HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:13 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Discussion
Hot!!! Conversion edf jet gryphon redwings "alien power system"

Finally, we start with a new project: the Gryphon Jet electric!!!
Here in the photo the complete set of conversion ready for installation in the model: Fiendfan fan of Jan Duda 17 blades (www.3dfrezovani.cz) with Typhoon 800-68-685 motor and battery set and regulator of the English Alien Power (http://www.alienpowersystem.com/). Advanced components! See you soon on this forum the beginning of the assembly and flight!
sandrocacciola is offline Find More Posts by sandrocacciola
Last edited by sandrocacciola; Sep 10, 2014 at 05:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:31 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
The fan is spettacular and sound as well.
The data are reported by Jan:
V 42.5 - 136.5 A - 5801 W - 8.35 kg 1.44 g / W 5500 mAh batteries. Apply course.
Fiendfan 120 edf carbon (www.3dfrezovani.cz) is designed for economical operation and perfect cooling of the engine. Thurst engine required Het Typhoon 800-68 / 685 kv and the battery cell 12 is over 8.3 kg / 5800W.
The fan is a semi-crafted with painstaking production of Jan Duda. The weight is 180 grams and with the use of a motor to be 450g (see Het 800-685Kv), battery 12S (about 2.1 kg whichever is chosen) and the regulator is around 3 kg in total. The speed of the outlet air from the fan is around 500 Km/h while the tests performed by Jan for the breaking of the blades is or are achieved 120 kg of traction. More info and contact details you can find them on The fan is a sight and sound as well.
The data are reported by Jan:
V 42.5 - 136.5 A - 5801 W - 8.35 kg 1.44 g / W 5500 mAh batteries. Apply course.
Fiendfan 120 edf carbon is designed for economical operation and perfect cooling of the engine.
Thurst engine required Het Typhoon 800-68 / 685 kv and the battery cell 12 is over 8.3 kg / 5800W.
The fan is a semi-crafted with painstaking production of Jan Duda. The weight is 180 grams and with the use of a motor to be 450g (see Het 800-685Kv), battery 12 (about 2.1 kg whichever is chosen) and the regulator is around 3 kg in total. The speed of the outlet air from the fan is around 500 Km / h while the tests performed by Jan for the breaking of the blades is or are achieved 120 kg of traction. More info and contact details you can find them on popis_dmychadla.
Last edited by sandrocacciola; Sep 10, 2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:37 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Meanwhile, I have work something on the model.
I fixed the EDF, realized the exhaust pipe lexan with close output about 15%. I have connected the fan wiith the original air intake of the Gryphon Jet already mounted. The area of ​​the inletr section of the Gryphon is slightly lower than the inlet of the EDF and then I'll have to check the efficienty with the EF mounted in the model. I would not make unsightly "holes" in the fuselage to get some air to the fan. I'll see chek later the measures of the Amp and thrust with the Edf mounted in the model...
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:02 PM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Today I tried the EDF: the lexan is not good for the exhaust pipe, flexible and vibrates too much. I'll have to find a solution ...
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:04 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,107 Posts
That doesn't surprise me if all your using is one little piece of tape on the seem. You have to tape seem all the way down the inside and out side of seem.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,730 Posts
like mark said..it will work byt the seem has to be fully taped
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:42 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Yesterday I changed the exhaust vibrating lexan: I made ​​four bandages with resin and glass cloth to the top of the pipe at the end and at two points in the middle of getting so rigid reinforcements along the exaust tube. The solution seems to work very well and the vibrations and deformations are not presented. I have also taken away even the tube of connection the air entrance to the EDF forhave more chance to get some air into the fan. I'm whaiting the intake ring...
The first tests I made with the 120mm fan Fieldfan 17 blades installed and the batteries Alienpower (www.alienpowersystem.com) 6300mAh 35C charges also 60% have provided 107 amps and 4400 watts of power consumption . When ready I'll try with the battery full but I think I can reach difficults have in these situation 5800watt declared. The fans have optimal performance (and the optimal measurements) when tested over the model without any problem of air and exaust tube etc.. But I am curious to see what comes out ...
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:47 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
The first test was also used to acquaint themselves with the operation of the ESC 200Amp opto always the English company specializing in electric AlienPowersystem. The controller (very well done) has the connectors soldered on the board (both side engine and battery) and weighs 260 grams. It 'also provided the cable anti spark when connecting the batteries. It has a generous cooling fins and is supplied as standard with a USB connection that is used to perform updates configuration (on the website www.alienpowersystem.com). It 'simply download the software on the site for the management, install the program and once connected the esc you can easily set all the parameters that must be programmed. In view of a very competitive price this controller is well suited to equiped EDF models of large dimensions. Obviously Alienpower on the site are available to regulators and other denominations also have the option to order custom Esc ...
Old Sep 09, 2014, 10:14 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,730 Posts
also, having a lip on the fan will greatly improve thrust
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 09, 2014, 11:01 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
The intake ring must be arrived...
These is a renforced thrust tube installed in the Gryphon with di Fiendfan edl 120/17... (www.3dfrezovani.cz)
Last edited by sandrocacciola; Sep 10, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:23 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
The work goes on...
I have realized a new plate for the electronics and I fix here the ESC Alienpowersystem 200Amp. The position is near the fan to have short cables. To cool the Esc I will make a grid on the cover of Gryphon. Batteries supplied by Alienpowersystem is fixed at the beginning of the plate to have a right CG. However I have yet to verify if the weights are well distributedl...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:52 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,307 Posts
batts get mounted up high like that?
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:06 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
These is provvisory for chek CG. In fact today I have ceck CG and it's no good, and I had move one battery forward.
I'm afraid that putting the batteries too low it'not cool. In fact, I have made ​​two air inlet in the cover of the model for cooler Esc and battery.
I'm doing some tests. Even the exhaust pipe is temporary and I'm finishing one new in fiberglass.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,107 Posts
Don't worry to much about making the battery cool. Your battery should not be getting hot. If your battery is getting hot then you are running to low C rating or your running the battery down to low. Most of the heat generated in the battery happens during the last 20 seconds of flight when you fly to long.

Only ESC and motor are necessary for cooling.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Sep 13, 2014, 07:44 AM
Italy, Tuscany, Grosseto
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Finally I have finished a new exaust pipe for Gryphon laminated with epoxy: initial circumference is 122mm, terminal 104mm. Epoxy is also the inlet air ducted.
I just have to close the hole when the cable go out.