HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:37 AM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig View Post
There are no security issues. That is clearly b.s. What are they exactly? Prove it.

Tapatalk doesn't serve up rcg's advertising, plain and simple. I love tapatalk because I don't get nauseated when I see all the hbby kng ads. Therefore, it will no longer be supported. That is the only issue. I only enjoy reading here anymore, no desire to say much, but this will make it less fun. Wattflyer and helifreak still work with tapatalk at least.

There are no security issues. Rcg isn't protecting you from anything with this action.
This is exactly the reason why Tapatalk is not supported. No ads in Tapatalk, no ad revenue. This is it plain and simple. There is no security hole with Tapatalk. Its a plugin like the gallery here. Heck, that's a bigger security hole than Tapatalk since that writes to the sites back end database lol.

Anyways, its not my site, so if they decide to get rid of the plugin that is their decision. Its just backwards thinking when it comes to Web 3.0. I'm sure the people that use the full site normally are in the age bracket 40 and up. I did a survey recently for some sites I developed. The younger folks do most things with stand alone apps.
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:47 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas View Post
Nothing in particular. It says RCGroups is implementing customized behavior, which is their prerogative. That extra data is not part of the standard data stream.

You are able to view the prices using Tapatalk. You are not able to do it via RCGroups' own classic view.

True enough, but Classic view is more of a forum design decision and not about what browser or app is being used and how compatible it is or is not.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:22 AM
Israel, Bet Shemesh
Joined Apr 2013
59 Posts
As a tapatalk user (on an S2), what I like best is the notifications. Email notifications come once, but the tapatalk ones update, letting me easily see what's new with my subscribed threads.
mikeage is offline Find More Posts by mikeage
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:51 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeage View Post
As a tapatalk user (on an S2), what I like best is the notifications. Email notifications come once, but the tapatalk ones update, letting me easily see what's new with my subscribed threads.
Interesting, they no longer work for me. I bet the iOS version is broken since I see you are on Android.
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:29 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
All of my photo uploads and the majority of my posting/browsing here is done via tapatalk. The mobile version of this site stinks, IMO, and tapatalk handles images so much better. They can do whatever they want, but my browsing and posting will be drastically reduced if I can't access RCG via tapatalk. And I also agree that the decision is based purely on ad revenue. A lot of forums that have much higher security concerns than RCG use tapatalk.
+1 on everything you said there mate, and for the audience at home, guess what I'm using to write this post.....
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:06 AM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
353 Posts
How about the admin/developers or whatever only allow tapatalk to be used by plus members.

If you think about it the site needs money to stay alive. So why should the admin/developers waste time, effort, and money on something that does not contribute money to th site.

So if we were to pay the site to be able to be use tapatalk the admin/developers would back it 101%

Also as admin Jim said in a post regarding another thread asking as to what tapatalk offers that their website browsing doesn't..

1. It's doesn't have ads. It's 2014 nobody clicks on ads anymore.

2. It's a whole lot easier to browse than the complicated website. Nobody wants to scroll all the way down to other sections.

3. It's data friendly. It won't chug on your internet.

4. Because most of us are not lazy fat bums who sit around a computer. If this were true then there wouldn't be a need for tapatalk. Lots of us are always busy working, commuting, etc. So an on-the-go app is very useful.

5. The mobile site is still as bulky as the full version. Scrolling a mile down to the cars section or classifieds is a bit too much

6. Notifications!

Also the rcg plus membership seems a bit too much. $4.95 a month? There are other high end websites that offer their "plus" memberships that less for that. I can understand the donating and free shirt part but other than that it's seems like eyecandy for a profile just for looks. I wouldn't mind paying but 50 bucks for a shirts and skin on my posts...
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Last edited by Barracuz; Mar 14, 2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Woops looks like I broke a rule... +1 point for me!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:54 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
RCGroups is banning Tapatalk!

See this is what I like about RCG, like-minded people.
I kind of need the plus to have a bigger inbox. As I'm primarily a Tapatalk user, I don't see, need or use the banners on people's posts. Don't need another T-shirt, I have far too many T-shirts. I would consider getting plus but you're right given the above $4.95 a month is a little too much, for my needs and budget at least. That would be about $60 a year which is about 40, that's a days wage to me and I'm not that well off.

Maybe there should three levels of membership:

Standard, what you get when you register (what I have now).

Extra, standard plus 500 (or 1000) inbox spaces, and Tapatalk support for $2.00 or $2.50 a month, no banners (ok maybe something to say a member is on extra to make people aware there is another level), no t-shirt.

Plus, as per the current plus terms with Tapatalk support.

I would be perfectly happy with the "Extra" membership fee.

Failing that they could speak to Tapatalk about flashing up a full screen advert for 5 seconds each time I open a thread to view it, I could suffer that for the benefits that Tapatalk provides.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:56 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,277 Posts
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your feedback and responses about Tapatalk. We're keeping it around for a little while longer. The RCG Techs will be working though on improving the mobile version of the site to make it a better experience for our users.
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Jun 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:51 PM
Re-kitting planes since 1990
Australia, WA, Beldon
Joined Jun 2013
1,225 Posts
Thanks Jason, I'm glad that you guys have listened to our concerns!
nebbian is online now Find More Posts by nebbian
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:41 PM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
1,632 Posts
Jason,

Thank you for listening and taking the feedback seriously. The way you listen and continue dialog with your users say a lot about RCGroups. I really appreciate your decision and your team.
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:32 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
494 Posts
Agreed, thank you guys for taking a considered approach. Very much appreciate the communication.

-John
jbarnhardt is offline Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:54 AM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your feedback and responses about Tapatalk. We're keeping it around for a little while longer. The RCG Techs will be working though on improving the mobile version of the site to make it a better experience for our users.
Thank you Admin!! We all really appreciate the decision!
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:29 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Hey Everyone,
Nice that you and the techs listened. Thanks Jason.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740