Codehead is offline Find More Posts by Codehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:07 PM
I meant to do that
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
until she lands usually.

There are too many variable to answer that question. Most planes that size get about 10 to 15 minute flights.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
In stock configuration but with a 2-blade APC 11x6, flaps up and no airbrakes on the LG - a typical flight is 8-10 minutes with some reserve to cruise around while waiting for the field to become available (deadstick landing, plane retrieval, etc.)

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:31 PM
V10
Joined Jan 2007
19 Posts
My PTS mustang still has all the "trainer" features attached, flew it twice yesterday, 5-10mph winds, mostly at 90% throttle, average flight time was 6-8 minutes with 1-2 onces of fuel to spare after landing.

This was the maiden flights for my PTS, and I got to say, it flew very predictably and extremely stable. I'm very pleased with it. Now I just got to find a spare servo somewhere so I can operate the flaps in flight.
V10 is offline Find More Posts by V10
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
My advice is to get rid of all the "trainer stuff" except the wing droops - the LE extensions at the wingtips. Use an APC or MA 11x6 2-blade prop instead of the stock 3-bladed fan. The plane is not a "trainer" anyways.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2007, 03:48 AM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codehead
How long does she fly each time?
Like someone else said, the typical fly time for most RC planes are 8~10 min. One can eaily install a larger fuel tank, but then it would not be as fun to fly as it become less agile.

If you are asking that question, you are probably new to RC. Believe me, 5 min. will seems like forever when you are just learning to fly.

Brian
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2002
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
The plane is not a "trainer" anyways.

Ivan
Well, I suppose that would depend upon one's definition of the word "trainer". I have seen one of these used to quite sucessfully teach two newcomers how to fly; both through to solo. What got my attention was the comments both of these youngsters made: "It doesn't LOOK like a trainer." Indeed it doesn't.

The logic here is that a kid isn't too thrilled with your basic box-with-wings trainer. I well remember grandson #1 being incredibly bored with his Kadet "trainer", once the initial thrill was gone and I made him do the mundane stuff over and over again; and how he perked up when he got to fly the Kougar I built for him.

No, the PTS isn't a go-it-alone primary trainer; but then, what airplane IS? Maybe one of those el cheapo electric things that vaguely resembles an airplane...

What the PTS IS is a good plane to learn to fly on, using a buddy box. I was sufficiently impressed with it that I bought the ARF just last week for grandson #2, who is six and showing interest in learning grandad's toys.

After doing a lot of reading, and watching the local one fly, I will use the flaps and droops, with an OS .46 SF turning an 11x4 prop to begin with. Those speed brake things can be a double-edged sword, and will be turned into pseudo gear doors.

Gotta get the kid up to speed on a sim, though; so it will be a while before I assemble this one.
Steve Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Steve Campbell
Old Dec 02, 2007, 05:06 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
beef up the main gear...this seems to be the planes weakest link....we have 3 guys that have put .60 size engines in theirs all of them have had gear problems...even the guys that leave them stock have gear problems
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 02, 2007, 07:38 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_
Like someone else said, the typical fly time for most RC planes are 8~10 min. One can eaily install a larger fuel tank, but then it would not be as fun to fly as it become less agile.
Brian
Only less agile until the fuel burns down to the same level as the smaller tank.

My trainer lasts for about half an hour, and I can't tell the difference between a full tank or an empty tank in the way it flies.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ