HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Discussion
Bungee Launcher

I'm sure this has been covered before but I posted a few picture of a launcher I built for my Panther and other EDF's. I received a PM about maybe posting construction and so on so If anyone's interested maybe we can get a thread going on these launchers. The design is pretty straightforward and I combined my ideas with a few others I've seen posted her and elsewhere. The first one has the foam over the PVC and a lower elevation. That one was OK. Then I ditched the foam and raised the elevation and that got me where I wanted to be. Everything I needed was at Home Depot which until this year was my choice for all my stuff but now that Tony Steward's got his own team feel free to shop wherever you like. At 90 feet were getting about 9 pounds of pull and it launches the 3 1/2 pound Panther off with gusto. I'll get pictures together and try and try to help out anyway I can on this. Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 10:39 AM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
590 Posts
I was wondering about the rubberbands that you get from physical theropy.would they work for these launch systems?
crtaylor is online now Find More Posts by crtaylor
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:27 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
I guess they would there are several alternatives. Someone (I cant remember where said the AC Hardware sold bungee by the foot that they used) What I used was 2- 10 ft. ( 20 bucks toatal) lengths of surgical tubing from Home Depot. I just got back from the field we did a little helicopter flying and tuning. I took some pictures of the launcher that I'll post later. I'll also get some pictures of the actual surgical tubing set up. Mike
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:23 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Everything I needed was at Home Depot which until this year was my choice for all my stuff but now that Tony Steward's got his own team feel free to shop wherever you like.
That's awesome! I love it. I feel the same way...had a soft spot for Home Depot till Smoke moved on...

big props to you Mike!
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Feb 05, 2009, 05:44 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Smoke and Ryan will be a contender this year but he really will miss Zippy and the guys from JGR. Ok here's a few pics of the launcher itself and I'm compiling a list of stuff you will need. I used 1 inch PVC you can get away with 3/4 but I built this to hold up under constant use by all that wanted to use it. Mike
Old Feb 05, 2009, 12:31 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
is there a minimum of tubing required for bungee launching?...just wondering if i can get away with stretching a 10' length of tubing to the required pull versus a 30' to the required pull...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Feb 05, 2009, 05:29 PM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
It comes in 10 foot lengths I don't think just one would do the job. I'll have some more pics and measurements up tomorrow. Mike
Old Feb 05, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
I'll try to explain this as best I can, so bear with me. The problem with a shorter bungee is that it doesn't have the pull duration needed. That is to say, the amount of pull on the airplane will taper off very quickly. With a longer bungee, the pull will last longer. Even if the weight of the pull is the same, say 30 lbs, the short bungee will run out of energy sooner. It may not have the pull duration to accelorate the mass of the plane to flying speed.

In other words: Say you were pushing a stalled car. You push it with 100 LBS of force for one second(short bungee). The car will slowly be moving forwards. Conversly, if you push it with the same 100 lb force for 5 seconds(long bungee), it will be moving faster when you're done. Make sense?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:29 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Thanks that makes more sense than anything I could have come up with. Please feel free to hang around and toss in anymore ideas you might have. Mike
Old Feb 06, 2009, 03:46 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Launch Rails

My rails are simple to make and importantly fold to almost nothing. The 1/4" sharpened rods push into the ground, and can be made to adjust the angle by pushing harder. Spacing is also adjustable. The rods are held in the holes by axle caps found on toys. I covered the 1/2" copper pipes with foam pipe insulation and put on a strip of aluminum tape. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
That's about as simple(and portable) as it gets, I like it What are you using as a release mechanism?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:24 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
That's pretty slick. Modelers are a pretty inventive bunch. Mike
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:31 AM
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,061 Posts
Here's some pictures of the bungee set up. I keep this thing at the field and left the mesurements I took out there. Its always something. I'll get them up here in a few days. Mike
Old Feb 07, 2009, 09:14 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Hey Sabrejock,
I built one of the PVC pipe ones a few years ago. But I really like
your idea better. It takes up less space and should be easy to set up
as long as the ground is not too hard to stick the ends into.

What do you do about the other end? Are there rods on it as well, or do they just lay on the ground?

Thanks for the idea.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Feb 07, 2009, 09:17 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I am going to make a couple of those, only use PVC instead of copper.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth