HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2005, 09:37 AM
fly high ,land well
Yateley ,England
Joined Jun 2004
932 Posts
correx to balsa

Hi all i`ve just got an F20 (as from canterbury sailplanes) and my pet hate is correx ,mainly because you can`t iron on any to it so i`m going to stick 1/25 balsa to it and cover because i still need the strength for those "special" landings so what glue to use? or does any one have a better idea ,many thanks
southern soarer uk is offline Find More Posts by southern soarer uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2005, 09:46 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
I hate the stuff too and just use balsa. That said, here's a link to a good thread about doing just what you are talking about...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110248
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:37 AM
fly high ,land well
Yateley ,England
Joined Jun 2004
932 Posts
thanks ITL i thought i`d seen it some where, the other strange thing they suggest is not rounding the bottom of the fuse and leave it flat surely it`s got to look better round? any thought`s?
southern soarer uk is offline Find More Posts by southern soarer uk
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:22 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern soarer uk
thanks ITL i thought i`d seen it some where, the other strange thing they suggest is not rounding the bottom of the fuse and leave it flat surely it`s got to look better round? any thought`s?
Maybe for strength? I'd burry a c/f tube the length of the fuse...ala a LEG kit. That was you can shape to your hearts content and not worry about strength issues.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Has the 3M77 held up over time? It seems overly simple yet some of the best ideas are. Please let me know as I have a tail group that is about ready to be constructed.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:03 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James
Has the 3M77 held up over time? It seems overly simple yet some of the best ideas are. Please let me know as I have a tail group that is about ready to be constructed.

RJ
If you use TFLG's method it won't really matter as the coroplast is surrounded/encased with the wood. In this case, the coro is trimmed back a bit from the intended final outline of the surface.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James

RJ
Yes, it holds up. i have coro/balsa/spruce tails that are about 2 years old, good as new, super strong and perfectly straight. Use 77 for the sheeting and pu for the le and tips. The pu will foam into the flutes and really make a strong bond.
I just picked up a half built CSD F-20 that I'm actually removing the glassed balsa tail feathers (too flimsy) and making new coro sandwich ones.
Here's a pic of my p-51 tail. 2 layers of 2mm coro, 1/16 balsa sheeting, spruce le's, tips and sub te.
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH