HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2014, 10:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Quadcopter NOOB any suggestions to help me

Hi my names Danny and I am new to the RC groups community. So sorry for the long bla bla.. But some good help would be much appreciated and any flaws / improvements would be great to know about!

I have a lot of experience with planes and fpv with planes, however I am relatively new to the multi rotor experience and wish to get some help from you guys.

This isnt my first quad but its very similar to my first. This is my 2nd quad:

Frame: Turnigy HAL heavy aerial lift
Motor: Turnigy d2830-11 1000kv ( too small ??)
ESC: Hobbyking 25-30A ( I think this is the culprit )
Props: Turnigy slow fly 9x4.7 ( Correct prop ????? )
Flight controller: Hobbyking KK2 board
Battery: Turnigy 2200mah 3 cell lipo

Additional details:
Hobbyking distribution board

Now... the problem

First 5 flights were o.k. I managed to dial it in quite nicely. However!
the speed controllers and motors were getting pretty warm, I could touch them for longer than 5 seconds but I was a bit concerned...

I wasn't happy with my flight time so I made up a parallel harness to hold two 2200mah 3 cell batteries ( Bought same time and both equally charged ).Whilst flying in this configuration about 3min into the flight I hear a CH-CH-CH sound.. I tried to land but bent one of the motor mounts.

I tear back the ESC and find that several transistors are "Bridged" together from the solder melting across the gaps. Obviously I probably went "cheap" when it came to the ESC side of things. What would you guys recommended in general for this setup. My Goal is to start fpv with quadcopters but before that I would like a satisfactory / safe system.

Thanks guys for your time and input and let me know what you think should be changed to make this better! Here are some Pics BEFORE the crash so you guys can see the system and not have to visualize it from the poorly provided information I gave.

Cheers,

Danny H from Brisbane, Queensland
(Darwin atm)
dannyfpv is offline Find More Posts by dannyfpv
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2014, 06:58 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
2,948 Posts
Danny I have a very similar set up to yours, but I am using 30A ESC's and a 3S1P 4000mAh battery and I have not had warm to the touch ESC's nor motors.

My props are of a different manufacturer (GemFan and balanced),, and I use a power break out cable/squid instead of a PDB, and these components should not be a factor either.

I think the ESC's are the major issue. Maybe the twin batteries in parallel may be a factor as well (I forget my grade school electronics studies, but doesn't amperage increase with parallel circuits while voltage stays constant?) I hope someone educated in this matter will post about this.

I have no problems with my setup which is very similar. ~11 minutes hover; ~ 7 minutes mixed flying.

Good luck.

JB
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old May 14, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I will most likely get new esc's as they seem to be the culprit.

What size props are you running?

I get about 6min flight time on my setup with a 2200mah battery before it falls out of the sky

As for the two batteries in parallel, (I'm only 19) I thought for batteries it only increases the capacity of the battery. So in theory I thought two 2200's in parallel is the same as one 4400mah battery - Somebody will have to clarify that.

Personally, if my theory about the batteries is correct ^^^^ I believe the extra weight of the two batteries in parallel caused the quad to draw more current to maintain a hover.

thanks for the input!
Old May 14, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,948 Posts
I am currently flying with 9X4.7. In the RCG HAL dedicated thread some owner/operators have used much larger prop sizes with success.

You are correct about increased weight increasing increased demand on motors, etc.

I am using Zippy 3S1P 4000mAh 25/35C batteries with my setup. They weigh 286 grams each.

PS: You are young . That is good. I am old (62) that is not so good , but I am very immature for my age that helps mitigate against aging
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbrumberg; May 14, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old May 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Thanks jbrumberg for the input.

May I mention the motors got warmish with just the 2200mah battery.

Do you think this is due to the esc's not being able to "deliver" the power the motor is asking for? - Resulting in heat in both ESC and motor.

I think I should invest in a Watt meter.. It will tell me some numbers.

Cheers,
Old May 14, 2014, 08:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,948 Posts
I admit to my lack of knowledge with the electronics, but the ESC's appear to be the problem with load demand causing more strain for the motors.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility