HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
Herndon, VA
Joined Oct 2005
1,458 Posts
Discussion
Female park fliers?

In another thread, someone was saying that his park-flying site often features several female pilots. This is something I've never heard of at an AMA field. In my entire life, I can't think of more than once that I have shared a field with a female pilot not brought by a male club member. Has anyone else experienced this at his (or her) park-flying site? If this is actually happening around the nation, the park-flying vs. club-flying debate ends right now.
RE
Edmonds is offline Find More Posts by Edmonds
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:27 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Yep, there's a plentiful bunch of female pilots out there, you just gotta dig for them
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:10 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Only 1 female pilot in my club right now,out of 100+ members, but we have had several others in the past 10 years or so. I had a couple of different women inquire about joining this past year, but neither of them has followed through yet. Our flying site in a large, heavily used, multi-sport complex means that we have a lot of spectators, and some of those join the club every year. A few years ago we had a family of 4, father, mother, teenage daughter and teenage son, all flying at the club nearly every weekend for a couple of years, and the mother was by far the best pilot of family. :-)
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:46 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
The field is where I meet all my women. It's better than the grocery section at Wal-mart.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:30 AM
Herndon, VA
Joined Oct 2005
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
The field is where I meet all my women. It's better than the grocery section at Wal-mart.

Frank
Wait a minute, I've been to your field. Actually, there were plenty of women, but I've never seen any of them fly.
RE
Edmonds is offline Find More Posts by Edmonds
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:37 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Although I was on Cloud 9, I tried flying a sleek park flyer in a strip club once but I was quickly rebuked and thrown out. My transmitter was a disgrace (only had $5 in my pocket) and I'm sure if I had had the new giga-standards in my hand—at least $500 cash—then I could have flown higher in great company. There would have been women everywhere. But who knows.

I returned to my local flying field and, as usual, there was only the occasional wife of some geezer club member waiting for him to finish. Nearly all ladies are ga-ga over my little Depron park flyer, though, but not one has ever had the emotional motivation to try flying it when actually I offer her the controls. It's sad.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Dec 10, 2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:51 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
The only female pilots ive ever seen where I fly are the Barbies that some guys put in the cockpits of the planes ! And sometimes they are rather , shall we say , underdressed for the occasion {not wearing any safety equipment } . But as far as any real life women , holding transmitters ? , Ive never seen it . Id like to though . Back about a million years ago when I was in A/P school there was one lady attending the school , but she didnt finish the course to get her A/P . At my club there are several wives who do hang around and watch , but I get the feeling those wives just like to be with their hubbys no matter what the hubby is doing , as in if the hubbys hobby was shooting , these wives would be hanging around the gun club with them . To them its not about airplanes . Oh , and by the way , Mrs init4fun is totally supportive of my hobby , to the point of buying and ordering planes for me , but she could care less about the planes herself . Happy Flying
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:11 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
Several years ago there were a few women flying formula one racers in competition. They were very good pilots and some flew in national competitions and did quite well.

One of our club instructors is girl. She is a very good instructor.

While not exactly plentiful--those in the hobby are usually very good pilots.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
I avoid the club near me, but there was a person I saw there once that I was told is probably female.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer View Post
I avoid the club near me, but there was a person I saw there once that I was told is probably female.
Ouch
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,206 Posts
Dundee figgered it out quite right.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:44 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
My two daughters, both very athletic, are into RC air.
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:43 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonds View Post
In another thread, someone was saying that his park-flying site often features several female pilots. This is something I've never heard of at an AMA field. In my entire life, I can't think of more than once that I have shared a field with a female pilot not brought by a male club member. Has anyone else experienced this at his (or her) park-flying site? If this is actually happening around the nation, the park-flying vs. club-flying debate ends right now.
RE
i and my bf are park fliers and get this, i'm the one who got HIM into the hobby! neither of us however, has any interest in joining the AMA or going to AMA only fields.
flygirl206 is offline Find More Posts by flygirl206
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
delete
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Last edited by StCalvin; Dec 12, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:20 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
Well I've never been to Spain.............

Actually she's in Switzerland here, but she's from Spain. Raquel that is.

Trex-700N Raquel Bellot (es) (8 min 43 sec)
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Dec 12, 2009 at 04:28 PM.