SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2009
24 Posts
Discussion
How to set termination timeout > 15 min in PL8

Hi guys,

I've got the PL8 and I need to parallel charge my GBS cells to 3.65 V for at least 24 hours in order to force them to balance, got these instructions from supplier.

But i cannot set the C.V. timeout to more than 15 minutes in the termination tab of my preset. So every 15 minutes i need to restart the charge. Is there a way around this ? I can select more than 15 minutes, but then it tells me i have an error and i cannot send the preset to my charger. Only 15 minutes is allowed.

I've got many cells to balance this way.

thanks in advance

Hugues
hlalibe is offline Find More Posts by hlalibe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlalibe View Post
Hi guys,

I've got the PL8 and I need to parallel charge my GBS cells to 3.65 V for at least 24 hours in order to force them to balance, got these instructions from supplier.

But i cannot set the C.V. timeout to more than 15 minutes in the termination tab of my preset. So every 15 minutes i need to restart the charge. Is there a way around this ? I can select more than 15 minutes, but then it tells me i have an error and i cannot send the preset to my charger. Only 15 minutes is allowed.

I've got many cells to balance this way.

thanks in advance

Hugues
Hi:

This is normally not a problem. What preset are you trying to update?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Oct 2009
24 Posts
Hi Tim,

i'm trying to update preset 11, i attached the latest version i'm using, i changed the extension to .txt in order to upload it to the forum.

I can select more than 15 min, but when i'm trying to send the presets to the PL8, i get the error screen, and the text says i need to set the C.V. timeout to 15 min
Last edited by hlalibe; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlalibe View Post
Hi Tim,

i'm trying to update preset 11, i attached the latest version i'm using, i changed the extension to .txt in order to upload it to the forum.

I can select more than 15 min, but when i'm trying to send the presets to the PL8, i get the error screen, and the text says i need to set the C.V. timeout to 15 min
Hi:

I think you're getting this error because the preset you're using is a non-balanced preset. Simplest workaround I would recommend as follows:

1) Parallel a set of wires with the main pack wires (red/black) to go to one of the PL8 balance cable. If you don't have one of these cables, this is what you need:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-10-9-Position

2) Refer to the PL8 user guide, page 66 for details on how to wire for a 1s.

User guide: http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1377.pdf

3) Then, when you connect the cell to the PL8, connect both the main wires and the balance port.

4) Leave the PL8 in FMA WIRING MODE (the default setting)

5) Then start with one of the A123 balanced charge presets like preset 8 and you will be able to set the C.V. timeout > 15 min if needed.

Hope this helps!

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
24 Posts
ok thanks Tim
i'll do that