HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:32 PM
Crash Dummy
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
Heli Pad, I know you have both 3-channel and 4-channel Helis... do you move back and forth between the two formats without any problems??
I was wondering this lately while waiting for the v911 to show up. I have been flying my 3ch I got for xmas non stop. I'm curious to see if I'll have any trouble going back to the 3ch after getting accustomed to the 4ch controls.

Just checked the tracking for my order that I placed on the 29th of December...

Destination - United States of America
The item (XXXXXXXXXXXXXX) will leave Hong Kong for its destination on 7-Jan-2012

I'm pulling my hair out with anticipation waiting for this thing to show up :P
r6_cannibal is offline Find More Posts by r6_cannibal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
cpuken: The Turnigy 9x is great and it one of the best upgrades for these micro heli. But like the micro heli, you can only find them from overseas etailers. HobbyKing is where I purchased mine. It's currently out of stock, but they come back in stock every week or two from what I noticed.

Though the transmitter looks daunting...you won't need to use all the knobs and switches.

With some mods, I have my mSR, mCX2, 9958 bound to this heli. Soon, I'll swap out the Solo Pro RX with the V911 RX so I can control them all from one TX.

This Christmas is my 1st year aniversary with this heli hobby. So sooner or later, you're going to want a programmable TX.

I also have a Red V911 on the way.

Another thing. With the model memories in the Turnigy 9x. One is able to put together and control extra helis you slap together from spare parts.

Those are some things to think about.

Another overseas site for the transmitter is leaderhobby. They sell the original FS-TH9x. Which is the same TX, but the antenna is on the rear module...allowing it to be completely removable.
I loved the DSM2 mod you did for the 9x, but I had a few questions regarding how you did it. I've seen your webpage and find it very helpful but again, I still have a few questions, would you mind answering them for me here or sending me to a page with the answers (I tried searching for these, but I couldn't find them on the Turnigy 9x discussion, it's gotten so large).

The first question I have is how you placed the switch for turning the DSM2 module on, did you simply wire a SPST switch to the 3.3v power line?

The other question I have is, is it necessary to some how disable the Turnigy's own 2.4 ghz transmitter, and if so, how did you do that?

The last question (for now at least) is I've seen you discuss the er9x firmware being used to control the DSM2 transmitter being switched on, but I haven't seen it in the er9x firmware (and I'm running version 648 ), am I just not seeing it properly in the er9x menu?

Thanks so much.
sgnelson is offline Find More Posts by sgnelson
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Depends who you ask, some of my friends would tell you that I fly like a drunk.
I'll let you watch the video and judge for yourself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2350
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
299 Posts
My Turnigy 9x transmitter finally after waiting more than a month. Managed to bind it to the V911 and my 9958. In the V911, I needed to reverse the elevator controls only.

The servo throw is automatically set to the longer range and because the T9X has longer stick travel, it made controlling the V911 much more precise than the stock controller.

I'm not too sure how to use the exponential functions though. Anyone can help in this area?
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
Also, has anybody ordered extra batteries and noticed that the extra batteries have a slightly different plastic top. I believe the stock batteries (I've forgotten which was which, sorry) have just a tad more plastic and what I'll call a collar around the lipo part of the battery. Where as the other batteries do not have this collar and it is simply the black plastic part with the 2 conductors. I've noticed the weight difference between the two is 0.2 grams, not much, but it does seem to affect my CoG every time I change batteries between the two types.

Really this doesn't matter that much to me, I was just curious if anybody else has noticed this. (I received all 4 batteries from rcmart btw, which I have to commend for their quick shipping)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:08 AM
Croatia, County of Zagreb, Velika Gorica
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
For those whom are having problems binding, it's probably due to a slight throttle leakage. As as already been said;
Most RX will not bind unless the throttle is at nil.
Yap, you are right - on v911 we have this issue.

Quote:
As the transmitter is of poor quality there is probably leakage on the slider (potentiometer).
I think, it isn't. Usually it is not on zero position

Quote:
Anyone with basic electronics skills should get a resistor (try around 4.7K to start with) and ground the slider terminal. Playing with resistor values will eventually show throttle as zero.
Simple way is maybe to rotate slider to zero

Quote:
The cheap slider potentiometers in things like this are notorious for still having resistance even at the lower position (throttle 0) hence showing slight throttle.
Sometime, but I'm thinking there is problem with factory testing and calibration before delivering [/QUOTE]

I hope this will help to understand problem, I'm not sure if I am
nick007shadow is offline Find More Posts by nick007shadow
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:37 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnelson View Post
Also, has anybody ordered extra batteries and noticed that the extra batteries have a slightly different plastic top. I believe the stock batteries (I've forgotten which was which, sorry) have just a tad more plastic and what I'll call a collar around the lipo part of the battery. Where as the other batteries do not have this collar and it is simply the black plastic part with the 2 conductors. I've noticed the weight difference between the two is 0.2 grams, not much, but it does seem to affect my CoG every time I change batteries between the two types.

Really this doesn't matter that much to me, I was just curious if anybody else has noticed this. (I received all 4 batteries from rcmart btw, which I have to commend for their quick shipping)
SG, when you ordered the batteries (WL-V911-19) from MyRCMart, did you not order the batteries connector (WL-V911-18), what you called "collar"?

Check out my battery theory from post #193. It is still just a theory, because no one has confirmed or denied it. Perhaps you could finally try to confirm it for me.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
V911 Tail Motor shifting problem

I've attached a couple of photos of a problem I've forgotten to mention in my earlier post because the other items seem more critical at the time but now that I'm better able to get my V911 flying I'm trying to tackle the remaining issues.
You can see in the photos that the tail motor has a tendency to slide out of its mount. I assume it needs to be pushed in as far as it can go but during each flight it will start moving out of its holding socket.
Not sure if this is contributing to my shudder problem or my TBE problem. These problems seem to come and go and they are really bad at times and at other times, not noticeable very much.

I don't know if it is a good idea to put a drop of glue on it, so I'll wait for some potentially better suggestions from the experts here.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Bad TBE and ocassional shutter

My last two flights the TBE was so bad it was almost not flyable. Now that I've actually had several decent flights I can recognize more easily when things are very wrong and now things are very wrong. Not sure what changed but I'll fiddle with it and see if I get lucky.
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:34 AM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Quote:
I've attached a couple of photos of a problem I've forgotten to mention in my earlier post because the other items seem more critical at the time but now that I'm better able to get my V911 flying I'm trying to tackle the remaining issues.
You can see in the photos that the tail motor has a tendency to slide out of its mount. I assume it needs to be pushed in as far as it can go but during each flight it will start moving out of its holding socket.
Not sure if this is contributing to my shudder problem or my TBE problem. These problems seem to come and go and they are really bad at times and at other times, not noticeable very much.

I don't know if it is a good idea to put a drop of glue on it, so I'll wait for some potentially better suggestions from the experts here.
Put a little dab of hot glue on it. Hot glue so you will be able to get it loose later on if you need to..
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Quote:

My wires are going all around the frame so that's y it never come out
Ketan is offline Find More Posts by Ketan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
23 Posts
HeliPad, to try and answer your theory, I think you may be on to something. When I ordered the batteries I didn't order the battery holder, I didn't think it was necessary as I thought it was the battery holder that attached to the landing gear, now on closer inspection I see I was wrong. Unfortunately though, I don't have any NE solo batteries to test your theory with, but I do think you may be right. Hopefully somebody can better answer this question. Because the v911 has a little stop on the battery holder on the landing gear, the collar is not truly necessary, the battery can not go forward. I could be well wrong, but this feature almost seems like a last minute design change.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Somewhere in this thread, a few members have mentioned that a lot of the parts are glued ... probably including the tail motor. Apparently, either yours didn't have any glue from the factory, or it came loose.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
Quote:
HeliPad, to try and answer your theory, I think you may be on to something. When I ordered the batteries I didn't order the battery holder, I didn't think it was necessary as I thought it was the battery holder that attached to the landing gear, now on closer inspection I see I was wrong. Unfortunately though, I don't have any NE solo batteries to test your theory with, but I do think you may be right. Hopefully somebody can better answer this question. Because the v911 has a little stop on the battery holder on the landing gear, the collar is not truly necessary, the battery can not go forward. I could be well wrong, but this feature almost seems like a last minute design change.
Thanks, SG, for your feedback. I do feel pretty good about my theory. And if I was right, the batteries that you ordered are exact match to SP batteries. Compare them to the pictures I sent (for SP batteries) and see if they are the same. I think WL cloned most of the SP. They put the collar around the battery so that they make their battery holding skid and charger "special". But once you take the collar away, it is just a SP battery underneath.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 07, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
So the batteries that myrcmart is selling as spares for the V911 WILL work with the V911 without modification, but the theory is that with the "battery holder" one might be able to use Solo Pro batteries in the V911?
ryknoll3 is offline Find More Posts by ryknoll3