Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2006, 02:07 AM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
Discussion
RcWorks Snappy 25" Powered by Razor 300

I have had two Snappy wings before this one and had always powered them with a Razor 300. A Razor motor is hard to describe they work so well super strong and very light weight. When you add it to building the Snappy as light as possible you get a balanced fast little wing. I built the Snappy using the Henry fiberglass cloth covering process. Tape weights too much and can't add the durability that Henry fiberglass cloth does. All of these factors added up to be a really cool wing that again flies very fast. I have loaned my radar gun to www.diamonddustrc.com right now so they can do some testing on the "Dust" but when they are done I will get it back and get some readings on the Snappy if we can. During testing I have had some crashes from getting to crazy. The Henry cloth allowed me to pick it up and just start flying again no need to fix anything.
Setup:

RcWorks Snappy 25" Cores uncut www.rcworks.com
Razor 300 /4700kv
3x2 prop / adapter
Hyperion 1200 3s 20c pack ( Ask www.maxaxmps.com )
2x Hs-81 servos
Align 20amp ESC
Henry cloth and spray adhesive (Ask Klique about this at RiteWingrc.com)
CF rods and Balsa and Bass wood for motor mount and Alierons
GWS Pico 4 CH #25
2mm Coroplast

I fly this wing more than any other wing right now. Quick and banks hard but with out the radar gun all I can say is close to 80mph
catahuladave is offline Find More Posts by catahuladave
Last edited by catahuladave; Apr 06, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2006, 09:08 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
A better 20mm motor mount. (The one that is included in the RZX.)

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html

ACC3920 for Motor Dia. 20mm
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Apr 07, 2006, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2005
22 Posts
looks good, 80mph is pretty fast, do you lose orientation easily?
rcflyerx is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerx
Old Apr 07, 2006, 04:01 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
These are small I have had one up to 60 and they are easy for me to manage.

20 more MPH shold not be too hard to survive. Just makes them more fun.

All the Snappy HLX's are gone, I have a version made for the Razor (Snappy RZX))but I am looking for another motor for those that want to fly cheap. I have sold out all but 5 Johnsons (DCM-189, I never tried any others.) Those are for me lest I die before I can use them, then they go to my son. I hear Ming has some but I do not know how they measure up against these.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
i have one of the snappy hlx's built with a razor 400 and it cooks. this little wing has got to be my second favorite, right behind my new diablo. the wing tracks straight, flies like a banshee and was CHEAP. keep up the good work skunkworksrc, you guys are in my opinion, the definitive company for EPP wings. P.S. thanx for getting the diablo out for me when you did. it showed up before i was expecting it, and it flies awesome, even with the slower mega 3-turn. can you say unlimited verticle? thanx again and big props!!!!
nuttcase21 is offline Find More Posts by nuttcase21
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,669 Posts
I HAVE THE SCRAPY FROM WING WARRIOR USING A 300DF BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER FROM WWW.JUSTGOFLY.COM AND IT GOES ABOUT 80 AND HAS UNLIMITED VERTICAL USING A 3 CELL 740 LIPOLY THE WEIGHT IS 9 OZ AND THE MOTOR ONLY PULLS 10 AMPS
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Apr 13, 2006, 06:38 AM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
One of my favorites

Video coming next week!

It can be harder in low light but otherwise its not that hard to see it. I have not lost it yet but I think its possible so thats why I try to do good contrast covering schemes to help prevent that. The wing that I had to take a part to make the new Diablo HLX 1.5 was one the hardest wings to see in the sky. It was the fastest for me ever to 125mph. Thats a dangerous combo so its death and rebirth is for the better. I lot comes out of the mistakes I make when doing these projects. The goal we here is for us to show you setups that we know work. We are always looking for other projects to try and cover everyones ideas. This is done to help you have confidence that a setup you want to buy will work well with your RcWorks wing kits.

I agree with the statement about the Snappy being a blast to fly and the vertical aspect it does go and it does not putt its way up its will do about 35mph straight up. I have a video that is coming out soon that will show you a launch and then straight up to 300ft then comes screaming straight down and then right back up. I can put this wing anywhere I want to in the sky there is no stall area at all.

The favorite is Diablo it will go anywhere you want in the sky also its just louder and faster about doing it. It grawls when its going up and it screams when it goes by @100mph. An RC rush!!!!

Now I have an issue, its the new Diablo HLX 1.5 it is so cool and so much more room too. I am again taking my time and not rushing it. I will rush it later when I am flying it in the sky. I can say this much it has that feel and the shape that will make it very versitile wing. I am starting to think it may have what it needs to break the "flying motor mount" stereotype some have given it. This new version will have a lot more glide in it.
Old May 01, 2006, 06:39 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Video?
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 02, 2006, 11:00 AM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Video?
Filming this coming weekend and the Snappy is the first on the list. I got my radar gun back the other day too. I will be able to show everyone how fast its going. I will edit it and post it Sunday night. Sorry about the delay, been working on other projects.
Old May 15, 2006, 06:47 PM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
New Video

First of all I did a typo the day I started this thread the Snappy is not 25" its 24" sorry about that.

I put on the stock winglets because they do work better. I am using the Hyperion 20c/30c 1200 3 cell from www.maxamps.com which work very well. The total flying weight is 10.9oz. I don't recommend the GWS props but they do work for about 7 flights and then it will throw a blade at any time after that. Here is a picture of how its looks today and a video from this past weekend. The winds were around 15 to 20mph it was hard to fly. Radar readings were close to 80mph but we need to do it again on a less windy day.

video link was 9mb now its 2.5mb.
http://www.RCworks.com/guest/rcworks...snappyrcgs.avi
Last edited by catahuladave; May 17, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 03:12 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Catahuladave - do you have a link to the Henry cloth? Method and distributor?

I'd like to see another option to the .5/.75 oz. cloth with WBPU.

Thanks,
uproar90
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:08 PM
Ramona, California
Joined May 2003
383 Posts
uproar90,

You could buy Klique's build video for $29.95
http://www.monsoonrc.com/index.php?cPath=62
Or wait until they get the mini demon back in stock for $39.95 includes video.
Both types of fiberglass Klique recommends and 3M 90 can be found at Homedepot.
7thSon is offline Find More Posts by 7thSon
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:19 PM
Bauwingmiester
Florida Gville
Joined Jul 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSon
uproar90,

You could buy Klique's build video for $29.95
http://www.monsoonrc.com/index.php?cPath=62
Or wait until they get the mini demon back in stock for $39.95 includes video.
Both types of fiberglass Klique recommends and 3M 90 can be found at Homedepot.
Thats the best advice

DSS
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:35 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I know this is a forever OLD thread - but any more info on the HLX and Razor combo? I've had this for a long time and haven't gotten around to it. Put it up for sale and haven't had any interest so I'm thinking about going ahead and doing it myself.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:46 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
I had a Scrappy with a speed scream on it and it was an absolute blast to fly. Do it up CC!
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins