versions . I guess I am wondering why one set is $84 (eflight ) vs $10 to $20 (imports from HK /Hobby Parts ect )?
Now I am told the eflight ones will not need any additional radio tweeking and they are plug and play vs the Changesun that need to be tinkerd with thru the transmitter . I cant report back on this yet .
I do have a question , how you remove the existing gear legs from the e-flight versions , do they unscrew on the side ?
Time will tell if the money was well spent or a simple result of double markup from factory to exported to imported
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by fnlrun
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,926 Posts
I have the hobbyking ones as well. I can't tell a difference except in the pricetag. After I bought the eflite ones for the upcomming P47, I HIGHLY regreated it as the HK ones will fit right in. Oh well now...
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Interesting... subscribed!
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by tomcee
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010
586 Posts

some good modifications for changesun electric retracts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1183596&page=9

tomcee is offline Find More Posts by tomcee
Old Nov 05, 2010, 04:05 AM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
9,077 Posts
I am going to do the test tonight , will try to video the results of the e-flight . Another interesting fact is that I was traveling and visiting my favorite well stocked hobby shopes this past week . Both of these shops carry a ton of great products , and on the eflight retracts they both had only --one set in stock . I asked them "how are they selling " both said "special order only ,
Dont get me wrong , I love Horison hobby but being a VP in Sales I try to look at my purchases in a price /value vs Benifits /features .
So in this case I can not determine the features on both sets that set them apart $60 on average outside of the one fact that they are supposed to be plug and play (eflight ) vs plus and Program (chanesun) . We will see . I am also curious to see if the eflight can handle my 55" P47 the same way the Changesun handled my 55" P40 (both FMS models )
I will post pics and video either tonight or in the morning
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 05, 2010, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by wishawhunk
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,450 Posts
Ive placed my order for the p-47 and was going to buy the eflite retracts at 50! Now im having second thoughts??
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by patrick39
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
Ive placed my order for the p-47 and was going to buy the eflite retracts at 50! Now im having second thoughts??
i ordered the p47 to but not the retracts , but i ordered the HK ones to fit ( mod ) in my corsair
maybe i save them for the p47 now , when i read this tthread
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:58 AM
zup
Find More Posts by zup
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
I do have a question , how you remove the existing gear legs from the e-flight versions , do they unscrew on the side ?
Time will tell if the money was well spent or a simple result of double markup from factory to exported to imported[/QUOTE]

LDM
theres a set screw that takes a 1.5 mm hex driver inside that brass piece they rotate on that when you losen it the strut comes out. in my experance that brass piece is the weak link.iv,e broken 2 of them. e-flite replaced one and i made a new one from the shank of a 6mm steel bolt for the other. whats that piece made from in the el-cheapo ones and what kind of programming needs done for them?
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,689 Posts
Never used retracts before, what do you mean by needing tweaking at the transmitter?
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:03 AM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,926 Posts
The end points need to be adjusted in the servo setting. Kinda like "full down" needs 110% servo throw. or vise-versa for up
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:39 AM
zup
Find More Posts by zup
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
The end points need to be adjusted in the servo setting. Kinda like "full down" needs 110% servo throw. or vise-versa for up
well that counts the cheap ones out for me. my 20+ yr. old radio has two positions. up and down which the e-flite,s do quite well.
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Vovka
Joined Mar 2010
44 Posts
Ldm,

Can you please post the link to HK retracts in question? Would love to get them, searched through the HK site, but not sure which ones you are referring to.
Vovka is offline Find More Posts by Vovka
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by TripleW
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
7,024 Posts
I believe these are the one they're talking about.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11301

I might just try these in a Parkzone p-47. TW
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
Last edited by TripleW; Nov 05, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:48 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zup View Post
well that counts the cheap ones out for me. my 20+ yr. old radio has two positions. up and down which the e-flite,s do quite well.
zup
LOL, Up and down. I can just see you useing your finger to show that. I don't know why but that was funny
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,689 Posts
So my Dx-7 should be able to handle that then. Thanks
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy