HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:26 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Discussion
Frank Z. Jasco Thermic 100

Whilst Looking for a short kit that would fit the Cleveland Air Line Senior Playboy plans I ordered about a week ago, it came to my attention that Mr Bob Holman has several short kits for some of my (our?) very favorite Jetco/Jasco Thermic series Kits. .....

He has the Thermic 50 that I learned to fly tow-line with back in the ill-spent days of my youth, & when I am feeling rich, as in $100 rich, I'll go for his Thermic 100 (plans,$25, Parts,$75).

If anyone out there wants to surf his site, its; www.bhplans.com

Merry Christmas, Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Last edited by Laramie; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Now he tells me! .....

..... naw, that's cool, planeman, Its greatly appriciated!

I went ahead & bought the Senior Playboy plane from Cleveland 'cause they were on sale, & as someone pointed out, anything from Cleveland is worth framing & hanging on the wall .....

Your plans are free, & I thank you very much for posting them here. In the long wet, cold & windy months to come, no doubt I'll be off to Kinkos to print at least 1 of them.

I'll try to do a build thread too.

Last edited by Laramie; Dec 17, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling, as usuall!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:43 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,002 Posts
Beautiful, planeman. Was the Thermic 100 also published in a full-fuselage version?
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:03 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Very nice sailplanes! I really want to print out one of them, and try scratch build for the first time. But I must admit that it have been nice to have someone to laser cut some of the parts.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Norway is quite far .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
Very nice sailplanes! I really want to print out one of them, and try scratch build for the first time. But I must admit that it have been nice to have someone to laser cut some of the parts.
But if its on his list, I'll personally go see him and ask for you ... www.bhplans.com ... I have to see him anyway to see about my parts, that are on his list of short kits. You know, All of his kit-plan sets I have gotten from him have been exelent, by the way.

The one of his Im looking at now, the Thermic 100 is $100, plan, 25 short kit,75.

Its great having him living & working so close here

Laramie.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Beautiful, planeman. Was the Thermic 100 also published in a full-fuselage version?
I am not aware of it. Could be though.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:10 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
If you can build from a kit Arne you can build from scratch. All you need is a decent balsa stripper and some single-edge razor blades. You don't need any laser cut stuff. here is the process:

If you have a .PDF plan file, take it to a blueprint place like architects and engineers use. They can print out the plan full size. Then have them print out a second copy which you will use to cut out the parts on the plan and then paste them onto the proper thickness balsa sheet making sure the wood grain is running in the correct direction. For paste use one of the "glue sticks" you can buy at an office supply store. Use a sharp razor blade to cut through the pasted down paper pattern and the balsa sheet. Use a piece of sandpaper glued to a stick to sand down the edges of the cut out part. Then just peel off the paper patter and you have a nice part ready to glue in place. If the paste doesn't want to release, just spread some alcohol on the top of the paper pattern and that will dissolve the paste.

Use the balsa stripper to strip the balsa sticks from sheet balsa. It is quick and simple. Personally, I enjoy the building process and don't mind cutting out the parts.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
What Planeman said .....

I too enjoy the building prosses, & far prefer to cut my own strip-wood, as this way your spars & longerons balance far better. That being said, given the quality of these new-fangled lazer cutters & computers, it's hard to equal the quality of "store bought" ribs or formers.

That's why I might buy a short-kit from Mr. Bob Holman for my Cleveland Playboy Senior, & I will buy a reproduction Jasco Thermic or two soon.

I grew up on print-wood & die-crushed kits, always prefering the print-wood & scratch.

Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Update ...

... I started this thread last Christmas, more or less, fast forward to now.

I got the Cleveland plans, & shortly after, started the build (Playboy Sr.). The build is going well, & there's a build log on this forum on it.

As for the The Frank Z. Thermic build, it's still on my "to do list", & after framing up the Playboy Sr. I'm thinking more like a nice smaller Thermic, like the Thermic 50. I built one of those back in the mid 60's that flew so well I finally lost it O.O.S.. With today's mini R/C equipment, It would be a lot of fun.

Laramie.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
610 Posts
Thernic 100 post-war

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
I have been trying to find a plan for the 1946 full-fuselage, built-up, cabin version of the Thermic 100. Supposedly the only difference is the fuselage, the flying surfaces being the same. Haven't found it free online. Have tried 3 places that used to have it or be in business, but no replies. Have even seen a very small low-res version of the plan, but a high-res version wasn't available or it was too much bother to rescan.

Let me/us know if you have a source for this.

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
518 Posts
Thermic 100 post-war

Scott-

I built a full-fuselage Thermic 100 in 2006 from a short kit that's no longer available. The fuselage and wing plans didn't match, so presumably they came from different sources. The wing plan is identical to the pod & boom Thermic 100 (see Planeman's 2nd plan above) and the fuselage is identical (except wood sizes) to the full-fuselage Thermic 70, which is Planeman's 5th plan above which is my scan from the 1946 Air Trails Annual. The fuselage plan in my kit wasn't properly scaled, gave an overall length of just 45" vs the correct 49.5" and gave me grief.

I suggest you use the Thermic 100 P&B wing plan and properly scaled-up Thermic 70 full fuselage. The fuselage will need mods to add motor & RC gear, if desired. I used a HiMax 2812-850 motor, 3S2000 LiPo, 9x6 folding prop, and HS-81 servos for Rud, Elev, & Spoilers for an AUW of 30.5oz. I used 1/4"sq main longerons and uprights, 3/16"sq top & bottom keels, 1/8x1/4 stringers and built a battery hatch in the fuse top from the spinner to wing.

I'll attach the 70" plan scaled up to 100" (gives length of 49.5") and a couple photos of my Thermic 100.

-Dave (djp)
DPlumpe is online now Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Last edited by DPlumpe; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
610 Posts
Dave -
Thanks for the info on the fuselage. I did finally find 2 sources for the 1946 fuselage. I will see how they compare to the scaled-up Thermic 70 fuselage. I thought they looked similar.
I will most likely build a pod-and-boom for the 100 or 72, but really like the full fuselage better-maybe due to building Thermic 50's way back in the 60's (doesn't seem that long ago).

Scott
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:13 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
518 Posts
Scott-

If you come up with a plan that you feel better reflects the full-fuselage Thermic 100, please share or tell us the source.

-Dave
DPlumpe is online now Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:02 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
610 Posts
Dave,
A question on decalage (wing and stab incidence angles) while I am waiting for the Thermic 100 full-fuselage plans:

compared to modern RC gliders, the wing and tail incidence angles, as well as the lifting stab, are way different
Did you use the incidences as shown on the original plans?
Did you balance according to the original plans?
I ask because a friend built a Thermic 72, stock, for RC and could hardly fly it at first--needed full down stick. He shimmed the TE up 3/16" and said it flew fine. Of course I haven't found out yet where he balanced the thing.

Scott

PS: Yes, I will post the full-fuselage plan here when I get it.