Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Question
Picked up a Bristol Bay on CL (question about radio)

Not sure where to put this as I didn't see a specific forum for radio gear, but a couple weeks ago, I picked up an Aquacraft Bristol Bay on CL dirt cheap.

The seller lost the radio and pretty much put it on the shelf after that (don't think he ever dipped it in the water)

A few weeks prior, I picked up an RTR Atlantic tug off CL and swapped over the radio gear just to make sure the electrics were all good in the Bristol Bay (they were).

So I bid on an Airtronics Tx/Rx off of EBay and snagged it for $9 bucks

Tried plugging it in and nothing worked

The Rx felt like it was getting warm, so I unplugged it and Googled the wiring to see if it was one of those weird radio systems with backwards wiring I had read about years ago and sure enough it was

Easy fix (I thought), so I picked up a couple of extension plugs and reversed the power wires to match the wiring guide I saw on Google, but when I plugged it in, I got nothing again (this time, the Rx stayed cool)

I figure I probably zapped the Rx the first time I plugged it in, so here's my question.

Since the Tx is an FM 75 Band, can I pickup an FM 75 Rx from any manufacturer (say Futaba or Hitec), swap over the crystal and just plug in the ESC/Servo as usual?

It's an Airtronics CX2P with a 92736 Rx
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:58 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Geez, I think that CX2P must be from the 80's.

Quote:
Since the Tx is an FM 75 Band, can I pickup an FM 75 Rx from any manufacturer (say Futaba or Hitec), swap over the crystal and just plug in the ESC/Servo as usual?
It's not that simple. Radios from back in that era had all sorts of ways to NOT be universal. The mfg's purposely made proprietary PCB's, servo plugs, battery polarity, etc so that consumers were forced to buy more of their brand.

Some of the issues might be "Positive Shift or Negative Shift". You need to know which you have, and get a Rx with the same 'shift'. Another issue is in fact the crystals. A crystal set from one brand many times will not work in another radio brand.

In my opinion, you should write off the $9 you wasted on that antique, long ago obsoleted, radio system. For a mere $20 you can get a very modern pistol grip radio that is on 2.4Ghz and enjoy rock solid control and also not worry about frequency interference if you happen across some other model boaters or car/truck/buggy drivers in the same area.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
AquaCraft (Bristol Bay, King's Ransom, etc.) is part of the Great Planes Corporate umbrella - with Futaba. Futa\ba actually made the radio units for AquaCraft, but put AquaCraft markings on them (Think Chevy/GMC pickups/SUV's). Best thing would be to get a new Futaba tx and rx and install it in the boat.

Airtronics radios are/were on positive shift; Futaba, Hitec, Tower Hobbies and most other radios are negative shift units. Airtronic's tx won't work with Futaba or Hitec rx.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Geez, I think that CX2P must be from the 80's.

In my opinion, you should write off the $9 you wasted on that antique, long ago obsoleted, radio system. For a mere $20 you can get a very modern pistol grip radio that is on 2.4Ghz and enjoy rock solid control and also not worry about frequency interference if you happen across some other model boaters or car/truck/buggy drivers in the same area.
Yeah, that's probably what I'll have to do

It's a shame cause I love the feel and the simplicity of the old heavy radios

Big knobs and switches

I can't stand the new digital radios because they feel like toys in your hands and are usually too complex for my old brain

The 2.4GHz radio that came with my Slash 4x4 has two tiny buttons that you have to use to navigate your way programming process that's nothing more than a confusing labyrinth to do sumthin as simple as a servo reversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob View Post
AquaCraft (Bristol Bay, King's Ransom, etc.) is part of the Great Planes Corporate umbrella - with Futaba. Futa\ba actually made the radio units for AquaCraft, but put AquaCraft markings on them (Think Chevy/GMC pickups/SUV's). Best thing would be to get a new Futaba tx and rx and install it in the boat.

Airtronics radios are/were on positive shift; Futaba, Hitec, Tower Hobbies and most other radios are negative shift units. Airtronic's tx won't work with Futaba or Hitec rx.
Yeah, I contacted Airtronics and they said the same thing

However, just for schlitz and giggles, I took the crystal out of the Airtronics FM Rx and stuck it into the stock Aquacraft AM Rx and surprisingly, it worked!! (sortof)

Steering is smooth and precise, and the throttle works fine at WOT in forward or reverse.

Unfortunately, at partial throttle, it's very jittery, so the whole thing's a wash

That being said, what model radio and receiver do you guys suggest for around $20 bucks (yes, I'm a cheap ole coot)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
I hear you loud and clear on the Traxxas 2.4G radio. It is ridiculous in its complexity by trying to do every programming function with those two buttons.

I got rid of my Traxxas nightmare and got a FlySky instead:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt2-blue.html

Currently out of stock at Hobbypartz.

But the same radio, actually, is in stock at Hobby King:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,925 Posts
Mixing radio components

The answer in NO. You must run the receiver that matches the Transmitter, with a few exceptions. Airtronics used 3 different types of 75mh radios!!, and they are not even inter-changeable, within the Airtronics family. I will agree with the advice given you above, just buy a new radio. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
OK, so I picked up a FlySky HKGT2, but ran into a little snag

I'm not able to trim the throttle to a neutral setting

Even though I have the trim knob turned all the way back, I still have to hold the trigger forward a little to keep the motor from spinning

Other than that, the controls seem to work fine.

Unfortunately, the owners manual doesn't say anything about adjusting the trigger throw.

On my Atlantic tug, I have a Traxxas TQ and have the trigger set to the 70/30 position (which is what this thing feels like it needs)

As for the performance of the boat, is this thing supposed to be this fast

I'm running a small 2s pack and it feels like a damn rocketship!!

I don't mind the extra umph, but I don't think fishing boats are supposed to spit out rooster tails lol

Any ideas on how to adjust the throttle?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:14 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
1st, a LiPo delivers way more current than you need in that boat and that is why it accelerates so hard.

As for the radio, try setting the throttle to Reverse instead of Normal. Set your trim knob in the center. If the motor has a good neutral, you are good. Just reverse the wires on the motor.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
1st, a LiPo delivers way more current than you need in that boat and that is why it accelerates so hard.

Even if it's only 2s?

I'm running a 12v batt in my Atlantic tug and it's not half as fast as this thing

Quote:
As for the radio, try setting the throttle to Reverse instead of Normal. Set your trim knob in the center. If the motor has a good neutral, you are good. Just reverse the wires on the motor.
Tried that already

There's still no neutral point and the only difference is that it goes forward slowly, screams in reverse and I have to squeeze the trigger a little in order to find a neutral spot with the trim pegged in the opposite direction
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:59 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Most ESC's are programmable. IE, you set the neutral point when you first fire them up with a new Tx. Unfortunately, the stock Aquacraft ESC is a sealed unit with no programming button.

But at least you found out is has a great reverse with the new Tx.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,925 Posts
Battery Voltage

That boat is DESIGNED, to operate on a 7.2v battery pack, and it is to fast stock! A 6v battery, will do just fine. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
I know, I just had an extra 2s 7.4v pack laying around, so I figured I'd pop it in.

Here's a short video of it in action (I'm gunna need a bigger pool)

Aquacraft Bristol Bay RC Fishing Boat Test (Un-Edited Mobile Upload) (1 min 41 sec)

I plan on gutting the radio tomorrow to see if I can adjust the trigger setting cause I don't think there's any way to program it
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:05 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,850 Posts
If there is more power in reverse than forward, it needs to have the motor leads reversed, and the throttle switch on the TX reversed from its current setting. Then, next time its all switched on, it should be possible to find the neutral position.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
If there is more power in reverse than forward, it needs to have the motor leads reversed, and the throttle switch on the TX reversed from its current setting. Then, next time its all switched on, it should be possible to find the neutral position.
Like I said before, no matter which way I have the switch set, there is no neutral position.

As she sits, I have to hold the trigger forward slightly to get neutral.

That's with the trim cranked all the way.

If I switch to reverse, there's still no neutral position and I have to pull the trigger slightly to get neutral.

And again, that's with the trim cranked all the way.

The only real difference in this case is that it goes forward slowly and screams in reverse.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:41 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,850 Posts
Then it looks like the throttle pot wasn't set properly in the first place. I have tweaked stick types to get this right, but mostly from the point of view of having a symmetrical response with the reverse switch, or to match it with other TXs, but not having disassembled a pistol type, I can only guess. The way with the stick types was to slacken the lock nut, then tweak the pot body, then re-tighten.
Some ESCs provide more power in reverse than forward, hence my comment about the reverse switch and the motor leads.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02