SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:07 AM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Toasted my plush18a

Hey guys was wondering if you had any idea where I went wrong... I flashed using the tools tick and the scilab flashing utility. I connected to my esc using the clothespin method. I flashed the plush 18 multi rotor hex file. The flash seemed to go ok when I test the esc with a motor and no prop the esc armed spun the motor up but on the way to full throttle it cut out and back in. I ran the throttle up and down a few times same problem then the motor stopped working just bouncing back and forth as if I lost a phase. Disconnected everything and noticed the esc was a bit warm. Tried powering back up nothing no arming tones. Thought I would try to re flash the tool stick connected no problem but when trying to read the config with the bl heli GUI I let out the magic smoke on one of the fets. Any idea where I went wrong or why the step in the throttle after the first flash ? Thanks in advance!

Joe
Joe_Wildcat is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Wildcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:16 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I toasted a few plush 18's, but that was from a short. Are you positive that you didn't have a short? Were you running them without the heat sink?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
The heat sink was still on just took it off to see where it burnt. Where was your short??
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Wildcat View Post
The heat sink was still on just took it off to see where it burnt. Where was your short??
Still not 100% sure, silly me pulled it apart to see the damage before fully assessing the situation. The basic fact is the firmware should not cause a hardware fault, I don't think it has a "HCF" instruction. It's far more likely that something wasn't wired right or broke from the plugging and unplugging.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
True.... I did see posts on limiting current when powering the board. But obviously I didn't take that precaution. I am going to risk another and try again being a little more methodical in my approach to try and figure out the problem. I will post the results.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
25 Posts
Thanks SSKAUG, I've tryed one by one separately and they work correctly !!!
Thanks so much for the 9.3 version !!

Best Regards
criyu is offline Find More Posts by criyu
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
updated owSilProg/BLHeliTool/BLHeliBox to include BLHeli Rev9.3: http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Can't flash TGY AE 45A - Error message

hello all,
I'm new here and could need some help : I have tried flashing a Turnigy AE 45A and am getting no luck.
I'm using a flashed Arduino Duemilanove 328 as an interface and am getting these errors every time I try to flash :
"

Flash hex file... Please wait!
delay... OK
v... OlliW SilProg v0.08 PB3PB4
r... rok
d... dok00 -> Device ID 00 MCU INCORRECT or connection to target FAILED!

Flash hex file... Please wait!
delay... OK
v... OlliW SilProg v0.08 PB3PB4
r... rok
d... dok40 -> Device ID 40 MCU INCORRECT or connection to target FAILED!

I used this file to flash the Arduino : owsilprog_v008_m328p_16mhz_pb3pb4
and this one to flash the TGY AE45A : TURNIGY_AE_45A_MULTI_REV9_2
This is the way I'm connected to the esc (see pictures), I'm powering the esc with a 3s LiPo via the power cables (may be that's where I'm wrong?)...

Thanks for your help
Bob
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
the device IDs for the supported silabs microcontrollers are 0A and 08 (chips of series F33x and F31x, respectively), if the connection would be OK the error would indicate that your ESC doesn't use these chips (could you check by reading of the chip type?)(but I rather don't think this is the issue)

you do get two different readings for the device id... do you get this for one and the same ESC? If so this would indicate some sort of transmission problem. Your wiring looks correct in principle, but maybe the connection is not good enough... the contacts to the pads can be a problem in the sort of approach you're using. Maybe a more "spring-type" configuration would be better.

Connection the ESC to the lipo as you do is how one should do it (if not powered otherwise)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Dec 2009
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by criyu View Post
Thanks SSKAUG, I've tryed one by one separately and they work correctly !!!
Thanks so much for the 9.3 version !!

Best Regards
Great to hear! I hope now all 8 of them will run smoothly together.
Thanks,
Steffen
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
@ OlliW : yes, same esc can give me different ID readings as it the case in my example.
I even tried holding the clothe pin down with my hand while flashing but no improvement.
I will now solder wires to the pads and try again...
Another possible issue is that I'm using a virtual Windows7 session on an iMac Intel, but flashing the Arduino was flawless so I doubt it is the case.
If soldering doesn't do the job I will try on a PC with XP3 on it.

Thanks for the very good work to sskaug and OlliW (I'm not sure at the time being who did what), I'm very excited by the possibilities offered by this alternative software.
I haven't yet read all the pages on Helifreaks, could you briefly tell me the differences between "Main" "Tail" and "Multi"?

Thanks,
Bob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:10 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Success!!!

ok, tried again this morning (last try was at 4:00 am) I guess clearer ideas and sharper eyes helped
I just put more pressure on the rig to ensure contact and all went flawlessly!
I'm relieved and very happy

I have some questions though :
- where can I find explanations on settings for multis?
- could you briefly tell me the differences between "Main" "Tail" and "Multi"
- I found BLHeliSetup software while digging the internet for info yesterday, can't remember where it came from, but what is the difference between it and BLHeliTool? If any, why use one rather than the other?
- I can't seem to be able to connect BLHeliSetup to my esc to test anyway, all is greyed out, any idea?

Thanks a lot guys, you made my day
Bob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
well... well... I guess going to sleep too late doesn't help for this kind of surgery, when i soldered the wires to the esc, I reversed C2CK and Ground.
Now the esc is dead, if I connect the battery there is no more led and when I connect the esc to a servo tester there is an obvious short, servo tester goes out.
What could I have fried, do you think I could I fix the esc?
Not that I care too much, but it's my only unused silab esc I can make tests on...

Silly Bob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,880 Posts
GREAT that it worked out

Quote:
I'm not sure at the time being who did what
Quote:
what is the difference between it [BLHeli-Setup] and BLHeliTool?
OK, some notes on history

Steffen alias sskaug wrote the BLHeli firmware (which is the hex file you flash into the ESC)

4712 alias Achim then developed BLHeli-Setup to program BLHeli-enabled ESCs via the PC using the Silabs Toolstick programmer and clones

Later I developed the usage of AVR microcontrollers, in particular Arduino boards, for flashing Silabs-based ESCs, the firm/softwares needed for that (owSilProg, BLHeliTool, AvrBurnTool), and further concepts such as the BLHeliBox.

4712 alias Achim then copied the Arduino and programming box concepts and integrated them into his BLHeli-Setup.

Quote:
If any, why use one rather than the other?
as a result of the latter action, both became similar. With regards to the programming via the PC, both provide similar functions and from the users perspective its probably more a matter of taste which one to choose ...

(...if you're not interested in the advanced BLHeliBox concepts and future ideas coming up soon or showing appreciation to the inventors LOL)

Quote:
where can I find explanations on settings for multis?
Steffens pdf on Git hub, which is also available through TomSn0ws spreadsheet (BLHeli Documentation in here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0)

Quote:
could you briefly tell me the differences between "Main" "Tail" and "Multi"
Main and Tail are for brushless conversion of helicopters (main motor and tail motor), Multi is the correct option for multi copters

Quote:
I can't seem to be able to connect BLHeliSetup to my esc to test anyway, all is greyed out, any idea?
it uses a different programmer/protocol
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Yeah, for power it's best to use a low current source. I use the AA holder that I took out of my TX as the power when flashing ESC's to lower the risk.