Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
Discussion
New Build, ideas please!

I've been given access to a CNC hot wire foam cutter...which can cut large pieces of Bluecore. I'm super excited to build a solid wing and fuse...but what should I build?!

I don't know the exact size of the foam available to me, but it looks to be 4" thick, 24" wide, and 6' long.

So here is my question!

I'm looking to build something fast and aerobatic. I wanted my next build to be a F-18, L-39, or the Super Habu...but I am open to any ideas.

The F-18 is my top choice at the minute, as I might have the privilege to fly one in a couple years.

Please give me some ideas. I would like to build another 68mm EDF, but I am willing to build up to a 90mm.

Tell me what you think...
-Type/model
-Size (length, width)
-EDF size

Thanks!
DoubleOne is offline Find More Posts by DoubleOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
Here is the machine!
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:24 AM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Your lucky to have that access to a wire cutter. I love building myself.

What about an earlier version of a mig? Or how about a saber? Simple designs yet effective and very fun.

What about the A-10 Warthog? Awesome plane to fly and is diverse depending on your mood. (you can fly it full speed or gentle keeping it in close ranges)

My preference are wing spans around 45 - ~58 inches. Probably need 70mm fans on 4-5s batteries. Although I fly some pretty large models on 64mm and 3s but I prefer slower flight. But since your going for speed you will need to size up. 70mm fans seem to be the sweet spot in my book.

Have you built before and do you fly other aircraft often?
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:29 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,021 Posts
Of course the final decission is yours, and that -"I've already received my service assignment: Naval Aviation ", you should go with your gut feeling and do the F-18 Super Hornet!!

You did, as the brits say, A spot on job, with you F-35, continue with the Navy theme. You have plenty of time to do all the rest.

---"Non sibi sed patriae"''
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:17 PM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
What about something different like x-36, perhaps adding a v stabiliser to avoid any yaw issue that surfaces.
siang is offline Find More Posts by siang
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
How about something unusual and beautiful, that you don't see every day? This is a De Havilland Sea Vixen. And it's gorgeous.

Then there's the amazing Avro Vulcan. This would be a great foam build.

And who doesn't love a beautiful Dassault Mirage 2000?

builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I'll consider a Sea Vixen build of my own someday.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,021 Posts
Maybe you haven't seen pontious build thread on the De Havilland Sea Vixen F (AW) Mk 2 ? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1718284
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,389 Posts
have some fun & do your own. build small profile first
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Douglas X-3 Stiletto. Looks fast and probably does very nice unintentional aerobatics!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOne View Post
I've been given access to a CNC hot wire foam cutter...which can cut large pieces of Bluecore. I'm super excited to build a solid wing and fuse...but what should I build?!

I don't know the exact size of the foam available to me, but it looks to be 4" thick, 24" wide, and 6' long.

So here is my question!

I'm looking to build something fast and aerobatic. I wanted my next build to be a F-18, L-39, or the Super Habu...but I am open to any ideas.

The F-18 is my top choice at the minute, as I might have the privilege to fly one in a couple years.

Please give me some ideas. I would like to build another 68mm EDF, but I am willing to build up to a 90mm.

Tell me what you think...
-Type/model
-Size (length, width)
-EDF size

Thanks!

You a Middie Double One?

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, but I've decided to go with the F-18. If I have enough time before graduation, I might give the Mirage 2000 a try. I've spent way too many hours trying to figure out the best way to draw a scaled f-18 in google sketch up and create coordinates for sections of the f-18...but it is starting to come together. Definitely going to start a build thread sometime this week if time permits.

J,

You guessed it, this is my last year as a mid. I've just picked up building and flying RC airplanes last summer, so it will be super nice when I have a place of my own with a little more space for building. Do you have any relation to the academy?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:05 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,080 Posts
Wow, things certainly have changed. So you're a firstie and have time to build models?????
What's your major? I don't remember any model shops in Bancroft?

J
Class of '69
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
I'm an aerospace engineer. Second Class year was fairly tough academically, and I really didn't have time to build. However, now that I'm a firstie...I've found that not only do I have more money to spend but I also have more time. I only have 15 credits, and I'm taking classes such as Conceptual Design, Flight Test Engineering, and VSTOL.

As an aero major, I have access to the wind tunnel lab as well as the machine shop in Rickover (engineer building). My last build was a F-35C, and I did that over the span of a few weeks in my room. Check it out if you get a chance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824327

What was your service assignment, and how long did you stay in for?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:02 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,080 Posts
Wonderful! Don't want to derail your thread, I'll PM.

J
RCG Plus Member