Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:56 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Help on Rotor Build!

This is a Rotor fuse I was able to pick up this last weekend. All I have is the fuse. I need info on who could bag a set of wings and the tail sections. I know Jay has built one recently, I saw it fly and it was sweet! Any help would be much appreciated! I know WinchDoc has the hardware! What servos would I want to use? A metal gear digital with a bunch of torque, would be my first thought.

Here are a few pic's of the fuse and how I would like it to come out!
MP
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2005, 12:08 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
I found these Shrike wings!
http://skykingrcproducts.com/accesso...rbonwings.html
Would they work!
MP
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:34 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,467 Posts
Shrike wings on a Rotor

MP,

My infamous 'hornet' Rotor (13 years old? I forget) currently has a set of wings that I bagged up from Harris Nelson Shrike cores. Yeah, they will work on your rotor. Important to be sure you get the right size tubing inthe wings the stock Shrike is designed to use a 1/4" wing rod. Different wingeron systems may require different rods.

My system uses a 5/16" ejector pin, but you need to install 3/8" ID tubing in the wing for it to work. Plan ahead!

Doc
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:46 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Thanks for the info Winchdoc! I would like to use your system, seems like the best out there.
MP
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:52 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2004
698 Posts
Shrike Wings on a Rotor

I do have some Carbon Bagged wings in stock if you want them but I should tell you that the Shrike wing is very thin. The wing rod for this wing is 1/4". The wing is too think to handle anything larger but you might be able to sleeve the fuselage tube so that a 1/4" wing rod would not be an issue.
Ed
SkyKing RC is offline Find More Posts by SkyKing RC
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:04 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,468 Posts
What is the wingspan on a stock Rotor?

If it's 60" I might be able to provide you with a set of Ultron wings. I'm making them with the correct tubes inside for Winchdoc hardware. The planform and tip shape are similar so Ultron wings would look OK on a Rotor I think.

Better yet, Jay Decker might be able to provide a set of Rotor cores. I think he was cuting his own, so he probably has the templates needed already.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Apr 04, 2005, 06:21 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
This is some info I found on the Rotor, thanks to Jay!

Ken Stuhr's Original Rotor Design:
Span: 58"
Length: 44 1/2" to the end of the "stinger"
Area: 305 sq. in.
Original Airfoil: E374 thinned to 7.5% thickness.
Original wt and loading: 31 oz and 15 oz/sq. ft.

This Rotor:
Span: 58"
Length: 44 1/2" to the end of the "stinger"
Area: 305 sq. in.
Airfoil: DS4, 9% thick, 1.64% camber
Wt and loading: 40.6 oz and 19.6 oz/sq. ft.
Servos: HiTec HS-5945 (Dual BB, Digital, MG, Corelss, 153 oz-in)

Jay Decker
Kennewick, WA
Old Apr 04, 2005, 08:17 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
I use 2 meter 7003 all carbon bagged wings on my Rotor-- works very well! Ken offered the Rotor with 2 wings-- the shorter "fast" wings and a longer 3021 "thermal" set of wings that were near 2 meters. I just used the long length to make a faster overall plane. Nearly any wing will work-- depends on what you want the plane to do.
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Apr 05, 2005, 01:14 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
You should ask APC to provide you a special set of wing/rotors. Once you get this thing spinning the wings will act like an APC propeller and you can go hunting for thermals.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:46 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Guess I need to buy a bagging video and get geared up! Maybe I should make a fuse mold while I'm at it. Any pointer's on pumps and supplies? Would like to start off on the right foot! Maybe a good starting point would be the video! Which Video!
This looks like a pretty good one! Does it go over pumps and where to get bags and supplies?
http://home.paonline.com/hayman/PAGE2.htm
Any others I should take a look at?
MP
Old Apr 05, 2005, 03:02 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2004
698 Posts
Phil Barnes Video

You've hit the jackpot. The Phil Barnes video is by far the best one available. It covers everything you'll need to know in high detail. Phil has developed many tricks/techniques not covered on the other videos I've seen on this subject. This is a video that you will actually study and maybe even take notes on.

If you need a vacuum pump I'd be glad to help you with that. I have two options listed on my web site: www.skykingrcproducts.com

You can also find great deals on pumps by going to e-Bay and typing the words "gast vacuum pump" in the search engine.
Ed
SkyKing RC is offline Find More Posts by SkyKing RC
Old Apr 05, 2005, 03:40 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Thanks Ed,
Just ordered the Video! Let me watch it and I need to ask around a few buddies to see if they have any bagging equipment. If not, seems like you’re the man to see! What is the big difference between the two systems you sell? Seemed very similar to me.
MP