HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Found old plane. What is it?

Hello all! Got this old model airplane with gasoline engine. Engine is marked "K&B" and "Made In USA". Plane itself has no markings. Plane is 4 feet long with 48" wing length. I'm sure it needs repairs of some sort, though I don't know anything about these things. Just curious to know what this thing is, how old it is, and its approximate value. See pics and please let me know what I got here.
Silvertone is offline Find More Posts by Silvertone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,429 Posts
I think it was called a Kombat Airmadillo...

http://kombat40.50megs.com/
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
I gave an Airmadillo away a couple years ago. That's what they are worth.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
They fly pretty good, (depends on who you talk to about that though), I still have two of them that I still fly, especially when the flying field is crowded. No one messes with you in the air with them. They do well on windy days as there is less side area to have them turn into the wind on you. They are also, just about indestructable too. I had a wing bolt break on the twin Airmadillo and it twisted the wing rendering the ailerons almost useless, I almost make it back to land but it stalled and went in hard nose first. I straightened out the fuse and had it flying again in no time at all. The twin also had a couple of mid airs before and it ate the other planes and didn't even break a prop either. The single engine plane went in hard on take off when I screwed up and had the airlerons hooked up in reverse. It broke the needle valve off on the engine, but once I fixed that, the plane was ready to fly again.

Now the wing loading is higher and if you come in dead stick you need to come in faster as they tend to lose lift without the engine running.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
I took some pics of the layout for the servos and stuff. You use a fuel tank with the top cut off to stuff the RX and battery pack into.
The velcro strap is just there to keep the aileron pushrods together until I bolt on the wing.
The front two servos are the throttle and ailerons. The rear two servos are the rudder and elevator.
Each pair of servos is stuck together using double sided sticky foam tape. You then use a little sticky tape on them so they don't directly touch the metal frame, and use cable ties to mount the servos into the fuselage.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
Oh yeah, it is not a gasoline engine but a glow engine. But it looks like you have a old beat up and abused K&B Sportster .45 glow engine on the front of the plane. Fortunately, if you are lucky, the insides are still OK, as it is a bushed crankshaft engine and doesn't have ball bearings to go bad. So it might be useable. But its hard to tell for sure from the pics. Someone appears to have used J&B Weld Epoxy or Bondo to affix a old OS muffler to the engine. I would leave the muffler attached and not disturb it, otherwise you will have to do something about reattaching or replacing the muffler then. Oil up the engine with light oil, say WD-40 or something, and if it is stuck, applu hear to it too. You can remove the engine, and pull the backplate off to help get oil inside and maybe the head too. Oil up the rusted crank end too. The front rusted threaded part of the crankshaft can be replaced with a new one from MECOA if you need to. There is a thin steel washer called a prop driver shim that is right behind the prop driver and it looks rusted too.
https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=159
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Now that is a neat plane! I'd pick one of those up in a second if they were still available. It'd probably get some of the older members out at the field talking and rolling their eyes.

Reminds me of a little version of the "crutch" plane a friend of mine built out of an actual pair of aluminum crutches. Long and big but was always the talk of the field at any fun fly.
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:15 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
Yeah I hated it when their factory got blown away with Hurricane Katrina several years ago. They never restarted after that. I wanted to get the Big Kruiser or Big Mama and also the Kombat Kopter too. But they were out of business by then. Always my luck with things like this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
And in the condition the OP is showing, it is worth about the price of the post!
Most profile planes have very little resale value, even nice ones like the fun 51s unless they have a good engine and servos installed.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Thank you, guys!

Yeah, I didn't think it was worth a fortune, but at least I now know what it is. Just put it up on Craigslist. Maybe some of you guys who fly these things at Floyd Bennett Field here in Brooklyn can use it for parts or whatever.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/tag/3146198826.html

Thanks again!
Silvertone is offline Find More Posts by Silvertone
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,594 Posts
Like that twin earl looks like the surfaces are corrugated stuff ? I remember a trainer kit at TAM's that was entirely made of that material, all in American colours, wished I had bought it, the entire plane just like folded together. If there's one for sale I'll gladly buy it. Man you do have quite a fleet !
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Like that twin earl looks like the surfaces are corrugated stuff ? I remember a trainer kit at TAM's that was entirely made of that material, all in American colours, wished I had bought it, the entire plane just like folded together. If there's one for sale I'll gladly buy it. Man you do have quite a fleet !

You talking about this thing? If so, don't get too stuck on wishing you had one... I flew one years ago and it was an absolute pig. Yes it was durable, but it weighed almost 7 lbs and it was only a .40!
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Caution

The link in post #2 triggered my virus software saying a trojan had been detected.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:54 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Yes it is that corrugated plastic like stuff that looks similar to corrugated cardboard. They call it corroplast here. US Aircore used to make and sell airplane kits using corroplast. The Airplane factory used the more thick coroplast and US Aircore used the more thin sheets. Their trainer planes were quite popular at the time as they were extremely tough, which is great for beginners learning to fly. I still have a US Aircore low wing .40 size plane kit I haven't built up yet. Red, white and blue where the colors they used in the plane kits too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:31 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post

You talking about this thing? If so, don't get too stuck on wishing you had one... I flew one years ago and it was an absolute pig. Yes it was durable, but it weighed almost 7 lbs and it was only a .40!

I don't remember them being that way. I helped several people learn to fly and solo their planes with those US Aircore trainers. But it had been quite a while maybe my memory is faulty.
RCG Plus Member