HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
Discussion
Dacron line

I just bought some dacron line waxed, is this ok to use for sailing? I have a A3 Victor model and noticed the line it came with feels softer, why is this and what line do you use? Thanks Mike
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
I use dacron line all the time. Not sure about the waxed part as the line I get is braided and does not appear to be waxed. It does stretch slightly when wet which can cause issues with sheet getting longer.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
I ordered the line from GOODWIND and it sead (decron waxed line). I'll try it out, I didn't know if there different types of decron line.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:54 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
How about dental floss, very strong and waxed? May also keep your boat minty fresh. Seriously I use floss when I need to stich up things like windsurfer harness lines, very strong and goes through webing easily.
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
LOL that's funny AB, thanks guys for the info I'm kinda new to the hobby , looking forward to learning what I can.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
267 Posts
Hi Mike,

The waxed line has two problems, it will not take CA glue when you tie a knot and it dose not turn corners very well in super light air.

I have had very good luck with Cortland Spectron Blackspot 80lb test which is white with black flecks in it. Don't let the lb test fool you into thinking it is a large line, it is not. It is spectra and very small diameter. It is strong, super soft, and it takes CA glue well. When you run it through your fingers it is very smooth which will allow it to run around turning points in the sheeting system very easily. Excellent for light air. Use this on 914's, IOM's, EC12's and Star 45's. Perfect for your A 3 or any other boat in this size range.

Here is a link to a place on line you can buy it...

http://www.hooksettersupply.com/Cort...d-spectron.htm

Hope this helps,

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Sep 2009
176 Posts
Thanks SJ that's some good info. I just getting into this hobby and I like it a lot. Any info is good info.