HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer95 View Post
I think many go for 8s because they already have 4s packs for the smaller planes and just do them in series. Higher voltage usually means better efficienty but in case of serial packs it also usually means more weight and complexity.
If the weight is really needed to balance the plane then the heavier A60-5S on 7-8s should do better and be more efficient at the same power output otherwise the lighter A60-6XS on 6s 5000mah gives a lighter and more forgiving plane for 3D.
Right, I guess if I had any existing 4S packs in the right size, that would make the choice much easier. But I have no existing batteries to use so I'll be buying new ones regardless.

How do the thrusts compare between an 8S and 6S setup, assuming a 19" prop on 8S and a 21" prop on 6S? Are they about the same? I mean the peak wattage of both the A60-5S and A60-6XS is about the same (around 2500W), though I imagine that the actual thrusts could be quite different since they spin different props and operate at different RPMs.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
I use silicone spray. works awesome.
Does dirt and debris stick to the silicone?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Talcum powder also works nicely, and nothing sticks to it....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Elevator and H-stab upside down????
I know, I saw it after I took the photo. I'm going to leave it that way, it's symmetrical so it won't effect the flying. this is what happens when you work late into the night. lol. I'll put some vinyl on it, and it will look better.
rogersrick123 is offline Find More Posts by rogersrick123
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersrick123 View Post
I know, I saw it after I took the photo. I'm going to leave it that way, it's symmetrical so it won't effect the flying. this is what happens when you work late into the night. lol. I'll put some vinyl on it, and it will look better.
You're only issue will be having to cut slots on the other side of the elevator for the horn, but that should be easy.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Sweden, ┼kersberga
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
Right, I guess if I had any existing 4S packs in the right size, that would make the choice much easier. But I have no existing batteries to use so I'll be buying new ones regardless.

How do the thrusts compare between an 8S and 6S setup, assuming a 19" prop on 8S and a 21" prop on 6S? Are they about the same? I mean the peak wattage of both the A60-5S and A60-6XS is about the same (around 2500W), though I imagine that the actual thrusts could be quite different since they spin different props and operate at different RPMs.
The best secret for easier 3D is to keep them light If the CG do I would shoot for 2300watt, 6s and the lighter A60-6xs as my first choice to save weight.
A larger prop. spinning slower is more efficient, and more quiet.....
Hacker A60-5s is a different animal, not a comparable motor as beside the KV different it weights more
Flyer95 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer95
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
The best secret for easier 3D is to keep them light If the CG do I would shoot for 2300watt, 6s and the lighter A60-6xs as my first choice to save weight.
Hacker A60-5s is a different animal, not a comparable motor as beside the KV different it weights more
Yes the A60-5S weighs more, but as most 74" Edges come out tail heavy, the larger motor helps to balance it....as I have said....My 74" with the A60-5S, a Castle ESC100, a BEC Pro, two X 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs all the way against the firewall and a 3oz. piece of lead under the motor box balances "very" slightly ahead of neutral. Moving anything back, or removing the lead would cause it to be tail heavy.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yard Dart
United States, TN, Woodbury
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
I'm curious what it takes to balance the 6s A60-6xs ?
Letzrock is offline Find More Posts by Letzrock
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Talcum powder does work great. I read that and went right to the garage and tried it out. thanks for the tip Steve
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzrock View Post
I'm curious what it takes to balance the 6s A60-6xs ?
definitely not a problem. the 74 edge i flew (owned by blaiss) was on that setup. Batteries were pretty far forward, but still balanced with room to spare. will probably have to do pullpull though
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzrock View Post
Talcum powder does work great. I read that and went right to the garage and tried it out. thanks for the tip Steve
Glad it helped....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Anybody have any extended servo arms they could recommend?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Yup!!

"Spot-On" doubles..

"Spot-On" singles..

From Aztech Aeromodels

I don't like plastic arms on anything larger than a 60" plane, however, the problem arises that aluminum arms don't come with M2 threads for the ball links used on 3DHS 7X' size planes. My solution to this is to use Dubro "pull/pull" crimps, to reduce the size of the hole. The large Dubro crimps are very close to M2, but a little larger than the 4-40 tapped hole found in aluminum arms (unless you get ones with M3 tapped holes). So, I drill them to about .002" undersize and tap the crimps in, and then cut them off flush..

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
I'm leaning toward a 6S setup because I do prefer a very lightweight 3D plane. It inspires more confidence to me and this is my first plane larger than a 60" wingspan. But is there a big differece in thrust between the typical 8S and 6S setups?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
539 Posts
I am very glad I decided on putting using two elevator servos plus the pull pull rudder. The plane ended up on the nose heavy side.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086