SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:37 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
304 Posts
Discussion
Running water detector

I have an experimental running water detector.....
How many times have you have you had your comode running and waisting water, because another member of household is hard of hearing this sound and is not aware .....

This uses a piezo pick up for a contact mic.. The LM386 is used as a high gain amp [pin 1 100uf and 5-15 ohm] the lower the ohms the higher the gain.
Right now 15 ohms seems about right..

This current circuit will detect lightly touching and sliding your finger on bench where contact mic is laying 10 inch's + from pickup...

Was considering using LM386 and a pic,, may eventually do that.
I am planning to have a visual display near TV ..

Feel free to comment....+/-
xtal is offline Find More Posts by xtal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:59 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,043 Posts
Might find a use in fishtanks
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:50 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
304 Posts
revised schematic

more reliable circuit
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
304 Posts
constructed and working

made a pcb and constructed circuit and have it installed and working...

Its working very good... It detects toilets filling...It does maybe needs sensitivity cranked more,, but if there is no turbulance in the running water I may not be able to detect it......

attached is current circuit, pcb layout, control box
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
599 Posts
That's nice! We install water detectors on residential alarm systems it runs on the alarm 12vdc and trips an empty zone. It has a water sensor of some sort on a long wire and the controller box that runs off the alarm sys.
superinstaller is online now Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
304 Posts
I assume you are reffering to leak detectors, I have a couple of old RS units, but don't have them in use,, fortunately there is sombody home 95% of the time..

Over the years I've paid for a lot of wasted water because of toilet running and who knows how much injury to my septic system/field lines.

The running water detector still needs a little more tweeking.. Random floor sound will sometimes trigger on for a couple of seconds and also the pooch running at certain speed, that's the intent of the noise 1shot..

thx for the reply
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
599 Posts
Seems like a DIY flow detector might work, as long as the flow is strong enough to push a mechanical vane. My issue is the kids that walk around the house flipping lights on as they walk around maybe converting them all to z wave and shutting them off with a tablet!
superinstaller is online now Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:42 PM
McDonough, Georgia USA
Joined Feb 2005
304 Posts
Still working good..... I did lower change the 1shot to about 16ms , ringing telephone was turning on light,, I now need to increase the gain more..

It's working resonably good considering the piezo mic is attached to the metal can which is attached to the copper water pipe....

My next version will have trim-pots and I will attempt to use differential contact mic, and attach directly to water pipe....

Still cannot detect 1/4" flow from kitchen sink...
Old Nov 24, 2013, 05:17 AM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Brilliant circuit, I've just build mine and it detects a toilet flushing. I was thinking of connecting some kind of relay or transistor circuit to send a wireless transmission to a control box in the house, as the water detector will be connected to the incoming main water supply in the street. Problem is, I don't know enough about electronics, I've tried connecting the output of pin 13 of the LM339 to a 555 to drive a relay as in this website http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/driving-a-relay.html. It sorts of work, but it seems to pull the detection circuit high or triggered all the time. Any other suggestions of how I can do this please. The relay will basically supply 9 volts to a remote control that has been wired to be transmitting all the time, So when water running is detected, the relay will activate, supplying power to the transmitter and in turn trigger a LED on the receiver. What about a opto-coupler? Connect that in place of the LED that detects the running water? Will that work?
esawyja is offline Find More Posts by esawyja
Last edited by esawyja; Nov 25, 2013 at 07:44 AM.