HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:43 AM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
619 Posts
Yep, that's a lot of travel!! Looks like a 3D F3J!!!
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:41 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,360 Posts
It really isn't that much travel. You're just seeing me go from full deflection to full deflection. But what I wanted you guys to see was the amount of inboard and flap mixed in to roll control. The interesting thing to me is how little rudder coupling is required to keep it tracking well, and how little diff I'm running.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2008
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
If I ever would need to get the servo out, I can heat up the coupler with a soldering iron, slide it off the spline, and pop the servo out. Notice I don't use much 5 minute.
Not sure if you could make this stuff work, but "electrically disbonding eopxy" seems to good to pass up ... it could potentially make one's life easier ...

http://www.eiclabs.com/ERhome.htm
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
36 Posts
Looks like its it target to be another good one from Daryl
bendix1 is offline Find More Posts by bendix1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Feb 2011
80 Posts
Quote:
It really isn't that much travel. You're just seeing me go from full deflection to full deflection. But what I wanted you guys to see was the amount of inboard and flap mixed in to roll control. The interesting thing to me is how little rudder coupling is required to keep it tracking well, and how little diff I'm running.

It's almost like warping the whole trailing edge ..

Were there any studies on efficiency ?

Snap flap looks good too
Kwanyinn is online now Find More Posts by Kwanyinn
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:09 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
611 Posts
...makes me think about putting 6 servos in my Muller Escape!? ...teach an old dog new tricks? I wonder why the move back to 6 servos?

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:21 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,563 Posts
It matches the polyhedral wing breaks...

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
224 Posts
Butterfly

Daryl,

How do you manage Butterfly with 6 wing servos? I assume the mid-aileron/flap has a psychological conflict.
franpr is offline Find More Posts by franpr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,360 Posts
Jimn8,

The Muller Escape was done that way with a different thought process in mind. If I remember correctly, the recommendation was to use ONLY the outboard ailerons for roll while in thermal mode. Yeah... no. That wouldn't be my suggestion.

The increased efficiency in inducing roll is a secondary benefit of the Vixen 6 servo wing, and was not what I designed it for. No, I don't know how much more efficient the proper set up with this model would be at inducing roll than say our typical 4 servo wings. Again, that's not what I was chasing, although my thumbs are telling me that it does help somewhat. I trust my thumbs....

The reasoning behind the six servo wing was, quite frankly, for landing and landing timing. The games that can be played with the inboard ailerons to create a more lifty wing while slow is quite fun.

I know... I know... more videos.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:07 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,456 Posts
Quote:

I know... I know... more videos.
Knowing is half the battle.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:35 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
611 Posts
Thanks DP...thought I might be leaving a bit on the table taping off that outer aileron instead of using another servo. Real curious to see more about the Vixen and specifically how that works for you on landings. I bet that Vtail gives you plenty of authority on approach. Thanks for the efforts!

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2005
224 Posts
Butterfly

Daryl,

In your trailing edge video you almost showed all configurations but butterfly. I would like to see what is more effective in this case, as the tip aileron is big enough, are you using the mid ail/flap as aileron or flap for butterfly?
franpr is offline Find More Posts by franpr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franpr View Post
Daryl,

In your trailing edge video you almost showed all configurations but butterfly. I would like to see what is more effective in this case, as the tip aileron is big enough, are you using the mid ail/flap as aileron or flap for butterfly?
I'll try to get a video next time I get out and fly. Sunday looks flyable, maybe.

I'm using the inboard aileron as a flap for brakes, but still has full roll control. It follows the flap for maybe the first 30% or 40% of stick movement, then stops coming down. I'm probably stopping it at about 25 or 30 degrees. I'm always preparing for a contest somewhere, so I don't like to make big changes in set up. But after PHX, I'll play with bringing them down slower maybe to 15 degrees or so, then pulling them down hard for brakes closer to the end of flap movement. Anybody who knows me knows that I rarely use full flaps. But I've been thinking about it, and that makes more sense to me than what I've been doing. This model slows down unbelievably well in any case.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:35 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
371 Posts
D

I have a question-can you program the radio to make the entire trailing edge to have a "wave" run down and back? Now THAT would be cool.

Bri
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:41 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,383 Posts
Nice work DP. Beautiful design
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span