Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:17 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
959 Posts
Discussion
Pyro Russian Fishing Trawler

Seems I've stumbled onto one of the early renditions of the Lindberg North Atlantic Fishing Trawler. I've no relationship to the auction but only that the information presented represents a time capsule into the history of this ancient kit.

Seems Pyro took the same Cold War idea, ran with it and applied a "Russian Spy Trawler" moniker to the current, albeit benign sounding "Shrimp Boat" at one time.

But here's the North Atlantic Trawler in spy guise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyro-Russian...54833556975735

In other words, this kit is timeless; well constructed and builds into a readily capable model for RC conversion. Well recommended.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Mar 22, 2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: New info
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,738 Posts
Harquebus, I've had this kit under the Lindberg, Life-Like and Pyro banners over the years, and like you've said, it is indeed a decently made kit.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,571 Posts
It actually started out as a plastic version of the Model Shipways "Hildina" trawler, just as their 85' Harbor tug was a plastic version of the Model Shipways Despatch #9. They changed the names and box covers over the years, but the kits remained pretty much the same, even after Lindberg Models took over production.

Interestingly enough, Revell did the same thing with their trawler kit. I have one stashed away with "Russian Spy Ship" box art.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:09 AM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
959 Posts
I appreciate the education P_J. I've learned a great deal about these horrible styrene kits.
That popular auction site has turned up a long lost Model Shipways Hildina which corroborates your wild claims about the Lindberg trawler's origins...

I don't think I've ever seen such a raw hull "blank" as the one in this kit. The kit's almost already finished and has an integral pilot and deck house. Impressive wood shaping there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
I spent 2 years, 1964 to 1966, on Shemya in the Aleutian Islands and saw a lot of Russian "fishing trawlers" off our coast in the Bering Sea as we were installing a new radar set to monitor what the Russians were doing on Amchatka peninsula, their most active launch site for ICBM's, ERBM's, and other devices as they developed them. Those trawlers were "fishing" to find out what we were doing on what frequencies in an attempt to cause us problems tracking their new missiles. Ah, the height of the cold war, pretty simple compared to what is happening in the world today. It was a life changing experience, I'm glad I did it, but never again. I'm way to old for that stuff these days, happy to be building scale boats, but not Russian fishing trawlers.
62architect is offline Find More Posts by 62architect
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:30 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62architect View Post
I spent 2 years, 1964 to 1966, on Shemya in the Aleutian Islands and saw a lot of Russian "fishing trawlers" off our coast in the Bering Sea as we were installing a new radar set to monitor what the Russians were doing on Amchatka peninsula, their most active launch site for ICBM's, ERBM's, and other devices as they developed them. Those trawlers were "fishing" to find out what we were doing on what frequencies in an attempt to cause us problems tracking their new missiles. Ah, the height of the cold war, pretty simple compared to what is happening in the world today. It was a life changing experience, I'm glad I did it, but never again. I'm way to old for that stuff these days, happy to be building scale boats, but not Russian fishing trawlers.
Agreed! and the pages of reports that you had to send any time you just spotted a Soviet Vessel would give you writers cramp, as there were no PC's to help you put out those messages. Just handwritten forms that had to be punched on to teletype tape. I have more computing power on my I-Phone or my Notebook than we had on the whole USS Canberra!

Just being able to casually chat with modelers around the world in these forums is beyond anything we ever dreamed of!

Pete G.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:37 PM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
959 Posts
62architect, did you ever run across a Russian trawler equipped like this one? Has odd underwater fish collecting tubes. I guess the fish are sucked inside nullifying the usage of those primitive nets...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:45 PM
Detroit Metro, MI, USA
Joined Dec 2007
201 Posts
Aren't those the nearly silent, caterpillar propulsion drive from the Red October?
mr_impervious is offline Find More Posts by mr_impervious
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:48 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_impervious View Post
Aren't those the nearly silent, caterpillar propulsion drive from the Red October?
I was just wondering that myself. May have been an experimental setup to test the concept.

Pete G
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Russian Trawlers

I never saw one that close to determine how it was propelled. We had a bore sight tower on the island which we used to align our tracking radar antenna to make certain we would be able to get the antenna to the correct coordinates of what ever it was we were tracking. It was a fairly high tower, we used to climb it on clear days, which were few and far between, and check out the trawler activity on the Bering side of the island which had the highest congregation of trawlers, and we used high powered binoculars and other devices which I won't mention to check out the action. The pilots of Reeves Aleutian Airways would ask us what was going on as just before we lit the system up there were more than a dozen trawlers in the Bering Sea. The pilots had been coming out to Shemya enough to know something was about to happen as the trawlers always showed up at those times. Interesting, huh? So whose intelligence was better? Lots of stories to tell, have to get back to writing my book about life on the "Black Pearl" as Shemya was fondly called in those days. There is a web site called Spacetracker which has many photos of Shemya prominently displayed if anyone is interested. There was a woman behind every tree on Shemya and some of you may know there are no trees on the far western Aleutian Islands.

Norm
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:11 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
620 Posts
Looks like it has sonar, and torpedo tubes. It really is a "fishing" trawler. If there ever was a war, it would be "fishing" for suckers.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2014
137 Posts
Sonar?

That bubble between the holes could be where the transducer was housed. On US ships with sonar, such as the Destroyer Leaders, there was a round bubble built at the very front of the bow, below the waterline, where the transducer was housed, at least with SQS-26 sonars from the late 50's into the 60's. Was up close and personal with that system on the USS Wilkenson DL 5 which was the R & D ship and system for the GE SQS-26 sonar system which was developed in competition with another company whose name escapes me at this moment, General Dynamics I believe, and GD won the big contract from the Navy which put GE out of the Sonar business. I then was moved to the RADAR dept and learned about missile tracking. Part of the Industrial/Military game during the Cold War.

Norm