HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Discussion
Orange DSM TX Module problems

The new Orange TX is fresh of the production line and has begun to arrive at the first customers. Sadly there seems to be problems. Several users at the HobbyKing product forums report severe problems associated with channel 2. As far as I can tell, four different users have reported in less than two days that channel 2 does not work at all or glitches badly. The other channels work just as expected. To much of a coincidence to be completely random.

I have ordered the module. The reason is that I want to be able to buy BNF planes using the DSM protocol, without investing in a Spectrum radio. I guess that a lot of the people who buy the module will be after the same thing. A channel that does not work will render the module useless for me. There is no way of reassigning channels in a BNF plane...

Have anyone received a module that actually works flawlessly? Or are all modules in the first batch affected?
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Last edited by dvogonen; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: The title was wrong.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
I think you are talking about the module only, as the new transmitter has not yet been released. Maybe you could correct your title.

The problem is clearly not random and HK have taken note. Here's what they are saying:

The engineers should have a solution within a few days. We will post an update here as soon as we know what the issue is with some radios and some configurations.

I have one ordered from the first batch, supposedly shipped. It looks as though it will have to go back unless there's a do-it-yourself fix (unlikely).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
You are right, the title was wrong. I have changed it.
Where did you find the information from HobbyKing?

Edit:
Found it in the discussion section of HobbyKings product page for the module.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
HobbyKing no longer accept orders for the module...
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Last edited by dvogonen; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
We should update this thread as there is more info.

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the discussion, here are the main points.

Orange have produced a Spektrum clone module, initially in JR format (fits 9x) but later to come in Futaba package. The price is $30 in round figures.

Initial reports indicate serious glitching problems with servos on channel 2 (aileron on JR, elevator on 9x) when the module is used. HK have discontinued sales and indicated that they are looking at the situation.

Another issue is that people are disappointed to realize the the 9x with this module and stock firmware will not work with the ultramicro BNF models because the channel order of the 9x is wrong. To fix this requires alternative firmware such as ER9X. (With regular receivers, you can just swap the servo plugs around to match the AETR sequence of the 9x.)
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
I've got a dodgy module. Issue on channel 2 like everyone else.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Oops this seems a very large balls-up! One can only assume it was rushed too quickly into production, without extensive user testing. No doubt Anthony is kicking one of his engineers at the moment. Plus it doesn't give very good PR for their forthcoming 9XR/orange transmitter launch...

Out of interest, what transmitters are you all using? I'm guessing the claim that there is an issue with a particular transmitter is a bit of a red heron?

I was very tempted to buy one, glad I didn't now...

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
flying beam
blackmoon's Avatar
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,756 Posts
SH** bought one to

Hope, they will gave us a firmware upgrade that we can make at home.

Or paying return shipping or even credit stores.

I surely won't ship it back to HK, from my country it will cost me almost the price of the module.

Hate when they rush thing like that, It shouldn't be available with that kind of issue.

Live and learn... again
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Last edited by blackmoon; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
I wouldn't have thought they would offer a user upgradable firmware. As unless there is a bootloader already on-board, it the firmware will have to be unencrypted which would open the floodgates to cheap clones. I would have only expected a bootloader on-board if there was a upgrade port on the outside - which I don't think there is.

If they have any sense, either a free replacement or alternatively ship to a local warehouse (USA/UK/DE/NL/AUS) for replacement.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Out of interest, what transmitters are you all using? I'm guessing the claim that there is an issue with a particular transmitter is a bit of a red heron?

I was very tempted to buy one, glad I didn't now...

Si.
Users have reported getting the problems with several transmitters. JR PCM9XII and Turnigy 9x have been named. The latter is a real bummer since the Turnigy 9x owners must be the biggest customer group. HobbyKing are very specific about the fact that the module works with Turnigy 9x, since it is listed as being JR/Turnigy compatible. To my knowledge Turnigy 9x is the only module radio with the Turnigy name.
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
If they have any sense, either a free replacement or alternatively ship to a local warehouse (USA/UK/DE/NL/AUS) for replacement.
Si.
Hmmm. Having to pay to send back electronics that was broken before delivery is hardly acceptable. Insured shipping within Europe is quite expensive. Shipping without insurance leaves you with no proof that you have returned the item, so that is not really an option.
dvogonen is offline Find More Posts by dvogonen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
Users have reported getting the problems with several transmitters. JR PCM9XII and Turnigy 9x have been named. The latter is a real bummer since the Turnigy 9x owners must be the biggest customer group. HobbyKing are very specific about the fact that the module works with Turnigy 9x, since it is listed as being JR/Turnigy compatible. To my knowledge Turnigy 9x is the only module radio with the Turnigy name.
But on the 9x, that surely depends on which firmware the transmitter is running? The stock firmware probably handles PPM output in software differently to er9x, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
Hmmm. Having to pay to send back electronics that was broken before delivery is hardly acceptable. Insured shipping within Europe is quite expensive. Shipping without insurance leaves you with no proof that you have returned the item, so that is not really an option.
Not if HobbyKing set up a DHL/etc account. Likely to happen? I would like to hope they would, but nahh probably aint! To be honest, its probably cheaper for them to just refund the module price.

It also depends if its an isolated problem or if all the modules are affected.

I wouldn't like to guess what the problem is with the module though. Could literally be anything from a stack overflow, buffer overflow, bad timing monitoring, race condition or even a fault with the clock generation on the board.

However I can tell you with some certainty that there is some engineer pee'ing their pants at the moment, unable to sleep and racing to find the problem and then fixing it...

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
We should update this thread as there is more info.

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the discussion, here are the main points.

Orange have produced a Spektrum clone module, initially in JR format (fits 9x) but later to come in Futaba package. The price is $30 in round figures.

Initial reports indicate serious glitching problems with servos on channel 2 (aileron on JR, elevator on 9x) when the module is used. HK have discontinued sales and indicated that they are looking at the situation.

Another issue is that people are disappointed to realize the the 9x with this module and stock firmware will not work with the ultramicro BNF models because the channel order of the 9x is wrong. To fix this requires alternative firmware such as ER9X. (With regular receivers, you can just swap the servo plugs around to match the AETR sequence of the 9x.)

If I understand my 9303 which should be the same as the 9X, the channel order is only reordered for sailplane use. I am not sure it is for airplane use. Might need to set it up in a different mode to get the channels ordered properly. Then again I could be mistaken.

Sorry to hear the module is a no go so far.....
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:45 PM
flying beam
blackmoon's Avatar
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,756 Posts
This is what it would cost me to send it back to Hongkong :

rate:

You have chosen a Kilopost Standard
up to 350g,
registered mail,
destination: Rest of the world
Base price: € 12.45
Referral fees € 4.90
Sub-total: € 17.35
Number: x 1
Total: € 17.35

And if I ship it back to the NL warehouse :

13.20 €

This is just plain stupid...
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
If I understand my 9303 which should be the same as the 9X, the channel order is only reordered for sailplane use. I am not sure it is for airplane use. Might need to set it up in a different mode to get the channels ordered properly. Then again I could be mistaken.

Sorry to hear the module is a no go so far.....
Turnigy/Flysky/iMax/etc 9X != JR DSX9/JR PCM 9X

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
But on the 9x, that surely depends on which firmware the transmitter is running? The stock firmware probably handles PPM output in software differently to er9x, etc
Si.
The problem as reported doesn't appear to have anything to do with the firmware. It's on channel 2 only. If running stock firmware on the 9x, that's elevator, if running ER9x in JR/Spektrum sequence, it's aileron.

There's a little bit of doubt about all this because some of the reports are confused and many don't give details.

When my module arrives (ordered within hours of their becoming available) I will test on 9x with ER9x, 9x with stock firmware, and JR XP9303.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyKing Orange Rx DSM, any problems/complaints? big_poppa4904 Radios 26 Aug 12, 2013 04:08 AM
For Sale Blade sr dsm tx hp6dsm and blade 120 sr tx Garrett1234567 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 08, 2012 04:46 PM
For Sale Spektrum Telemetry TM1000's, TM1100's,AR6000 DSM2, 4 New Orange DSM 2 Receivers, daign FPV Equipment (FS/W) 8 Jun 02, 2012 03:26 PM
Sold Brand New Orange DSM 2 Satellite Receivers healthyfatboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 9 May 06, 2012 04:17 PM
Sold Mint Spektrum DX6i, DSM 2 with 6ch Orange RX tankbuster Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Apr 06, 2012 08:39 AM