Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Discussion
Three cameras on a single plane - where do I put them

My primary camera is a PZ0420 on a 260deg pan with tilt mount on the nose of an 1880mm black Skywalker.. I have a video switcher on a 3 way toggle with two other (lower grade) cameras to put elsewhere on the plane. The other two are not board cameras (well sort of), but they are about 3/4" round so relatively aerodynamic. Especially on a large plane like the Skywalker.

Where would you put the other two cameras? My initial thought is to have one at the top of the tail looking forwards. It would have a somewhat practical purpose as I could flip to it to get a broad picture of the overall condition of the airplane and check to make sure things are functioning (motor running, flight controls moving, etc). The other I was thinking of pointing straight back on the tail (like the tail gunner of a B-17) as a "rear view mirror". Another thought is to have one in the fuse pointing straight down since my 260 pan will essentially be able to look back already.. Any other suggestions??? Practical and/or fun??
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,023 Posts
Easy....
Front (you got that one sorted)
Back (in the tail)
Bomb bay doors!

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,017 Posts
To see the whole plane from the rear stab, you'll need a wide angle lens. I tried it, very cool to have a 3rd person view

-Hugo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
Easy....
Front (you got that one sorted)
Back (in the tail)
Bomb bay doors!

It's funny, I've had this goal for a while. Set up a bomb drop mechanism on my FPV plane... and do a long range bombing raid using harmless sponges or something. Or drop parachuting propaganda leaflets on random people LOL.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
To see the whole plane from the rear stab, you'll need a wide angle lens. I tried it, very cool to have a 3rd person view

-Hugo
I agree! I tried this with my old merlin. I used a shishkabob skewer as a boom sticking off the tail. Worked awesome until I crashed the thing (my fault). I never reinstituted it on another plane. My have to change that.
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
I saw a video with a camera mounted out on the tip of one wing looking toward the fuse. Very cool video! It was a powered glider with really long wings though. I will try to find it.

As for myself, I am going to have a pod with 3 cameras mounted to one pan and tilt. A flir, an IR and a 25x zoom. I will be able to swap the pod between my Y6 and X8.

Not the one I remember but you get the idea,

Radian Pro GoPro wingtip (3 min 24 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:52 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
As for myself, I am going to have a pod with 3 cameras mounted to one pan and tilt. A flir, an IR and a 25x zoom.
Oh man
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2010
74 Posts
What switchers do you guys use. We tried a 3 channel witcher from bevrc and it didnt work too great. The video quality got a lot worse for some reason. Maybe we hooked something up wrong. We are going to use just a 2 camera switch now one on the front with pan and tilt and then one mounted on the back wing of skywalker with wide angle lense.
Jaryd107 is offline Find More Posts by Jaryd107
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
I have tried several different switchers and had issues with video quality etc. The only one that has worked flawlessly is the one that dpcav.com sells.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
I build my own. I can switch up to four channels with a TS5V330 IC.
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:18 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaryd107 View Post
What switchers do you guys use. We tried a 3 channel witcher from bevrc and it didnt work too great. The video quality got a lot worse for some reason. Maybe we hooked something up wrong. We are going to use just a 2 camera switch now one on the front with pan and tilt and then one mounted on the back wing of skywalker with wide angle lense.
Now I'm worried. That's the one I have but haven't tested it yet.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
I've got a wide angle on the tip of my vertical stab on my twinstar, gives good views despite the lower quality CMOS camera that it is.

As for a third camera.. I've got no suggestions. Just tape it on temporarily and test out different locations.
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Put one looking straight down with a 6mm or even higher camera lense

This will give you incredible image of the ground

Far better than the 3.6 or 2.8 lense most likely used for main camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
My primary camera is a PZ0420 on a 260deg pan with tilt mount on the nose of an 1880mm black Skywalker.. I have a video switcher on a 3 way toggle with two other (lower grade) cameras to put elsewhere on the plane. The other two are not board cameras (well sort of), but they are about 3/4" round so relatively aerodynamic. Especially on a large plane like the Skywalker.

Where would you put the other two cameras? My initial thought is to have one at the top of the tail looking forwards. It would have a somewhat practical purpose as I could flip to it to get a broad picture of the overall condition of the airplane and check to make sure things are functioning (motor running, flight controls moving, etc). The other I was thinking of pointing straight back on the tail (like the tail gunner of a B-17) as a "rear view mirror". Another thought is to have one in the fuse pointing straight down since my 260 pan will essentially be able to look back already.. Any other suggestions??? Practical and/or fun??
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)