HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, NJ, Absecon
Joined May 2008
121 Posts
Question
painting super cub & new decals

I'm refinishing my old super cub,(red and white foam) using krylon outdoor satin white paint, i also bought krylon crystal clear spray to, (I hope) protect the new paint job, is this proper? also if its good to go, should i put the decals on the new paint, then use the crystal clear, or put the new decals on after i use the crystal clear spray. thanks-- any help would be appreciated as this is my frist attempt a painting a model plane
serairdog is offline Find More Posts by serairdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2008
121 Posts
Come on guys someone must be able to help me, I would like to paint my plane tomarow thanks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:30 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
I would think that Krylon would disolve the foam.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2008
121 Posts
thanks for the reply tom, I will test the paint on the foam, were you cant see the test area, I was hoping some of the guys would give me some advise as to my org question, (I'm sure they have attempted the to do a make over on a super cub) I hope I do not reck my plane, or make it look worse than it did befor the paint job.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
I'd try the use of waterborne craft paints.

Or, you could lay down a couple coats of waterborne Minwax Polycrylic. Let it dry for at least a week, and then use your Krylon.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:58 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
Painting the S.C. is tricky.As the area (aft) of the C.G. is substantial ,and the weight of the paint will make it tail heavy.I wouldn't paint it.Just apply the stickers . All the coats you have indicated will add a lot of wt.and effect its flight .But if you are going to paint it do a test patch first to see if it eats the foam.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2008
121 Posts
thanks for the input guys, I tried the koylon pant, on test area seemed to work ok, now I'm going to paint the rest of the plane with it. then I'm going to post the ducal question on the beginners form, to see if I get anymore advise.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
I'd place the decals before I sprayed the clear. It will seal them to the airframe..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, OH, Painesville
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
I agree decals before clear is the way to go,
I used craft paint with air brush little light spackle,little sand light paint,little light sand light
paint,again light paint decals clear coat satin (polyacryilic) SWEET!
Duke2448 is offline Find More Posts by Duke2448
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,705 Posts
http://http://www.rcfoam.com/product...6c2dd60d247b36I believe the super cup is epp foam and nothing can kill it. I have even used regular CA on it. Paint it straight and forget the polyacryilic. Use this on top instead.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Motherwell
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
crystal clear is a acrylic so should be ok and how did u get on with your plane any pictures? and is it shiny with the crystal clear?
Paramanic is offline Find More Posts by Paramanic
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Shiny Super Cub Foam Wing

This past weekend I just painted my first Super Cub LP wing. I used Light weight spackle, Polyurethane and Gloss enamel spray paint.
josev1234 is offline Find More Posts by josev1234