SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Beginner RC Boat Advice

So I've been looking to get my 10yr old son a boat for Christmas and have really been looking towards the atomik brand. Mainly the barbwire and whiplash also looking at the proboat shockwave v3. They all look so close in price, any general recomendations from everyone? Any other boat brands or models I should consider? Thanks in advance everyone!
exilepa is offline Find More Posts by exilepa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:13 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,273 Posts
Plenty of things to consider here... for the Barbwire.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1861058

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:43 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Without a doubt, the BarbWire!!! It is a way fun little boat, nearly IMPOSSIBLE to screw up, and it comes complete with almost no assembly required; just charge the batterys, put 'em in the boat (and some AAs for the radio) and you're on the water having fun. They are just about the most fun boat I have ever had.

If you worry that the boat is a bit fast, you can always downsize the prop pitch and that will cut the boat speed.

If there are any issues, my experience with the company, Atomik RC via email and the thread here on RCG has been second, literally, to none.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

One quick note, get rid of the battery charger that comes with the BarbWire, get a spare LiPo battery or two, a fireproof charging bag*, and get a balancing charger that can handle all the common LiPo, Nickel Metal Hydride, and the sealed or wet-lead battery sizes found in model boats. It's a good long term investment because your batteries will last longer. I got a Great Planes Triton2EQ because I could use it to charge and discharge all the different batters I have accumulated and keep them fit for the long term. Atomik RC also makes chargers.

*LiPos can catch fire! I always charge mine on a fireproof pot like an old vitrified clay pickling pot or a large, thick-walled flowerpot on a couple of bricks for a base. Also, do it outside, LiPos really stink and are not good to breathe when they go super-critical and pop-off!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 11, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the whiplash or barbwire. I really really like the self righting of the barbwire but just wish it were a little bigger to give that "wow" factor on Christmas morning ;-)

Anybody have any thoughts on the Aquacraft Revolt 30 tower hobbies has on sale today for $219? Thinking it might be a good boat for dad to try out? Lol
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2013
104 Posts
Barbwire is pretty fast for a 10 year old. I would suggest supervising big time, and take care of the Lipos, as mentioned above they CAN burn down your house if not taken care of. Barbwire requires maintenance also. Shaft lube, bearing, making sure the cooling tube is flowing etc.

Another alternative that is alot less maintenance free and cheaper is the new FT009, might be a better starter boat. Little slower then Barbwre but still is fun with self righting

http://www.banggood.com/Feilun-FT009...-p-906673.html

BTW most boats are for 14+. The FT009 also has a safety that the prop will not turn on unless in water. Something to think about
CWBETB is offline Find More Posts by CWBETB
Last edited by CWBETB; Dec 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Since you are new to the hobby may I also suggest that you make it a family policy that no one in the family swims out to retrieve a stalled boat. And if you get in to a boat/canoe/kayak to go get the stalled boat you wear a life jacket fully buckled up so it will do its job.

Every year on these threads we read about a family who has lost someone because of the excitement of the moment they forgot to take the smallest of safety precautions.

Good luck with the buy and have lots of fun with your son!
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWBETB View Post
Barbwire is pretty fast for a 10 year old. I would suggest supervising big time, and take care of the Lipos, as mentioned above they CAN burn down your house if not taken care of. Barbwire requires maintenance also. Shaft lube, bearing, making sure the cooling tube is flowing etc.

Another alternative that is alot less maintenance free and cheaper is the new FT009, might be a better starter boat. Little slower then Barbwre but still is fun with self righting

We've been in the RC car hobby for a little while. Thankfully I've never experienced what you have mentioned with the lipos! I'll definitely take caution with them going forward. Any kind of normal lubes (lithium grease, etc) that is generally accepted as working well instead of shelling out lots of $ for the hobby store stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski View Post
Since you are new to the hobby may I also suggest that you make it a family policy that no one in the family swims out to retrieve a stalled boat. And if you get in to a boat/canoe/kayak to go get the stalled boat you wear a life jacket fully buckled up so it will do its job.

Every year on these threads we read about a family who has lost someone because of the excitement of the moment they forgot to take the smallest of safety precautions.

Oh it will definitely be a policy and a hard rule. No RC toy is worth your life!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
The Revolt 30 is actually $194 till Sunday if you also apply the 014BD coupon for purchases over $200.
romanjr is offline Find More Posts by romanjr
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWBETB View Post

We've been in the RC car hobby for a little while. Thankfully I've never experienced what you have mentioned with the lipos! I'll definitely take caution with them going forward. Any kind of normal lubes (lithium grease, etc) that is generally accepted as working well instead of shelling out lots of $ for the hobby store stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski View Post

Oh it will definitely be a policy and a hard rule. No RC toy is worth your life!