SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
how do you make motor mounts?

i usually either hot glue my motors to the foam directly or use double sided stick tape.

they both come undone when im flying if the motor gets too hot. its annoying and i dont have access to plywood so im just asking what you guys do.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
379 Posts
heres how I learned to do it. (mount part start at 7:55)
Rc-Help Trainer Build Pt. 3 Building The Fuselage (11 min 22 sec)
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
If you have a friend who's having his floor fitted with laminate or parquee ... ask him for offcuts ... that solves the plywood lack of ... laminate / parquee is more than strong enough .. and lighter than most ply.

Circular mount plates ... I use a Hole Saw of required size ... this gives also a central hole that allows cooling air behind OR you can glue a dowel through and into the structure to strengthen the fixture.

I like drilling through mount plate with small drill and then bamboo lengths glued through and into structure ... this adds considerable to the fixture.

Another way is to cut slots into the edge and glue spars into the slots running back into the structure.

The main point is to increase the glued area and into the structure. Personally I prefer 5 min Epoxy for such as then motor heat won't unglue the mount.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
I also do a lot of circular motor mounts that I cut out with a hole saw. See if there is a local plastic shop near you. A lot of small plastic shops have a scrap bin. I use a lot of 2-3mm thick ABS. Its light, takes a beating and can be gotten easily. I use gorilla glue on my mountings. Its great for a lot of the designs I work with since there isnt always a perfictly smooth surface to mount to, the foaming nature of the GG takes car of that issue
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:10 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
Sometimes glue 2 squares of Western Red Cedar (10 mm sq) to the fuselage insides and mount the motor on a CD (cut to the required size). This is then screwed to the WRC mounts. Sometimes wired to the back of the WRC so in a bad crash the wire might straighten and the motor be released (further) into the fuselage (shock absorbing sort of), the CD plastic being mounted at the back of the WRC bars. This of course on a tractor mount so the CD pushes against the bars.

Other times it is a plywood firewall glued to the sides.

On the F-241 it was a CD with the motor screwed to it and all mounted on to the aft end of the fuselage, the mounting screws being long PK types and going into the foam.

A CD's plastic is amazingly strong.

Warning - don't try to play the CD after mounting
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:14 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
I normally use ply or old plastic cards (eg; credit cards, phone cards, etc etc) or where possible the stick mounts. I cut the ply/plastic to a square or circle little larger than the mounting diameter of the motor. Drill a hole in the center and use wood tapping screws (or ones that come with the motor) to secure the motor on. The whole thing is then epoxied to a matching sized foam piece and glued to the plane. If I need any offset for thrust, I just add washers between the motor and firewall (mount).

Motors do get hot and can even melt hot glue. Plywood is the best where I can use some.
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:28 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,040 Posts
I should have mentioned the WRC pieces are sticks (mounted vertically or near vert) as long as possible and 10 mm square. One to each side of the fuselage. On the other hand they could go across the fuselage if it warranted it.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:35 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
thanks for your responses, i have found my own way which seems to be working pretty good.

a plastic square cut out from a coke bottle

CA it to packaging cardboard

hotglue the cardboard to depron

drill in the screws for the motor

done
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:36 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
perhaps il just make myself some plywood squares in woodwork this year.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:03 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
We’ve been using the “chopstick” motor mount for years .... strong , light and reinforces the nose of the aircraft .
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
We’ve been using the “chopstick” motor mount for years .... strong , light and reinforces the nose of the aircraft .
nice, whered ya buy that?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:44 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
525 Posts
If you don't have access to ply then credit card and store card material makes a good substitute.
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:34 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
You can also use the top of a coke bottle and the cap to make a removable mount . Great if your short on electronics and need to swap between planes
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
You can also use the top of a coke bottle and the cap to make a removable mount . Great if your short on electronics and need to swap between planes
i like that one!
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne